Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
22%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
32%

Total votes: 94

madelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

#196 Post by madelaide » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am
Lifted from Will in another thread who lifted from realestate.com, but here's a photo that demonstrates the potential of the central bus precinct for an athlete's village:
After researching at the land allocated in Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Birmingham for their Commonwealth Games Athletes Villages, I'm not sure the Adelaide bus station precinct is large enough to host 7000+ athletes, coaches, officials, etc.

The only other continuous piece of land in the town is around the current Australia Post Delivery Centre. If this magnificent building were to be reconstructed on a location within the Airport boundary, and a number of less significant buildings remove from the area from West Terrace to Byron Place, between Grote and Gouger streets, I would back this as adequate for the Games. Conversion from Athletes apartments to regular residential post-event is possible, referencing the successful repurposing in Melbs and the Gold Coast. Across Gouger Street, between Bailey and Selby streets, retail, bars, coaches, officials and media accommodation would allow a less congested precinct.

What say you?
Attachments
Adelaide Commonwealth Games VIllage.jpg

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#197 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm

madelaide wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:12 am
Lifted from Will in another thread who lifted from realestate.com, but here's a photo that demonstrates the potential of the central bus precinct for an athlete's village:
After researching at the land allocated in Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Birmingham for their Commonwealth Games Athletes Villages, I'm not sure the Adelaide bus station precinct is large enough to host 7000+ athletes, coaches, officials, etc.

The only other continuous piece of land in the town is around the current Australia Post Delivery Centre. If this magnificent building were to be reconstructed on a location within the Airport boundary, and a number of less significant buildings remove from the area from West Terrace to Byron Place, between Grote and Gouger streets, I would back this as adequate for the Games. Conversion from Athletes apartments to regular residential post-event is possible, referencing the successful repurposing in Melbs and the Gold Coast. Across Gouger Street, between Bailey and Selby streets, retail, bars, coaches, officials and media accommodation would allow a less congested precinct.

What say you?
It's a good piece of land, and I know many would like to see the distribution centre demolished. But my opinion is that I see no justifiable reason to contain the 'village' to a contiguous piece of land in a city the size of Adelaide. The city itself is a village, so there's no problem with having multiple sites. If more capacity is needed than can be provided at the bus precinct, there's nearby sites including 171-207 Gouger Street. The solution must benefit Adelaide's long term development, rather just tick the box of putting 7,000+ people on top of each other for three weeks for a vague sense of community. And the Games committee recognises now that these events have to more affordable, durable and beneficial -- else they'll continue to have fewer if any cities apply to host.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#198 Post by rev » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm

If the athletes village is built to a high standard, and design wise is exceptional, there's no reason why it cant be reused by selling apartments off, leasing a building or two to hotel chains, and using other parts for low cost housing and even housing for the homeless.

Another idea is to have investors and owner/occupiers buy in to the village development. You could have the state gov./organizing body, renting the rooms back for the duration of the event, with the rental income being tax free. Im sure they could call it a grant or something.

But above all else the design needs to be exceptional.