Super Council Merger

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Super Council Merger

#1 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 am

from The Messenger:
Super council merger talks

Chris Day

04Jun08

A NEW super council could be created by the merger of Adelaide City and West Torrens councils, with their respective mayors keen on the idea.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison and West Torrens Mayor John Trainer this week confirmed they had been discussing the idea privately for the past year, but were yet to raise the issue with their councils or the State Government.

The pair said the move would better serve the state's transport management by bringing Adelaide Airport, the Keswick International Rail Terminal, Adelaide Railway Station and the city's new Franklin St bus station under the control of one council.

Mr Harbison said it could also smooth the way for better links between the airport and the city, possibly including a tramline and increased retail development on Sir Donald Bradman Drv.

The merger would create Adelaide's most powerful local council, spanning from the city to the Adelaide Shores with an annual budget of more than $185 million.

Its population would include more than 72,000 residents and 146,000 workers.

"It's the germ of an idea but it might just have legs," Mr Trainer told the City Messenger.

"It's something I would personally consider looking at, but it has not been raised with the council and we need further discussions to take it further."

Mr Trainer believed a merger would provide a greater economy of scale for both councils, but said research was needed to ensure it would not have a "negative impact on peoples' rates".

He was yet to raise the merger with the State Government but said "now it has been canvassed in the media, perhaps we should".

Mr Harbison has discussed the merger with Mr Trainer on several occasions but the talks are yet to reach a serious level.

"I said to John over a year ago, as a joke, that if West Torrens merged with Adelaide I'd support him (for lord mayor)," Mr Harbison said.

"There would be advantages with West Torrens merging with the city (and) making the airport corridor under one council.

"I think there are big opportunities for development right along that corridor.

"There would be advantages in us working together but it's not an agenda I'm pushing."

Veteran City Councillor Anne Moran, who has designs on the city mayoralty, criticised talk of a merger.

"It will swamp the city with a massive residential vote and the business vote would be lost," Cr Moran said. "It would fill the city with West Torrens councillors who have little idea of the delicate balance between business and residents it would be disastrous."

Local Government Minister Jennifer Rankine would not comment on the possible merger before it was discussed by the two councils and their communities.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Adelaide City Council and West Torrens Merger talks

#2 Post by Shuz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:24 am

Anything that gets rid of Nimbyism will get my vote.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:29 am

I live in West Torrens so if this goes ahead I can finally voice my opinion in elections and so forth. I don't agree that just this area should have a say in the way the capital city is run but it will certianly bring in new results as the demographic is a lot more working class and the "stuck up" North Adelaidians say will be greatly reduced.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by wilkiebarkid » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 pm

Ben wrote:I live in West Torrens so if this goes ahead I can finally voice my opinion in elections and so forth. I don't agree that just this area should have a say in the way the capital city is run but it will certianly bring in new results as the demographic is a lot more working class and the "stuck up" North Adelaidians say will be greatly reduced.
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully it will be the first of many which will eventually give Adelaide a super council like Brisbane. Then, as you say Ben, a vast majority of this city's residents will have a voice on the development of the CBD and immediate corridors. It will certainly reduce the impact of the NA Nimbies.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:31 pm

I too live in West Torrens and welcome this initiative.

I am certain that such a merger would introduce fresh and modern ideas to council, and dilute the extreme influence that NIMBYs have on council elections.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Ben » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:35 pm

No wonder Anne is against it. She wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting elected from the Western Suburbs residents. Her North Adelaide society would suddenly become the minorty and she would be out as fast as she came in.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Yep sounds like a good idea

Next on the agenda should be Walkerville, Unley and St Peters, Norwood & Payneman councils.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Will » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:49 pm

Ben wrote:No wonder Anne is against it. She wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting elected from the Western Suburbs residents. Her North Adelaide society would suddenly become the minorty and she would be out as fast as she came in.
The very fact Anne is against this initiative inspires me with confidence that this is a positive step forward for general progress and development.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:36 pm

Even though I don't live in either council area, this is the best news I've heard all year.
Perhaps there is hope for our little city after all.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:26 pm

Many people of influence in each council (e.g. Ann) will lose their societal standing as a result of a merger. It will be a loong and bumpy ride with lots of gnarling and gnashing of teeth...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by talrok » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi All .. I too live in West Torresn council but my first thought on this was a massive increase to rates .. we are quite fortunate that West Torrens is one of the lower charging councils .. what would this merger mean?? Rates will be rising significantly in the near future anyway due to annual reviews and inflation.

Whilst all my previous posts have been along the lines of "just build the damn thing and forget about Nimby's" I do see part of Moran's point .. the city is the city and to have people as far as Adelaide Shores voting on what will get built on say Rundle Street seems a little strange. People who say live and work on Rundle Street should have more of a say then someone 15 km's away.

I want Adelaide to be a growing, vibrant, PROATIVE city, but is making one large council going to do this??? I don't know. Is this a money raising initiative like most things the government put in place ... all they talked about in the article is the airport, bus terminals, reail terminal .. nothing about it being better, safer, cost effective for the RESIDENTS!!!!! Strange!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by AtD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:37 pm

talrok: The idea between council mergers is do to with cost savings, which means lower rates. Councils mainly deal in the business of contracting suppliers to perform services (such as garbage collection and construction) and size does matter when negotiating costs and margins with big businesses like these. Secondly, it reduces admin costs because there will no longer be the need for two teams of accountants, two teams of lawyers, two teams of planners and so on. Finally it means less red tape and less regulatory quirks between councils, helping reduce the costs of doing business in our over-governed country.

It makes sense for people 15km away to vote on Rundle Street, because they're the people who work there. The capital city is for everyone, not just the upper crust who can afford to live there.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Mants » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:11 pm

crawf wrote:Yep sounds like a good idea

Next on the agenda should be Walkerville, Unley and St Peters, Norwood & Payneman councils.
an unley/burnside/mitcham merge would be preferable.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:11 pm

A Walkervill-ANYTHING merge is needed.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Omicron » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:27 pm

Living at the very top of Marion Council, I get to vote on the basis of developments 20km away that I never visit, use or see, so the distance argument is a bit of a fallacy.
Will wrote:
Ben wrote:No wonder Anne is against it. She wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting elected from the Western Suburbs residents. Her North Adelaide society would suddenly become the minorty and she would be out as fast as she came in.
The very fact Anne is against this initiative inspires me with confidence that this is a positive step forward for general progress and development.
Do you know; I saw her objections and the same warm feeling washed over me.