Adelaide languishes in survey of desirable capital cities

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide languishes in survey of desirable capital cities

#46 Post by frank1 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44 pm

TooFar wrote:
But here is the news: Adelaide has fallen further behind the other capitals since the 70’s. The fall continues today and will continue into the future. Adelaide is run by conservatives and handicapped by lack of wealth and geography. The majority of the population are anti-development and love the status-quo. Most people with drive & ambition leave the city for more progressive places, thus exacerbating the problem.

There has been no vision, no leadership in over 30 years. In fact the city has gone backwards in a number of areas. Until a leader emerges with a bold vision detailing a new direction, plus the charisma to sell it, the city and state will continue to stagnate and fall behind. Unfortunately I don’t see this happening any time soon. Better to cut and run! Politicians are only concerned with either keeping their party in power or themselves employed.
Man i get sick of reading the same old stuff :roll: WE ALL KNOW ADELAIDE IS NOT PERFECT and we don't need to be constantly reminded of its faults.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by Professor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm

It is not worth getting upset about.

It is clear that SA has languished for many years and that the State Bank debacle cost all of us very dearly. It is also clear that the private sector (in mining, farming, wine. aquaculture and manufacturing) and the Federal public sector (in defence contracts) will lead SA to a much better future.

The relative merits of Adelaide vs the eastern states etc is pointless. The main thing is to make best use of our advantages. Lately that involves gaining whatever leverage and benefit that we can from developing and then having the biggest mine in the world. Hopefully the State government is up to the challenge of maximising benefits to SA but they (like all State governments) are increasingly irrelevant.

The positive signals include more CBD building than has happened in a lifetime, more mineral exploration than has ever occured, more mines than have ever happened, higher population growth than for a decade, much more regional development than ever and (when the drought breaks) some real recovery in the agricultural sector.

I well understand the frustration of those people who really want SA to go ahead and I strongly share their sentiments. But it is not worth having too much angst or getting pissed off at those who may hold a different view or to resort to blaming each other etc etc. There is enough of that crap everywhere else without it contaminating this forum.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by Will » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:31 pm

TooFar: There are 2 types of people who hold Adelaide back. Those who do not want it to change, and those who do not think it can change. Up to this point, you fall into the second category. Because I have looked through all your posts in this forum and they are all negative. Like Frank said, we are all aware of our city's faults, yet most of us understand that nothing useful will be achieved by dwelling on the negative. If you bothered to look through my posts, even on this thread you will see that I acknoledge our faults, yet offer ideas and constructive criticism, not simply say: "Adelaide is a backwater, I'm pissing off overseas".

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by crawf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

TooFar wrote:You are correct, I do have a keen interest in how Adelaide develops. I have spend the majority of my life there. I, like everyone else would love to see 200 meter towers, a modern & comprehensive public transit system and a cross-town freeway.
Yes I would love to see taller buildings, state of the art PT system etc. However there is more to a city than just that.
here is the news: Adelaide has fallen further behind the other capitals since the 70’s. The fall continues today and will continue into the future. Adelaide is run by conservatives and handicapped by lack of wealth and geography. The majority of the population are anti-development and love the status-quo. Most people with drive & ambition leave the city for more progressive places, thus exacerbating the problem.

There has been no vision, no leadership in over 30 years. In fact the city has gone backwards in a number of areas. Until a leader emerges with a bold vision detailing a new direction, plus the charisma to sell it, the city and state will continue to stagnate and fall behind. Unfortunately I don’t see this happening any time soon. Better to cut and run! Politicians are only concerned with either keeping their party in power or themselves employed.

