If you could demolish any buildings in Adelaide...

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: If you could demolish any buildings in Adelaide...

#31 Post by rev » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the entire eastern side if Hindman sh square opposite Conservatory.
That entire block of buildings particularly the ones fronting the square.
Hopefully in the next 5-10 years we see some nice, tallish buildings replace them. Hotel and apartments would be ideal.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Goodsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 pm

The West Terrace Cemetery

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:The West Terrace Cemetery
why? ever participated in one of their organised tours? fascinating stuff...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:08 pm

I think we should do a paris and dig them up and make tunnels out of them

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Wayno » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:33 pm

Waewick wrote:I think we should do a paris and dig them up and make tunnels out of them
now you're thinking - a catacomb! (catacombs?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Adelaideian
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#36 Post by Adelaideian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:55 am

Adelaide Central Plaza.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:18 am

I would like to see the citi centre arcade block demolished and office tower. This can be totally transformed into an international fashion hub similar to Melbourne Central. It would have Zara, Topshop, Uniqlo, H & M, Williams Sanoma all the brands that are interstate that can not find a space in the mall. It could even house a Debenhams which is looking at opening in Australia. Above this would be a new 5 star hotel. A Park Hyatt or similar with cafes around the Hindmarsh Square parameter.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by jk1237 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Ben wrote:I would like to see the citi centre arcade block demolished and office tower. This can be totally transformed into an international fashion hub similar to Melbourne Central. It would have Zara, Topshop, Uniqlo, H & M, Williams Sanoma all the brands that are interstate that can not find a space in the mall. It could even house a Debenhams which is looking at opening in Australia. Above this would be a new 5 star hotel. A Park Hyatt or similar with cafes around the Hindmarsh Square parameter.
ha, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm still baffled how there is absolutely no sign, not even one little hint of any of these H&M, Top Shop, Uniqlo ever opening in Adelaide. Its starting to fascinate me

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by Brucetiki » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:01 pm

jk1237 wrote:
Ben wrote:I would like to see the citi centre arcade block demolished and office tower. This can be totally transformed into an international fashion hub similar to Melbourne Central. It would have Zara, Topshop, Uniqlo, H & M, Williams Sanoma all the brands that are interstate that can not find a space in the mall. It could even house a Debenhams which is looking at opening in Australia. Above this would be a new 5 star hotel. A Park Hyatt or similar with cafes around the Hindmarsh Square parameter.

I'm still baffled how there is absolutely no sign, not even one little hint of any of these H&M, Top Shop, Uniqlo ever opening in Adelaide. Its starting to fascinate me
Have H&M and Uniqlo expressed any signs of expanding outside their current arrangements. Heard some rumours H&M wanted to set up in Brisbane, but haven't heard about any of Uniqlo's expansion plans to date.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Ben » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:10 am

Brucetiki wrote:
jk1237 wrote:

Have H&M and Uniqlo expressed any signs of expanding outside their current arrangements. Heard some rumours H&M wanted to set up in Brisbane, but haven't heard about any of Uniqlo's expansion plans to date.
I'm sure I read both were going to Brisbane, Perth and one of them Canberra. The unfortunate fact is there is no where in Adelaide CBD unless there is a major redevelopment of a space. I can only see City centre or Southern Cross arcade being redeveloped. City Cross is also under developed but I don't see anything happening there anytime soon.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#41 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 am

Uniqlo have said they are looking to expand rapidly. They like to enter markets with flagship stores though, and will hold off until a suitable site is available.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#42 Post by rev » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:23 pm

Crazy idea...

Demolish everything. At least the entire CBD/5000 post code area and North Adelaide.
Return that entire region back to it's natural elevations and slopes and what not.

And then start fresh, and rather then a planned grid of roads, something not so planned. Like other cities, where roads aren't necessarily planned to a grid alignment.
I wonder what the outcome would be, how many more laneways would come alive at night, or be home to cafes and other shops during the day.
How would traffic be affected, if we had more one way streets, would it flow better, or would it be even worse come peak hour.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#43 Post by crawf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Citi Centre is a mess, underwhelming and needs to be demolished. What you proposed would be absolutely perfect for it.
jk1237 wrote: I'm still baffled how there is absolutely no sign, not even one little hint of any of these H&M, Top Shop, Uniqlo ever opening in Adelaide. Its starting to fascinate me
There has been quite a few articles mentioning Adelaide is high on their radar. The biggest problem nation wide is just the lack of suitable sites.

I have a feeling some of these stores (e.g. Topshop, H&M) will open in Westfield Marion or another complex before the city.

The Age - April 2014
H&M chief executive Karl-Johan Persson, who was in Melbourne today to prepare for the launch of its maiden store in Australia said the Swedish retailer is already scouting for properties in Australian capital cities to aggressively roll out its stores.

"In any market we go into we take it step by step, we have a huge respect for Australia even though we are successful in all the markets we have entered into so far, it's a new set up for us, a fantastic new store and I think it will be successful, and if it is, well, we are already now looking for stores in Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and some other cities," Mr Persson said
After going to the new H&M store in Sydney yesterday, this needs to come to Adelaide asap. Amazing!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#44 Post by Norman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:55 pm

What about the GPO development?

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#45 Post by SouthAussie94 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:36 am

Norman wrote:What about the GPO development?
Is there a significant retail space proposed in this development? Also, would this be too far from the Mall for a Topshop, H&M etc to want to set up here?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation