Bus routes.

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
xadelad
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Bus routes.

#1 Post by xadelad » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Can someone please tell me (a) what was the route of the Harcourt Gardens bus service, and (b) at what stop on the Glenelg tram service did the Harcourt Gardens bus service cross the tram line ??

Was it Black Forest ?? I personally don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Bus routes.

#2 Post by Norman » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Where is this Harcourt Gardens?

xadelad
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#3 Post by xadelad » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:50 pm

It was somewhere out in the direction of Edwardstown, but I'm not sure if it was east, or west, of South Road.
It is over 45 years since I left Adelaide and I noticed, when looking through a street directory, that the suburb is no longer listed.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Possibly 241 or 242 down Towers Tce. Closest Tram stop on route would be Winifred Ave Tram - Stop 8?. But I don't know what the bus numbers would have been back then. (All that's left of the suburb is the usual, a school named after it)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Shuz » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Harcourt Gardens either was the former suburb name of Edwardstown, or was amalmagated into Edwardstown. The 'area' lies west of South Road, and covers the southern half of what is Edwardstown today. The kindergarten in the area still goes by the name of Harcourt Gardens Kindergarten.

The bus route that currently services the area is the 241 and 242, which operates along Towers Terrace. This bus crosses over the tram tracks in the suburb of Glandore, at the Beckman Street tram stop - stop 8. Whether or not previous bus services followed the same route, I do not know of.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:40 pm

SNAP!

If both Shuz and I say it -- IT'S TRUE! :lol:

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Omicron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:08 pm

I dislike the 241. It does not offer me the convenience or the timeliness I desire.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by crawf » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:24 pm

I dislike the fact that there could be bus strikes this week :(

xadelad
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by xadelad » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:37 pm

Thank you, folks, for all the responses to my query.

I think that we've established that the relevant stop was not Black Forest.

Regards, Ron.

P.S. As a matter of interest, what is the procedure for loading a photograph into this thread ?? And don't get too technical with your answers, neither, because I'm very much a Rookie on such things.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by Omicron » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Scroll down the page until you get to some blank space, put blu-tack on the back of the picture, and press firmly onto the screen.

xadelad
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by xadelad » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Yeah, well, that makes sense, too - in an Australian kind of way.....

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Omicron wrote:Scroll down the page until you get to some blank space, put blu-tack on the back of the picture, and press firmly onto the screen.
Excuse Omi, I guess he didn't get his tea and crumpets this morning...

To post a picture, you need to either host it off site and surround a URL pointing to it with Image
eg: Image

Or if your account allows it you can use the upload attachment tab below your post (I think there's restrictions on new accounts and the use of this facility?) Browse to your picture (make sure it's of a suitable size and format for the web), add a comment if you wish and then upload it. When the file's finished uploading you click the "place inline" button (this puts some code into your post. Edit for placement and submit your post.

The result looks like this.
logo_senadl.png
logo_senadl.png (32.64 KiB) Viewed 5478 times

xadelad
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by xadelad » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Yeah, well, that sounds all totally confusing (about par for the course when it to mentioning me and computers in the same breath) so I'll give it a bash sometime..

Now, what did he say ?? Put the image in the Delete file, hit esc and press button "B" to see if you get your money back.

Perfectly simple - clear as mud.

Thank you, I'll give it a go in due course.

sherpa
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by sherpa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:40 am

Hi All,
I realise that this is a trifle late. I can confirm most of the answers already posted. My family moved to Forbes (another now deceased suburb) in 1955, and at that time the Harcourt Gardens bus no longer terminated at that suburb but went beyond it - to Sturt Road, I think. Before our time this service must have terminated at Harcourt Gardens as can be seen in the 1949 Gregory's Street Directory at www.osmaustralia.org/gregorysmaps.php (see Map 19) which shows that Towers Tce, along which the service ran, actually itself terminated at Harcourt Gardens. The start of the service was announced in the Advertiser of 29-3-1950, (see trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50214480), and it ran until the general MTT reorganisation of the Adelaide public transport system in the mid 1970s.

It is interesting to note on the 1949 directory that the suburb called Forbes did not yet appear. I believe that this suburb name was introduced in the mid 1950s when the Forbes Infant and Primary School opened in Thomas Street, but I could be wrong. I'm not sure about Harcourt Gardens, but Forbes was incorporated into South Plympton during the consolidation of suburb names prior to the introduction of postcodes in the 1960s when many old suburb names, like York and Chicago, disappeared. There is still (or was until about 4-5 years ago) a bus depot yard in Aberfeldy Ave and presumably this was originally the depot for the Harcourt Gardens service.

Ron.