Again its your negative attitude (aswell as NIMBYs) why this city can be a nightmare to live in sometimes, Adelaide is going to go nowhere if people like you keep thinking the place is going backwards and has no future (when it clearly does). I completely disgree with your comments that the majority of the population are anit-development or love the status-quo, you will find majority of the population couldn't care less about developments and there is now a growing number of people (young and old) that want 'change'. If south aussies love the status quo then why did Labor smash the libs in the 2006 election when everyone knew that a win for labor would mean the tramline extension would go ahead and there has been hardly any negative comments towards the growing number of hi-rises for the CBD (such as 20-22 Currie St)

This state does have a vision its just not as pretty compared to interstate atm. However its a vision to make sure SA becomes the economic powerhouse in the future and makes the most of the growing boom. South Australia is currently in overdrive upgrading aging infrastructure such as the South Road Upgrade, tramline extension, new trams/buses, Northern Expressway, $1.7bn city hospital (to replace the disgraceful RAH), other hospital upgrades, new prisons (replacing Yatala and Magill). new densal plant, expansion of Mt Bold resevoir and more projects to come...

We also now have a state of art airport terminal (replacing the sheds), a new bus terminal and Keswick Terminal is now being redeveloped aswell as the whole suburb and many other completed upgrades.

I'll be the first one to say that Adelaide is no perfect city and has it faults, like every city. However I will not agree with the comments that the city is going backwards nor Adelaide having hardly anthing to offer.
Yes Crawf, I have traveled far and wide, have you? You don’t think residents in Brisbane and Perth are not excited about how their cities are growing?

I’m currently living in Philadelphia, The development community are very upbeat these days, The absolutely beautiful Comcast Center is nearly complete and a new 450 meter supertall is on the drawing board. Exciting times indeed.
No, but issues like lack of entertainment, no decent shopping, things to do, liveness of the CBD etc are still talked about issues regardless if Perth is booming.

Brisbane has gone from strength to strength compared to 20 years ago when it was labeled a backwater. Just goes to show how much a city can change when its awash with cash and has vision.
Last edited by crawf on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by TooFar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:33 am

Will wrote:TooFar: There are 2 types of people who hold Adelaide back. Those who do not want it to change, and those who do not think it can change. Up to this point, you fall into the second category. Because I have looked through all your posts in this forum and they are all negative. Like Frank said, we are all aware of our city's faults, yet most of us understand that nothing useful will be achieved by dwelling on the negative. If you bothered to look through my posts, even on this thread you will see that I acknoledge our faults, yet offer ideas and constructive criticism, not simply say: "Adelaide is a backwater, I'm pissing off overseas".
Will, I believe I would fall in category 3, those that have seen no major changes in their lifetime. For some reason I have always had a keen interest in the urban landscape of cities, specially freeways, subways, skyscrapers and the urban grit that comes with high density living. I was also lucky that we traveled around Australia a bit when I was a kid, I guess that explains why I continue to travel to this day. I was born in 1968 so have accumulated about 40 years of history on Australian Urban environments.

During the 70’s and early 80’s, Adelaide was known for its high quality roads, when leaving the state you always notice how worse the roads were in Vic & NSW. From my young perspective, it appeared that in the 70’s there was a sense of prosperity in Adelaide, there was talk of Freeways, Satellite cities, underground train lines ect.
During the 70’s Perth had no freeways or train network, its population was smaller than Adelaide’s. Sydney had no Darling Harbour, its tallest building was Australia Square. Melbourne had no Southbank. Brisbane was considered the country’s backwater and was the butt of many jokes.

Fast forward to now, and Adelaide in considered the country’s backwater, is the butt of many jokes, and has the worse roads and PT infrastructure. There has been no significant developments since the Festival Theater. For all intents and purpose, Adelaide has gone backwards, with many mistakes being made along the way. Compare how much the other capitals have changed in the same time frame, they are almost unrecognizable.

So Will, it is not that I don’t think Adelaide can change, it is the fact that I have seen no changes in my lifetime. Should I keep living in a town that frustrates and annoys me? Where every proposed development is knocked back, or when it does go ahead, it only meets the minimum requirements. There is no vision, no world class designs, everything is mediocre. As I said, I appreciate things like, skyscrapers, subways, freeways, the byproducts of high density living and quality urban design – a city.

