Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Mants
Legendary Member!

Re: Melbourne risks becoming 'a backwater like Adelaide': Brumby

#16 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:34 pm

crawf wrote:Looks like Melbourne is going to become a 'backwater' again, if Brumby stays in charge. Alot of victorians can't stand him, and with comments like this it wouldn't surprise me if he loses the election.

The way the Advertiser has reported it, just confirms we need a new major newspaper. I'm not going to bother reading the comments, its always full of junk from kiddies or people who have no idea what they are talking about.
im sorry but Melbourne will never become a backwater like Adelaide.

:lol:

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by ynotsfables » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 pm

No Clever Alias wrote:Unfortunately we are a backwater... Brumby's right!

And we're a backwater of our own making, due to the insular, backward looking attitude of the majority of our population.

The truth hurts, but denial of the facts mean Adelaide will never move forward!
Don't worry these school yard insults will strengthen us, we are at the begining of a boom and there are many lessons still to be learned.
We won't go down the same path as Victoria, we won't even stoop to their level of ignorance and jealousy, and yes in certain things i do believe they are jealous and envious of us otherwise they would never have stolen our Gran Prix.
The dickeds couldn't even spell or pronounce the word until they got it.
We are a young prosperous city that can sit back and learn from Victoria's mistakes and eventually do far better than them.
I've lived in Melbourne's suburbs and Sydney's however Adelaide is far more to my liking any day. Even the quality of housing is grander and more stylish than the stupid white ant infested timber homes of Melbourne.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:09 pm

Mants wrote:
crawf wrote:Looks like Melbourne is going to become a 'backwater' again, if Brumby stays in charge. Alot of victorians can't stand him, and with comments like this it wouldn't surprise me if he loses the election.

The way the Advertiser has reported it, just confirms we need a new major newspaper. I'm not going to bother reading the comments, its always full of junk from kiddies or people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Do you remember Melbourne in the 90s?, or even read stories of Melbourne used to be like?. It was the biggest shithole

Remember good things, always come to a end...
ynotsfables wrote:Even the quality of housing is grander and more stylish than the stupid white ant infested timber homes of Melbourne.
Yes!, totally agree. Thats one of the things I love about Adelaide.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:51 pm

When I first heard this I got really angry. What a tool I thought. Stupid Victorians I thought. Then I heard Rann say they are just upset we got the Warships, HAHA & that it will be settled over a 'Port and Collingwood match'. Soft effort I thought. Then i settled down.

Now I am thinking about it again. What does he mean by backwater. Are we a backwater? Well. Yes. We are. We don't host any major events, we aren't seen as a major city, we don't get huge investments, nor do we really make the news for anything in particular. He is not paying us out really, just stating a fact, that Melbourne wants to keep its ranking up along with Sydney and the ever growing Brisbane.

Are we a backwater, yes. But, we can change that.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by frank1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Phew! I just finished reading all the responses on the adelaide now site :shock: It is surprising how many South Aussies hate SA and can't wait to leave. I can see the people of Melbourne's point. Adelaide does have problems. People have to remember that Victorians only say things like that because they know SA will whine and respond.

I say laugh it off and think of how pathetic they are by continuously comparing a 'vibrant' city of 4 million to adelaide's
'country town' 1 million over and over. Smells like jealously and economic insecurity

Your right crawf as my family used to live in melbourne in the 80's- early 90's and it wasn't always tall skyscrapers and south bank. It used to be a dump coincidently before SA state bank collapse. Melbourne's prosperity coincided with our state bank collapse, as SA lost alot of intelligent youth to melbourne.

I say bring on the mining and defense and lets show these vics how wrong they are.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:06 pm

My Mum lived in Country Victoria.

A see alot of potential in luring alot of Regional Vics to SA. I think we need to lose the hostilites towards the Vics, I'd rather it just be a bit of heave ho, good old banter.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:31 pm

Jeez I think we should all build a bridge and get over it, you think retaliating against the Victorians out will stop the argueing? They have always thought this way and they always will until we become bigger than them!!

We have only 1 million people, so we have a small imapct on the country. We get sledge by Victorians because we keep trying to proove ourselves to them, that we are trying very hard to make something of ourselves, and do you think we are going to get a big round of applause from them?? Well maybe to shut us up, but they could not care less because Melbourne and Sydney make up over 1/3 of our population so what they do HAS a big impact.

Its like if Virginia gets a retail shopping centre, what would we think?? Most Adelaide people would really just be saying to themselves....'whoppdy do, how exciting'.......not!! However for the Virginian residents, its a big thing and they will get offended by some Adelaide comments, then we will have another Adelaide vs Melbourne battle, but it will be Virginia vs Adelaide.

At the end of the day, Melbourne couldn't give a rats toss about Adelaide, and developments that we think is a big deal.
And Sydney.... well, after talking to some cabbies there, they dont even know Adelaide exists so they dont say anything.

However we gotta get over trying to compete with other cities and try and challenge ourselves to greater limits.

