Torrens Swamp...

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Torrens Swamp...

#1 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:27 am

Oh dear, hope this is fixed up before the Festival season but I don't think it will be :( . What a waste of water!

Torrens Lake a stinking mud hole after electrical malfunction
Article from: The Advertiser

* Font size: Decrease Increase
* Email article: Email
* Print article: Print
* Submit comment: Submit comment

MICHAEL MILNES

February 12, 2009 09:10am

TORRENS Lake is a stinking mud hole this morning - and is unlikely to refill until more rain - after an electrical fault overnight drained it of millions of litres of water.

The malfunction opened the weir gates, causing water levels to drop by more than two metres.

Adelaide City Council staff were forced to manually wind the weir shut to stop water rushing out.

Parts of the Lake are entirely without water, revealing tonnes of rubbish - including bikes, a car body and witches' hats - on the bottom of the Lake.

Adelaide City Council says an investigation is underway but it appears an electrical malfunction caused the gate to open.

And the Council warned that the lake may remain without water for an extended period.

"The Lake is unlikely to refill until water flows from the catchment area upstream following a rainfall event," the Council said in a statement.

"The higher sections of the Lake have been the worst affected, with the bottom of the Lake now visible in several locations.''

Council environmental officers will assess the lake this morning to determine the overall impact on the lake and areas surrounding it.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: [] News: Adelaide City Council

#2 Post by Ben » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 am

crawf wrote:Oh dear, hope this is fixed up before the Festival season

Torrens Lake a stinking mud hole after electrical malfunction
Article from: The Advertiser

MICHAEL MILNES

February 12, 2009 09:10am

TORRENS Lake is a stinking mud hole this morning - and is unlikely to refill until more rain - after an electrical fault overnight drained it of millions of litres of water.

The malfunction opened the weir gates, causing water levels to drop by more than two metres.

Adelaide City Council staff were forced to manually wind the weir shut to stop water rushing out.

Parts of the Lake are entirely without water, revealing tonnes of rubbish - including bikes, a car body and witches' hats - on the bottom of the Lake.

Adelaide City Council says an investigation is underway but it appears an electrical malfunction caused the gate to open.

And the Council warned that the lake may remain without water for an extended period.

"The Lake is unlikely to refill until water flows from the catchment area upstream following a rainfall event," the Council said in a statement.

"The higher sections of the Lake have been the worst affected, with the bottom of the Lake now visible in several locations.''

Council environmental officers will assess the lake this morning to determine the overall impact on the lake and areas surrounding it.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
It won't get refilled until a "significant rainfall event". Well as we are in the middle of a drought. This is going to be one big ugly sight for a very long time.

From The Advertiser:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 am

Not very deep the Torrens

I wonder if they will find a dead body?, they have already found a car, bikes, shopping trolley, rubbish etc. Good time to give a major clean up me thinks

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 am

I can only laugh!

This is an absolute discrace! People are going to come here for Various events and instead of seeing an allready crappy river fornt, they are going to see an absolute shit hole...

Well done Adelaide city council!
South Australia the Festival State

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by Paulns » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:08 am

All I can say is, I hope we don't have another heat wave in March....... This place going to stink. Good chance to get in there now and give it a good clean out.
crawf wrote:Oh dear, hope this is fixed up before the Festival season but I don't think it will be
I hope they do something about this situation asap because at the moment its a disgrace and an embarrassment.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 am

joshzxzx wrote:I can only laugh!

This is an absolute discrace! People are going to come here for Various events and instead of seeing an allready crappy river fornt, they are going to see an absolute shit hole...

The Torrens Riverfront is quite picturesque, well it was...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 am

God, stop whinging about it. What's done is done.
Can we at least seize on the oppurtunity to actually, physically clean it up? I'd help volunteer to.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:32 am

crawf wrote:
joshzxzx wrote:I can only laugh!

The Torrens Riverfront is quite picturesque, well it was...
Yeah your right it is nice, I just wish that the counsil would get off their ass and actually allow developments to occur on the river front!
South Australia the Festival State

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 am

This could only happen in Adelaide, typical.

It is a disgrace that this much water has gone to waste considering the drought, electrical malfunction or not.

It reminds me of the early 90's when the Lake was drained to clean it up expect that was planned and this was not. There was so much more rubbish in it back then too.

It is a good oppurtunity to clean it up but seriously this will have a negative impact on our reputation that we were just starting to claw back. It looks terrible and is highly visible for all visitors to the CBD and flying into Adelaide by plane etc.

Watch all the Adelaide jokes start to fly around again now.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:35 am

you have got to be joking. Im speechless

Quite amusing really. Im going in now to have a look :lol:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:36 am

I am too, It's too funny to not miss it.

I guess things really are going up shit creek now :P
Hahahaha.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:58 am

UrbanSG wrote:This could only happen in Adelaide, typical.

It is a disgrace that this much water has gone to waste considering the drought, electrical malfunction or not.

It reminds me of the early 90's when the Lake was drained to clean it up expect that was planned and this was not. There was so much more rubbish in it back then too.

It is a good oppurtunity to clean it up but seriously this will have a negative impact on our reputation that we were just starting to claw back. It looks terrible and is highly visible for all visitors to the CBD and flying into Adelaide by plane etc.

Watch all the Adelaide jokes start to fly around again now.
Once its cleaned up which should be done ASAP. It wont look as bad

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

TEMP

#13 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:03 am

Hahaha, highly unlikely crawf. It won't look as bad until it is refilled with water again and that could be a while away.

Simply cleaning it is only half the issue. It will still look like an empty mud hole. Plus a lot of those remaining small pond areas will dry up quickly without a large body of water. Evaporation will increase rapidly.

Has anyone thought about the wildlife either? A lot of nests and birdlife along the Torrens, added problem for them in the drought!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:17 am

I'm going to have to check this out today

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by mattblack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:21 am

The lake was actually closed to recreational stuff yesterday due to a blue-green algae bloom. Guess this is one way to fix that problem.