Why should I spend my life living in a town that offers none of these? I guess after living in Adelaide as long as I did, and seeing how it has fallen behind, plus living in a number of larger cities around the globe, has left me cynical and disillusioned. Sure, other city’s have their issues, and no place is perfect, but I have given up on Adelaide ever changing in my lifetime.

But having said all that, Adelaide is not a bad place, it does offer a comfortable lifestyle for many. I do have fond memories of growing up there. I still have family and friends living there. So I would be extremely happy to see the place flush with cash and large world class developments popping up. I guess that is why I continue to lurk on this and other forums.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#51 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:48 am

TooFar wrote:There has been no significant developments since the Festival Theater. For all intents and purpose, Adelaide has gone backwards, with many mistakes being made along the way. Compare how much the other capitals have changed in the same time frame, they are almost unrecognizable.
That is complete nonsense and you know it. What about the Convention Centre?, Airport Terminal?, u/c Port Adelaide Redevelopment?, The Precinct/Bus Terminal?, Holdfast Shores (which has completely changed the Glenelg Foreshore) etc...
So Will, it is not that I don’t think Adelaide can change, it is the fact that I have seen no changes in my lifetime. Should I keep living in a town that frustrates and annoys me? Where every proposed development is knocked back
Again that is false, ACC and State Government have a good rate of approving projects.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 am

Shuz wrote:Queen Anne, may I ask - off topic, how does the Columbia Seafirst Centre appeal to you? Ive always liked that buildings in photographs, but just wonder what its like in person? Is it as beautiful as it seems or is it just an ugly black monolith?

Ive noticed a subtle, but evidently growing increase amongst the youth's perception to living in Adelaide. They are liking it, and I think that my generation, of the 88/89/90's are seeking to stay than move on. As for people from the 85/86/87 generations, I have noticed moreso this is the group of people who are leaving the state. I can only hope that the positivity will continue on, and that we'll start to attract a net interstate migration gain than a loss.

I for one, was hell-bent on leaving 3 years ago. Today, I laugh at myself actually.
Hi Shuz,

I don't really like the Columbia Center much. It is very 80's looking and makes the skyline look quite dated imo. And it really is very dark. It makes me think of Miami Vice when I see it - it's eighties 'glamour' style (yikes, showing my age :shock: ). Four years after it was built the people of Seattle pushed through an initiative to limit the height of city buildings, interestingly. I believe that was overturned in 2002, however.

I'm so glad to hear you think there is a changing attitude towards Adelaide amongst people of your age. When I was at uni there was virtually no postivity around me about Adelaide and its potential. Most everyone wanted out. Your generation might be the one that we look back on as the turning point :) I am very impressed by the enthusiasm of the people on this site. Of course its important to be realistic, and Adelaide can't provide everyone's needs, but its encouraging to hear that more and more people are liking what they see in Adelaide.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#53 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:33 am

i've stopped reading posts in this forum...it's a whinge-fest (with a few notable exceptions)

Be constructive, look for opportunities, if none exist then make new ones - you may just surprise yourself.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:51 am

Queen Anne, I absolutely loved Seattle although I only spent a week there. I imagine the weather might get a bit depressing after a while though.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#55 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Hi Tyler and Shuz,

Tyler, yes, we really like Seattle, it's a very genuine feeling place (if that makes sense) and as you know the natural surroundings are gobsmackingingly beautiful. It won't be easy for us to leave here - higher wages, beautiful place, laid-back people, and I love rain! But ultimately, Adelaide does come out on top for us for numerous reasons and we are confident about our decision to go home. Can't wait, actually :)

Shuz, I am going to have a closer look at the Columbia Center next time I am downtown. I wonder if I was a little harsh and formed my opinion of it without having a proper look. I don't like it when people decide that Adelaide is a dump after a quick look, so I should practice what I preach!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Will » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Too Far, just out of curiosity when did you leave Adelaide? and have you been back since?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by monotonehell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Will wrote:Too Far, just out of curiosity when did you leave Adelaide? and have you been back since?
Is a good point, as Adelaide looks amazingly different to only 12 months ago. So much has changed and so many sites have been / are being developed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.