If people wanna leave SA, let them leave as you cannot force people to be where you want them to be. If the state improves in a way that benefits them, then they will come back.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Heres a question, why do people think Adelaide is a backwater?

Because Adelaide isn't a backwater, maybe a few years ago but not now. Some people (including Brumby) need to get their facts straight.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm

crawf wrote:Heres a question, why do people think Adelaide is a backwater?

Because Adelaide isn't a backwater, maybe a few years ago but not now. Some people (including Brumby) need to get their facts straight.

Dude. It is.

The ladder of Australian Cities.

Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane- Perth
Adelaide- Gold Coast

We are probably on par if not about to be over taken by the Gold Coast in terms of imporantance. Effectively we have no power. WHY because we have little popualtion growth, below par econmic growth & below average income.

We are a backwater of the Australian cities. Its not that he is PAYING out Adelaide, Its just fact.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Other than to get a better job, another reason why so many people leave Adelaide to Melbourne and Sydney is so they can live in 'The Cool City.'

Its like when your in high school and you wish you hung around in the cool crowd, so you abandon your friends to join the popular gang (Melbourne) who make fun of the other kids (eg Adelaide). That way, you know that you will never get payed out again, because Adelaidians know that Melbournians are making fun of Adelaide on a daily basis.

However we are too focused on preservation to radically transform ourselves into the cool city that everyone would love to visit. People will say "Yeah but our population is small", but I say to look at Gold Coast, which is half our size and is probably the place that people that the whole country loves to visit. Its a place that even people from Sydney, the place the world falls in love with, will drool over as a great place to be!!

I ask people from Sydney if they would ever move to Adelaide, and most just screw their face up. The best compliment ive got is....yehh its nice.....or the best one I hear is.....yehh its great cos its cheap to live?? Thats like bragging about eating at cafe primos and making it sound better than the siebel?

Mants
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:00 pm

crawf wrote:
Mants wrote:

Do you remember Melbourne in the 90s?, or even read stories of Melbourne used to be like?. It was the biggest shithole

Remember good things, always come to a end...
clearly my comment was made tongue in cheek.

anyway, what is to dis about melbourne. is there a reason why it is one of the most livable cities in the world? the arts culture there is just phenomenal.
ynotsfables wrote:Even the quality of housing is grander and more stylish than the stupid white ant infested timber homes of Melbourne.
have you never set foot in the suburbs of malvern, toorak, kew, canterbury?

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by frank1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:05 pm

Yep, my brother lives in toorak with house mates. The houses are crap as they are damp and have no heating. Outside is nice through.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by SRW » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 pm

JamesXander wrote: We are probably on par if not about to be over taken by the Gold Coast in terms of imporantance. Effectively we have no power. WHY because we have little popualtion growth, below par econmic growth & below average income.

We are a backwater of the Australian cities. Its not that he is PAYING out Adelaide, Its just fact.
Absolute nonsense. The Gold Coast will never be of an importance greater than Adelaide, not simply because it is not a state capital, but because it is not a coherent place and its current importance is almost entirely dependent on it being a tourist destination, with the rest coming from its links to Brisbane.

Adelaide only has a reputation as a 'backwater' because the people of Adelaide perpetuate it. Until they realise that, hey, a city of 1.2 million is not a small city, and that, really, it has a quality of life equal to or better than most Australian and, indeed, world cities, it will not be viewed positively by outsiders.
Keep Adelaide Weird

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:14 pm

Are we seriously comparing house styles now??

Lets compare median stripes while we are at it.....Adelaide is better then Melbourne because the median stripes are clearer....

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 pm

SRW wrote:
JamesXander wrote: We are probably on par if not about to be over taken by the Gold Coast in terms of imporantance. Effectively we have no power. WHY because we have little popualtion growth, below par econmic growth & below average income.

Absolute nonsense. The Gold Coast will never be of an importance greater than Adelaide, not simply because it is not a state capital, but because it is not a coherent place and its current importance is almost entirely dependent on it being a tourist destination, with the rest coming from its links to Brisbane.

Adelaide only has a reputation as a 'backwater' because the people of Adelaide perpetuate it. Until they realise that, hey, a city of 1.2 million is not a small city, and that, really, it has a quality of life equal to or better than most Australian and, indeed, world cities, it will not be viewed positively by outsiders.
But the Gold Coast region is booming. HUGE tourist dollars flow as a result of the city. As the region zooms towards 1 million it will hold about equal power to Adelaide. Almost every year Adelaide is losing power and voice. The only thing that is in our favour is that mining dollars that might start flowing.

And no its not the people of Adelaide who make the place a Backwater, its geographical & population reasons why we are a backwater. We aren't on the East Coast, we are at the bottom of the continent ( not many freights will make the trip) & we have a small population.

Whats to say we aren't a backwater? We aren't booming, we don't have alot of power, we don't get huge tourist numbers, nor do we attract huge investment. Sounds like we are just an ordinary city. Something Melbourne doesn't want to become.

Like I said though, we can change this. Hopefully we follow the WA pattern, emerge from our shell.