Adelaide City Council Elections

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

Adelaide City Council Elections

#1 Post by nimeton » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:36 am

Couldn't find an appropriate pre existing thread. Feel free to move...

Moran to run for Lord Mayor

ABC News
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 610939.htm
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran says she will run for Lord Mayor. (ABC News)

Map: Adelaide 5000
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran says she will run for the office of Lord Mayor.

Ms Moran has been a councillor for 15 years and is one of just two women on the 12 member council.

Ms Moran says while she does not accuse any one individual of sexism, females are being overlooked by the male-dominated council.

"I think it's overdue my turn and also I think it's time for another woman to be at the helm," she said.

"I think we've had enough of the almost entirely male councils and I think it's time to have the woman's touch."

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide City Council Elections

#2 Post by Howie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 am

It would be fantastic to hear from the councillors on our forums. David, Stephen, Michael?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh god. Not Anne Moron. _facepalms_

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 pm

Let's try to keep this thread constructive. The ACC have been good to S-A in the past by sharing their thoughts, it'd be really good to hear who's running at the next election and their platforms so we can make an unbiased decision.

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Benski81 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:19 pm

nimeton wrote:Couldn't find an appropriate pre existing thread. Feel free to move...

Moran to run for Lord Mayor

ABC News
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 610939.htm
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran says she will run for Lord Mayor. (ABC News)

Map: Adelaide 5000
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran says she will run for the office of Lord Mayor.

Ms Moran has been a councillor for 15 years and is one of just two women on the 12 member council.

Ms Moran says while she does not accuse any one individual of sexism, females are being overlooked by the male-dominated council.

"I think it's overdue my turn and also I think it's time for another woman to be at the helm," she said.

"I think we've had enough of the almost entirely male councils and I think it's time to have the woman's touch."
No I think we've had enough of past Adelaide City councils in general making poor decisions and pushing selfish agendas. :roll:

What a stupid thing to say, gender should NEVER be a reason for electing someone to such a position. I don't care if it's a woman's touch or a man's touch to the council leadership I think we just want someone who is IN-touch. It has to come down to merit and deserving the position as subjective as that may be.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Why would anyone vote for her? Look how egotistic she's coming off as. "My turn." "My touch". "My this". "My that". Dictatorship anyone?

Yarwood should be the Lord Mayor. He's done a brilliant job as deputy so far, and would help lift the ACC's profile to have someone fresh, youthful and open-minded at the forefront.

Oh, and would anyone so kindly contend the issue of height limits being removed? I hear its a vote-winner.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:32 pm

Shuz wrote:
Oh, and would anyone so kindly contend the issue of height limits being removed? I hear its a vote-winner.
We can't vote

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AtD » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm going to copy-pasta some stuff of the ACC website, because I'm into this sort of thing and I still had no clue how it worked until I looked it up.
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/coun ... tions.html <- more detail

The election is carried out via mail.

AtD's 5 minute copy-pasta'd guide to the ACC election

Who can vote?
You must be over 18 and either
* A registered resident of the City of Adelaide; or
* An owner of rateable property within the City of Adelaide; or
* An occupier of rateable, non-residential property; or
* A nominee of a body corporate; or
* A nominee of a group (a group comprises joint owners of any rateable property or joint occupiers of non-residential rateable property).

You will already be on Council’s voters roll if:

* you are on the House of Assembly Roll in the Adelaide City Council area, or
* you have registered with Council as a resident in the City, or
* you are an owner of rateable property within the City of Adelaide

You may already be on Council’s voters roll and will be entitled to enrol on Council’s voters roll if:

* you are an owner of property in the city
* an occupier of non-residential property in the city

If your name or address has changed recently, you will need to complete a new enrolment form to update your details.

Close of rolls - Mid August 2010
2010 Ballot Packs mailed out
(Between 14 and 21 days before close of voting) Late October 2010
Close of voting Friday, 12 November 2010
Vote count Saturday, 13 November 2010

Who am I voting for?
There are actually five elections that are held at the same time:

1. the election of Lord Mayor – elected across the whole Council Area
2. the election of Five (5) Area Councillors – elected across the whole Council Area
3. the election of Two (2) Ward Councillors – elected for the North Ward
4. the election of Two (2) Ward Councillors – elected for the Central Ward
5. the election of Two (2) Ward Councillors – elected for the South Ward

Each of the above five elections is a separate election.

Can I stand for election?
Anyone can stand for elections regardless of qualifications, religion, gender or employment provided that:

* You are an Australian citizenship or have been a member of a Council at any time between 5 May 1997 and 1 January 2000.
* You are an elector for the area, or the nominee of a body corporate or a group either of which has its name on the council’s voters roll (you must be an officer of the body corporate or a member of the group or an officer of a body corporate that is a member of the group).

Nominations to stand as a candidate
(No earlier than 14 days before they close) Open Early September 2010
Nominations to stand Close Mid September 2010

The 2007 election results:
http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/adcc ... esults.pdf
Harbison won Lord Mayor with 2736 of 6010 primary votes.
Francene Connor was second with 2512
Moran was the biggest vote winner for area councillor, with 1407 votes
Bill Zaharis got in with the lowest number of primary votes, with 356 votes for central ward.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:21 pm

* You are an Australian citizenship
I am, you are, we're all Aussie Citizenships :P

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Shuz wrote:Why would anyone vote for her? Look how egotistic she's coming off as. "My turn." "My touch". "My this". "My that". Dictatorship anyone?

Yarwood should be the Lord Mayor. He's done a brilliant job as deputy so far, and would help lift the ACC's profile to have someone fresh, youthful and open-minded at the forefront.

While I"m pretty sure she didn't intend it to be interpreted this way, but it does really smack of this whole 'small group of people on rotation' mentality.