Adelaide boring, Canberra worse - NSW MP says

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Adelaide boring, Canberra worse - NSW MP says

#1 Post by Cruise » Sun May 11, 2008 7:49 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ ... 25465.html

A NSW government minister has declared Adelaide "boring" and Canberra even more so, in response to advertisements urging frustrated Sydneysiders to avoid gridlocked roads by moving interstate.

Roads Minister Eric Roozendaal today dismissed the recent ad campaigns backed by the SA and ACT governments, which have targeted users of Sydney's problematic rail network and its congested roads.

"The South Australian government can do whatever it wants," Mr Roozendaal told reporters in Sydney today.

"But anyone that ... has been to Adelaide knows it is a pretty boring place, and it just can't compare to Sydney.

"Anyone who goes to Canberra knows Canberra is even more boring than Adelaide, and Sydney is the greatest city in the country."

Some of Sydney's major train stations have been plastered with billboards reading: "You'd be home by now if you lived in Adelaide".

It follows a similarly themed campaign targeting the city's often frustrated motorists - a rear-panel advertisement on buses reads: "Like traffic that moves? Move to Canberra"

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide boring, Canberra worse - NSW MP says

#2 Post by frank1 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:25 pm

That is a great idea for advertising :mrgreen: I will never understand why people consistantly say that adelaide is boring. Does tall office buildings make an exciting city :?: , i mean you can't even go in them. Yeah they are real fun :roll:

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Splashmo » Sun May 11, 2008 9:49 pm

frank1 wrote:That is a great idea for advertising :mrgreen: I will never understand why people consistantly say that adelaide is boring. Does tall office buildings make an exciting city :?: , i mean you can't even go in them. Yeah they are real fun :roll:
Sorry frank1, but there's a little more to Sydney than just tall buildings. I don't consider Adelaide boring, but you have to admit it's not as exciting as Sydney (not necessarily a bad thing.)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Sun May 11, 2008 10:03 pm

He is right, Adelaide doesn't compare to Sydney. Besides being capital cities of their respective states, there is nothing much more.

But its a pretty piss weak response from him. Ads targetting Sydneys transport woes, and the NSW transport minister comes out and says other cities are boring and Sydney is the "best"(sounds rather primary school'ish). So in effect, rather then address the issue, Sydneys transport issues, he behaves like a school boy. Yep, that would give me great confidence if I was living in Sydney.

Anyhow...this is a lame as the Vic premier bagging Adelaide.
Who cares? :wank:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 11, 2008 10:06 pm

rev wrote:Anyhow...this is a lame as the Vic premier bagging Adelaide.
Who cares? :wank:
This and the previous Vic premier's statement are just examples of other states' representatives being a little scared and jealous that South Australia has a rosier future than them ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Shuz » Sun May 11, 2008 10:12 pm

They're jealous, is all.

Teehehehehehe.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Sun May 11, 2008 11:38 pm

This is one of the oldest political tricks in the book. When faced by crisis it is always a good idea to divert the public's opinion by stirring up nationalism by attacking your rivals/competitors.

Such a tactic coming from the NSW government does not surprise me. The NSW state government is the most incompetent state government in the country. They go from crisis to crisis, and now they are dealing with Morris Iemma's shameful and unpopular plan to privatise the state's electricity.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 am

I don't know about you guys but after this childish attack,I feel that the turning point for Adelaide is not far off. Adelaide bashing is getting old and boring IMO considering the city is changing for the better these days.

However this SA campaign is a bit cringe worthy considering the state of our PT system is in and the growing congestion on our roads. Though for a 'supposedly' mature MP to have a go at another city then brag on that their city is the best in the country is even more cringe worthy.

NSW looks pretty much screwed at the moment, thanks to the incompetent state government run by the mature and brilliant premier Iemma Morris [sarcasm/]

However this ends up on as EXCLUSIVE NEWS in the Advertiser tomorrow, I'll scream!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 am

crawf wrote:I

However this ends up on as EXCLUSIVE NEWS in the Advertiser tomorrow, I'll scream!

