Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

Crisp
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Poll pledge: Libs would bid for 2018 Commonwealth Games

#61 Post by Crisp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:17 pm

It would be fantastic to see an international event of this scale held in Adelaide - it would bring in great money before and after the event. We would also get plenty of grants from the government just as Melbourne did. It completely transformed the MCG. Unfortunately it won't happen here as they insist on pissing money away on the outdated, poorly located AAMI Stadium. City West could be a great hub for an event like this - but the way things are going, it looks like we will be second place again.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by Brando » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:58 pm

Cruise wrote:
Brando wrote:Sorry, but i had to laugh reading Foley's comments. This comes from the government that is spending our money doing up AAMI Stadium!!

The irony is tragic Mr Foley, because AAMI is a 'B' Grade stadium in a 'F' Grade location, and you have the audacity to say the CG are.
It's no wonder we have a bad perception from all sides of the border.

Yeah compared to Stadium Australia at Homebush, It's in the middle of no where!!! and it hosted the olypmics!!!
At least Stadium Aust had sufficient PT, surrounding facilities and an obvious reason to go there.

Cruise, do you seriously believe AAMI is the best we can offer, not just SA people but for the 20 weeks of the AFL calender to various interstate teams and supporters?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#63 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Brando wrote:
Cruise wrote:
Brando wrote:Sorry, but i had to laugh reading Foley's comments. This comes from the government that is spending our money doing up AAMI Stadium!!

The irony is tragic Mr Foley, because AAMI is a 'B' Grade stadium in a 'F' Grade location, and you have the audacity to say the CG are.
It's no wonder we have a bad perception from all sides of the border.

Yeah compared to Stadium Australia at Homebush, It's in the middle of no where!!! and it hosted the olypmics!!!
At least Stadium Aust had sufficient PT, surrounding facilities and an obvious reason to go there.

Cruise, do you seriously believe AAMI is the best we can offer, not just SA people but for the 20 weeks of the AFL calender to various interstate teams and supporters?
In it's current state, yes we do deserve a better stadium. I think it would be wise if we hold off making judgement on AAMI just yet. Lets see the plans that are going to be released in December in regards to the $100 million redevelopment. Lets make judgement on it then, remember once the tram line is extended to West Lakes the PT arguement should be resolved.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Paulns » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Cruise wrote:Yeah compared to Stadium Australia at Homebush, It's in the middle of no where!!! and it hosted the olypmics!!!
Hahaha if thats what you think, you have no idea!!!!!! Maybe you should go to Sydney and see for yourself????? What you failed to realise when making that comment is that compared to Syndey, Adelaide is in the fortunate postion of having its CBD relatively central. Sydney's CBD is NOT.

Like I said Homebush is relatively central to Sydney compared to its size and required a large amount of land to construct Olympic Park which was fortunatly avaliable at Homebush which used to be an old Navy ammunitions depo on the banks of the Parramatta River. Besides Western Sydney ALONE has a population double that of SA so how can you say its in the middle of no where?????????

Sydneys way bigger than Adelaide and Homebush's location for the Olympics WAS appropriate because it is relatively central considering the population of over 4 MILLION people....

AAMI Stadiums a joke in a the worst location for Adelaide handsdown.
Crisp wrote:It would be fantastic to see an international event of this scale held in Adelaide - it would bring in great money before and after the event. We would also get plenty of grants from the government just as Melbourne did. It completely transformed the MCG. Unfortunately it won't happen here as they insist on pissing money away on the outdated, poorly located AAMI Stadium. City West could be a great hub for an event like this - but the way things are going, it looks like we will be second place again.
Couldn't agree more. I for one would love to see Adelaide hold the Commonwealth Gamesin 2018!! Victorians love giving SA crap for being boring and backwards and yet Foley says the CG's are second rate. What the?? If the CG's are so B-grade, why then did Melbourne bother holding them???????
Last edited by Paulns on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#65 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 pm

You know, there are plenty of flights out of Adelaide if every thing here is oh so bad

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:08 pm

Yes, AAMI Stadium is not ideal, but I think we should wait until 2018 to build a new stadium... do the critical stuff first; get the trains and tram back on track, get the hospital built and Clipsal set up, get the mining and defence booms in full swing, then you can do the WA thing and throw money at whoever is willing to invest.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#67 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 am

well said

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#68 Post by rogue » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 pm

The Advertiser has decided to have a crack at designing Adelaide's requirements to host the CG's.

Check it out....
http://www.news.com.au//adelaidenow/pdf ... wealth.pdf

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by aussie2000 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Me_Potter_Fan wrote:That plan actually looks quite good imo
I know . . . from the advertiser . . . . . . im scared to

EDIT: does that stadium that they seem to call 'the southern shell' exist? obviously not the name but the stadium? cause it looks HOT plan is great, if only it were real lol :roll:
Last edited by aussie2000 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:00 am

the plan looks a bit like adelaide in 2050 :P

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#71 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 am

ICEs are for InterCity services, not for suburban commute :roll: :roll:

However, looking at it in more detail, I must say it's very plausible. Very do-able. I actually don't mind this at all.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:26 am

the advertisers proposal does look interesting - but i must remind you that it will cost $2B or more to host the games!!! better things for us to focus on for the next decade...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#73 Post by Shuz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Usually the Advertiser is full of shit. But this is one decent and realistic proposal they have for the Games.

I love the way how the facilities form a 'sporting spine' of Adelaide, integrated with the rail corridor and utilising existing space for rejuvenation with little interference to the parklands. It's location is still central and accessible for all, and the athlete's village makes good use of a site already earmarked for redevelopment. The Aquatic centre is well-located, and with a shared rail station to the Torrens waterfront precinct, would be an immediately popular location. The egg-shell stadium is an interesting concept and could become a landmark in itself if designed well. A re-built basketball & netball precinct would make good use of the space and give reason for those shoddy courts on Anzac Highway to be dismantled. The rail station at the Adelaide showgrounds could also be shared with a new hospital on the Keswick Barracks site.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#74 Post by Will409 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Only just saw the plans earlier today in the Advertiser and I have to say, I am impressed. As shuz has already said, it is a workable plan and makes good use of public transport although I would personally switch a couple of things around (only minor things). Now that I have seen the plans, I would support a proposal for the Commonwealth Games but I would still wait until say 2020 or 2022 when everything has been developed or upgraded.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by Somebody » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:39 pm

Norman wrote:ICEs are for InterCity services, not for suburban commute :roll: :roll:
What are Caboolture to Nambour shuttles? They sure aren't intercity.

Let's not mention the ICE that used to do Yeerongpilly to Corinda shuttles, which take 5 minutes end to end.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.