Official Food Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Food Thread

#46 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:21 pm

That'd be West Terrace :wink:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:40 pm

Edgar wrote:Now I know the whole world is fighting obesity as an effect of the number of fast food restaurants like Maccas, but that aside, the Maccas at the end of Hindley St meets East Terrace is the best. Due to the high turnaround, the chips, nuggets are the best, they are freshly deep fried and is always crunchy. Not sure about the burgers though as they can get quite messy sometimes due to the pace. :D
you have got to be kidding! this is a food thread :wink:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Wayno wrote:
Edgar wrote:Now I know the whole world is fighting obesity as an effect of the number of fast food restaurants like Maccas, but that aside, the Maccas at the end of Hindley St meets East Terrace is the best. Due to the high turnaround, the chips, nuggets are the best, they are freshly deep fried and is always crunchy. Not sure about the burgers though as they can get quite messy sometimes due to the pace. :D
you have got to be kidding! this is a food thread :wink:
:lol: I was going to say the same thing.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

katzchenfisch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#49 Post by katzchenfisch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Wayno wrote:We sometimes go to the Hot Wok restaurant opposite the Boho Bar on Unley Rd. I think it was renamed recently, same owners though. The Chilli Mussels are excellent, and the Salt & Pepper Morton Bay Bugs are just the best!

Dang, i'm drooling on the keyboard again...
Wait, do you mean the Red Bistro, used to be Red Rock? Regardless of if you mean somewhere else, that place is great - the owner is insanely nice, will do you a good deal, and if you have any dietary requirements he'll go way out of his way to meet them. He will do almost any dish gluten free (and totally gluten free - my sister is coeliac and the slightest trace makes her sick as a dog) and we go there for takeout a lot since she can eat everything from there and the food is so good. Not bad laksa, I quite like the seafood one, but the noodles are what I go there for...yum....my favourite is the peanut and coconut sauce one with chicken or duck. Absolutely delish. The singapore noodles are really good and he does tom ka gai soup which is one of my favourite winter pick me ups ever (do not attempt to eat this unless you like chilli).

I want to try Jerusalem now, I've got somewhat addicted to lebanese food in the last year. Yummmm. And ba'lawa is fantastic stuff, and I almost like it better than the greek variety - don't tell the Greeks I know though! Lebanese coffee is wonderful, addictive stuff, though I like mine sweet. My priest assures me that I should practice drinking it bitter and enjoy the taste of the coffee...but I like mine sweet ;)

Anyone know of a good, traditional but not overpriced Greek restaurant? Bonus marks for somewhere that does vegan dishes or if you're Orthodox and actually know the fasting rules, somewhere that sells food that fits that (aka vegan but if it's seafood without a backbone we can eat it). I hate getting stuck somewhere during one of the fasts with nothing to eat! Also, the Greeks have so much good vegan food, why is it that the restaurants only ever sell stuff with a heap of meat in it?

Actually, for that matter, anyone know good vegan places to eat? I'd love to know places that are affordable and in the city (I'll be at Adelaide Uni next year) that do a decent lunch :) Good vegan food is fanastic, bad vegan food is disgusting.

Also - montezumas is a tragedy because they have a sister restaurant called the Aztec, and there's one in Coolangatta, QLD that's pretty good. Why do we have to have montezumas instead?

Best pizza I've ever had in Australia = Earth and Sea which is based in Byron Bay but again there's one in Coolangatta. They sell a pizza with banana on it that has to be tasted to be believed.
Second best pizza is from Bel Gusto in Coromandel Valley up sorta near Blackwood/Belair in the hills. It's on the main road in the weird little shopping centre thing, they make them from scratch in front of you and they are FANTASTIC. They're new and I desperately want them to do well because we haven't had a decent pizza place up here since the Dial a Pizza on Coro parade got bought out last year.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 pm

katzchenfisch wrote:
Wayno wrote:We sometimes go to the Hot Wok restaurant opposite the Boho Bar on Unley Rd. I think it was renamed recently, same owners though. The Chilli Mussels are excellent, and the Salt & Pepper Morton Bay Bugs are just the best!

Dang, i'm drooling on the keyboard again...
Wait, do you mean the Red Bistro, used to be Red Rock?
nope, almost next door though - I forget the new name.

Agree, The Red Bistro is v-nice followed by a few brews across the road...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

katzchenfisch
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#51 Post by katzchenfisch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Ah yup, I know the one now, I'd forgotten about that place. Opposite Boho + just changed name + asian food made me think of Red Bistro though :)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Will » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:00 pm

katzchenfisch wrote:
Anyone know of a good, traditional but not overpriced Greek restaurant? Bonus marks for somewhere that does vegan dishes or if you're Orthodox and actually know the fasting rules, somewhere that sells food that fits that (aka vegan but if it's seafood without a backbone we can eat it). I hate getting stuck somewhere during one of the fasts with nothing to eat! Also, the Greeks have so much good vegan food, why is it that the restaurants only ever sell stuff with a heap of meat in it?

Actually, for that matter, anyone know good vegan places to eat? I'd love to know places that are affordable and in the city (I'll be at Adelaide Uni next year) that do a decent lunch :) Good vegan food is fanastic, bad vegan food is disgusting.

