Torrens Swamp...

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Torrens Swamp...

#61 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Howie wrote:Looked pretty full from about 6pm tonight... all the boats were floating again!
It could be, the Torrens was still flowing when I was cruising up the OBahn at around 5pm.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#62 Post by Pikey » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:28 am

Good to see that yesterday and last night's rain has totally refilled the torrens. It was good seeing it back to it's former state this morning.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am

Does the ACC periodically flush the Torrens? maybe it should be an annual (mid-winter) occurrence...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#64 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Sorry to being a thread back from the dead, but is there a single body in charge or at least championing the improvement of water quality in the Torrens?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#65 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 pm

Waewick wrote:Sorry to being a thread back from the dead, but is there a single body in charge or at least championing the improvement of water quality in the Torrens?
I remember there was a water management board responsible for the Torrens, but a cursory Google search doesn't reveal any active links, suggesting it may have been axed in the government's recent board cull. There is an active Mount Lofty Natural Rasource Board that seems to have some responsibility, but it would appear that oversight generally is the realm of the environment ministry.
Last edited by SRW on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#66 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 pm

SRW wrote:
Waewick wrote:Sorry to being a thread back from the dead, but is there a single body in charge or at least championing the improvement of water quality in the Torrens?
I remember there was a water management board responsible for the Torrens, but a cursory Google search doesn't reveal any active links, suggesting it may have been axed in the government's recent board cull. There is an active Mount Lofty Natural Rasource Board that seems to have some responsibility, but it would that oversight is generally is the realm of the environment ministry.
Yeah I can't find anything. Bit disappointing really.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#67 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:07 am

I agree that there should be someone or something whose specific role is the health and future of the Torrens.

Around 2000, Michael Harbison the mayor at the time promoted a plan that was basically the idea of an architect called Robert Cheesman to create where the new RAH is a large recreational lake extending from North Terrace to Pinky Flat. As I understand it the old Adelaide Gaol would be a rail and bus terminal instead of Keswick, joining the metropolitan broad gauge system to the standard gauge national system. The Thebarton Police Barracks would become the interstate bus terminal, co-located with the rail terminal. There would be a spur line with a shuttle light rail to the city, crossing the new lake, and perhaps extending along the west side of North Terrace as a subway.

The plan would give Adelaide a large recreational lake at its heart, not just a puddle for paddle boats.

It seemed a great idea, better than 'wasting' in urban planning terms such an important site as the former rail yards on a utility building like a hospital. It would probably have been cheaper too.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#68 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:49 am

A larger Torrens lake idea comes up every few years. People keep forgetting that there's a minor fault line crossing the Torrens Valley just downstream from the weir which precludes such an idea.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Waewick

#69 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:A larger Torrens lake idea comes up every few years. People keep forgetting that there's a minor fault line crossing the Torrens Valley just downstream from the weir which precludes such an idea.
Not forgetting.

Didn't even realise that was there or was an issue.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#70 Post by rev » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:00 pm

monotonehell wrote:A larger Torrens lake idea comes up every few years. People keep forgetting that there's a minor fault line crossing the Torrens Valley just downstream from the weir which precludes such an idea.
Have you seen my idea for a larger Torrens that would be extended into the eastern and southern parklands? Now that's nation(or state) building.

It's ok don't worry about the fault line, we will hire the same Chinese companies that moved mountains in China to move our fault line.
Given how most South Australian's still fill bitter towards Victoria, we can move it to the border and direct it towards Serviceton..I don't know what the 300 odd good people of Serviceton have done wrong to us, but Victorians you know. That'll teach them for dropping the inter-connector with us last week as well.
And if that doesn't work, there's plenty of Italian and Greek concreters in this state who can mix a mean batch of cement and we can fill that fault line up with so much cement it will be too scared to give us a shake.

Seriously, I should run from Premier of this state.
My Torrens plan will make the Yarra River and Sydney Harbor look like the Yarra Swamp and Sydney Swamp. We can dump the excess dirt and sludge dug up in the expansion, in the Yarra and Sydney Harbor, aiding in their transformations to swamps.

Then when it's done, and the fault lines been moved of course to target Victorians, the typical postcard of Australia wont be of Sydney harbor with the bridge and opera house, but of Adelaide's Torrens canal, festival theater, and Intercontinental.

It's a genius plan.

We will build wind farms that double as 'pollution blowers' aimed at Victoria. Thunderstorm asthma? haha they haven't seen anything yet.

REV 2018
Make SA Rev Again

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by Goodsy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:07 am

rev wrote:
Have you seen my idea for a larger Torrens that would be extended into the eastern and southern parklands? Now that's nation(or state) building.

It's ok don't worry about the fault line, we will hire the same Chinese companies that moved mountains in China to move our fault line.
Given how most South Australian's still fill bitter towards Victoria, we can move it to the border and direct it towards Serviceton..I don't know what the 300 odd good people of Serviceton have done wrong to us, but Victorians you know. That'll teach them for dropping the inter-connector with us last week as well.
And if that doesn't work, there's plenty of Italian and Greek concreters in this state who can mix a mean batch of cement and we can fill that fault line up with so much cement it will be too scared to give us a shake.

Seriously, I should run from Premier of this state.
My Torrens plan will make the Yarra River and Sydney Harbor look like the Yarra Swamp and Sydney Swamp. We can dump the excess dirt and sludge dug up in the expansion, in the Yarra and Sydney Harbor, aiding in their transformations to swamps.

Then when it's done, and the fault lines been moved of course to target Victorians, the typical postcard of Australia wont be of Sydney harbor with the bridge and opera house, but of Adelaide's Torrens canal, festival theater, and Intercontinental.

It's a genius plan.

We will build wind farms that double as 'pollution blowers' aimed at Victoria. Thunderstorm asthma? haha they haven't seen anything yet.

REV 2018
Make SA Rev Again

You aren't thinking big enough rev, we need to dig out the entire Torrens all the way to the coast and widen the entire thing. A Cruise Ship terminal right next to Adelaide Oval, the KI Sealink integrated into the Adelaide Train Station. Now that's a vision

[Shuz]

#72 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:28 am

I didn't know the red mitsubishi pills were still in circulation.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.