Better start screaming Crawf! This is all over AdelaideNow.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Matt » Mon May 12, 2008 11:40 am

While it's pathetic (and lately, predictable) to divert attention from your own party's woes by ridiculing what's happening in other states/cities, in a lot of ways he's speaking the truth, whether people choose to admit it or not.

As a city, Adelaide itself is boring.

The Festival month is great and attracts a heap of people to the city's cafes, mall and nightspots, bringing with them a sense of excitement and vibrancy that brings the entire city to life.
But without the mass of people and atmosphere that the Fringe, Festival and Clipsal bring, as a city, we are as dull as dishwater for the majority of the rest of the year.

What do we have here that is exciting, iconic, unique or original?
What does Adelaide, as a destination, have to attract people from interstate to visit?

Slim pickings I'm afraid, and without either of these two things, we're going to continue to be Australia's 'punching bag'.

We seem to have a sense of inflated importance here, that springs from an extreme parochialism that I'm yet to quite come to terms with.
If anyone says a bad word about Adelaide, be it truthful or not, people seem to switch to defence mode as if it's some sort of vicious personal attack.

The media here, particularly our lone daily newspaper, doesn't help this.
If it isn't a ridiculous comparison to Times Square in New York, it's talking up this tired "kick a Vic" rivalry with Victoria through reports of "beating them" to a defence contract.

As worthwhile and fruitful such contracts may be - for the love of God... does anyone think Melbournites in general could give a rats?
If they "beat SA" to a contract, do you think they would be slapping it on their front page and lauding it over South Australians like some sort of trophy?
The people I speak to couldn't care less about what's happening over here, because in the grand scheme of things, we're simply not that important.

Adelaide as a city needs to work out what it actually wants to be.
On one hand, we are making laughable comparisons between ourselves and major world metropolises, while on the other, we have a State Government and City Council that are both far too often held to ransom by regressive anti-progress minorities such as the APPA.

Instead of coming up with "outraged" sound-bites when Sydney and Melbourne point out our short-comings, the Government should try a bit of pro-activity and put together some sort of investigation into ways of transforming some of our city's great potential into reality.

If they aren't prepared to do anything about it, don't complain when people continue to state the obvious.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 am

I find those who call one place or another "boring" funny. Haven't they ever lived anywhere else? Where ever you are is "boring". Like I've mentioned before, people who live 10 minutes from Disneyland call Anaheim "boring". There's just as much or as little to do in Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney.

Oh and Matt: every city has groups like the APPA.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Matt » Mon May 12, 2008 11:55 am

I don't doubt that other cities have similar groups, but my point was that groups like the APPA have a hell of a lot more influence over development (or lack of) in Adelaide than they should, particularly when a lot of the time their arguments are flawed and illogical.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Mon May 12, 2008 3:35 pm

monotonehell wrote:There's just as much or as little to do in Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney.
Exactly.

Sure, Sydney has its icons, but these are of little interest to anyone but visiting tourists. For the entertainment of its day to day citizens, what does Sydney or any other Australian city have that Adelaide doesn't? Luna Park? Big whoop.

Fun is what you make for yourself.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Shuz » Mon May 12, 2008 3:43 pm

DAMN RIGHT YOU ARE SRW!

fun is what you make for yourself.
people need to see that there is more than meets the eye.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Ho Really » Mon May 12, 2008 3:51 pm

monotonehell wrote:I find those who call one place or another "boring" funny. Haven't they ever lived anywhere else? Where ever you are is "boring". Like I've mentioned before, people who live 10 minutes from Disneyland call Anaheim "boring". There's just as much or as little to do in Adelaide, Melbourne or Sydney.
Spot on monotonehell, you can get bored anywhere if you are a small-brained person.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.