A really good Greek restaurant which is excellent value is Kefi at 61 Tapleys Hill Road GLENELG NORTH. However you have to book in advance as the place is always packed.

And regarding the vegan restaurant, I am not sure if they make exclusively vegan dishes but I found ZENHOUSE at 17 - 19 Bent ST. (off Rundle Street) to be good value and really delicious!

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#53 Post by toby1 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:34 pm

katzchenfisch wrote: Actually, for that matter, anyone know good vegan places to eat? I'd love to know places that are affordable and in the city (I'll be at Adelaide Uni next year) that do a decent lunch :) Good vegan food is fanastic, bad vegan food is disgusting.
Vegan = that place upstairs on Rundle st that I cannot remember the name of now. great place with awesome food but used to be hard to find it when it is open. Still cannot remember the name but is above or close to above Bsharp records. anyeon know the one I mean, and if it is still there?
katzchenfisch wrote: Best pizza I've ever had in Australia = Earth and Sea which is based in Byron Bay but again there's one in Coolangatta. They sell a pizza with banana on it that has to be tasted to be believed.
Second best pizza is from Bel Gusto in Coromandel Valley up sorta near Blackwood/Belair in the hills. It's on the main road in the weird little shopping centre thing, they make them from scratch in front of you and they are FANTASTIC. They're new and I desperately want them to do well because we haven't had a decent pizza place up here since the Dial a Pizza on Coro parade got bought out last year.
Pizza = Good Life! mioght not be convenient for those in the hills but it is worth the trek to Hutt st or Glenelg- mmm had some last night in fact. see goodlifepizza.com if you don't already know about them ...
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:44 pm

katzchenfisch wrote:They sell a pizza with banana on it that has to be tasted to be believed.
Most of the pizzerias in Sweden have a curried banana pizza on the menu. 'Tis an odd delicacy with unclear origins (that the pizzerias are almost exclusively operated by Kurds and other Middle Easters is little clue) but is unfortunately as pitiful as the rest of the pizzas made in Scandinavia. There, lots of dough, a sprinkle of cheese and a sole slice of raw tomato seems to suffice as a 'gourmet delight'.

But back to the point, I'm glad that there exists in the world a banana pizza that does not incite dismay.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:10 pm

our a/c failed yesterday, so my wife an I booked into the Hilton Hotel on VSQ as a treat :-)

We went to British India for dinner - and what a choice! superb food coupled with great wine recommendations, and excellent service. Highly recommended. The decor is very nice as well.

http://www.britishindia.net.au/
british-india.JPG
british-india.JPG (47.07 KiB) Viewed 5620 times

mcardlej
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#56 Post by mcardlej » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 am

Working and living in the city, and being too lazy to make my lunch I have found a couple of staples.

1. Good Choice in the Southern Cross Arcade. - $3.60 vietnamese rolls. - Always a line up, always good. Your choice of Chicken, Pork, Beef or Ham (I've never been game enough to try the ham though)

2. Penang Hawkers Corner, Renaissance Arcade (Behind Mansions Tavern). - Always a lineup and always packed, get there early if you are eating in. i.e. around Midday. Also called PHC for those in the know.

3. Five Star Bakery, Hyde Street just near Hindmarsh Sq. - Cheap Foccacias, unique baked items. Good prices.

Cheers,
James.

Kuitpo64
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#57 Post by Kuitpo64 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:13 am

The Barn Bistro in McLaren Vale does fabulous Tapas. Their menu covers all tastes and the service is very friendly. Their eye fillet is to die for cooked to perfection every time. They have a really extensive wine cellar too. :D

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#58 Post by rogue » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Has anyone been to Sosta Argentinian on Rundle St?

I'm going there in a few weeks and keep hearing mixed reports.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#59 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:24 am

mcardlej wrote:1. Good Choice in the Southern Cross Arcade. - $3.60 vietnamese rolls. - Always a line up, always good. Your choice of Chicken, Pork, Beef or Ham (I've never been game enough to try the ham though)
Okay, if you like that then... I'm almost scared to addict more people... Soonta on Waymouth Street (just down from KWS between Scientology and George's, used to be a doughnut shop) make amazing Viet Rolls. Roast pork with crackling? Spicy pork? Teriyaki? Several other choices plus salads and awesome spring rolls. Everyone I've sent there becomes a slave to the place, they're dearer than Good Choice, but better and larger.
rogue wrote:Has anyone been to Sosta Argentinian on Rundle St?

They are excellent -- if you are not vegetarian. If you can con the rest of your table into it, try the paella!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Prince George » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 am

rogue wrote:Has anyone been to Sosta Argentinian on Rundle St?

I believe that the Queen and I ate a steak from Sosta's at a "Tasting Australia" event years ago, and it was very good. In a nice "know your product" moment, we had been in one of the pavillions talking to the people from Terra Rossa Beef (from the Coonawarra) about their beautifully marbled meat and they mentioned that Sosta's used that beef, and that they had a stall at the event too. So we took that opportunity to check them out and it was excellent, especially considering they were cooking outdoors on a portable grill. As long as they're still using Terra Rossa's meat, I think it's hard to go wrong. Of course, that was years ago ...