Help for Alpine's sub-contractors?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Help for Alpine's sub-contractors?

#1 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 pm

If some of Alpine Constructions' sub-contractors are at risk due to Alpine's collapse, why not offer them work in Gillard's $14.2 billion school construction program?

If an at risk company had government-guaranteed work at a fixed date in the future, surely the company's bank would help keep the company going until the work eventuated?

If SA got 10% of the grants it would mean $1.4 billion of construction work. Alpine's subbies are owed a good proportion of the $8 million Alpine owes. The school work is a few months away. I'm sure there is a way to join the dots.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Help for Alpine's sub-contractors?

#2 Post by AtD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Government should not be in the business of supporting an individual private enterprise directly, IMO. The "stimulus" work should (and probably will) go through the same tender process all government projects go through.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by stumpjumper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Under normal circumstances, I'd agree with you, AtD.

I understand there won't be a normal tender process. There will instead be a preselected panel, with work matched to builders by Rod Hook and Bob Boorman, with no reference to anyone else or appeal. (I think that if that is the system, then it's highly questionable, but in ICAC free SA, anything goes.)

So, as the $14.7 billion has been committed, and considering the funds, like the two 'cash splashes', are meant to stimulate the economy and to create jobs, why not use some of it to save jobs in SA?

This isn't about saving Alpine from the consequences of any bad management, but about helping Alpine's 'innocent' subbies.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Neither the receivership nor the recession are an exceptional occurrence, IMO. It's a shame the Govt has chosen to ignore the tender process. Another example of the view, "any spending is a stimulus."

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Joely » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:05 pm

I know it's bloody frustrating. My dad works in the construction industry and Alpine owes us $130,000 which is supposed to be our entire year's profit. I really don't know if we're going to see any of it.