Adelaide United Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide United Thread

#16 Post by adam_stuckey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:47 pm

Shuz wrote:SACA are already in talks with the Holdfast Council about using Glenelg Oval as the new home ground of the Redbacks.
Yeah i hear they're putting $400,000 towards it. Still not sure about the International games though.
Tyler_Durden wrote:I disagree. It all seems to be dependent upon him make money from AUFC. That's not going to happen. And when it doesn't he'll abandon the team just as quickly as the last owner. The A-League needs owners that love the game and are willing to lose money for the pure love of it.
I think thats why although he's the main investor there are around 24 other people involved that i'm sure will come and go as their own finance dictates. I also hear of a Japanese investor which would be a good thing with our exposure in Asia
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by flavze » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I disagree. It all seems to be dependent upon him make money from AUFC. That's not going to happen. And when it doesn't he'll abandon the team just as quickly as the last owner. The A-League needs owners that love the game and are willing to lose money for the pure love of it.

It's all well and good to point to Melbourne and their crowds but Sydney, Brisbane and even Gold Coast are also playing out of large stadiums and the expense is crippling them aswell as offering nothing in terms of atmosphere for their fans. We all know the story of the Gold Coast situation where the rich owner came in with grand plans yet only months after their entry he was attempting to block off 3/4 of their venue to limit the financial losses he was incurring.

AUFC need to stay at Hindmarsh where they are blessed to have a stadium that is the perfect size. Sure, Adelaide Oval or wherever else is a good alternative option for occasional games and big finals but if they think moving there on a more permanent basis is going to solve anything then I fear for the future of the club.
why can't AUFC make a profit? CCM made a profit a few years ago with a fairly low average crowd due to havin a large corporate support setup and favourable stadium deal.
AUFC at AO can handle a much larger corporate sponsor clientel even if their crowds don't improve greatly. Plus theres a good chance AUFC can make more money from a game with the same crowd if they get a better deal than they have know at Hindmarsh.

Personally i would like to have a large group of investors trying to run and make the club profitable than a single rich owner happy to lose money. Generally they tend to get sick of losing money eventually and leave the club in a lurch when they bail.
It gives the club a broader connection to the public and is more representive of the people rather than looking like a rich mans toy, especially if they allow public investment.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Hooligan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:30 pm

If any form of cricket is moved away from Adelaide Oval because of another sports needs i will be one pissed off mofo to say the least. I'm sure i'm not alone on this one

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by flavze » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Hooligan wrote:If any form of cricket is moved away from Adelaide Oval because of another sports needs i will be one pissed off mofo to say the least. I'm sure i'm not alone on this one
it's more that SACA wants to vacate the oval to let other sports use it that would generate a larger income for them than to continue to play domestic cricket there.

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by adam_stuckey » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:56 am

flavze wrote:
Hooligan wrote:If any form of cricket is moved away from Adelaide Oval because of another sports needs i will be one pissed off mofo to say the least. I'm sure i'm not alone on this one
it's more that SACA wants to vacate the oval to let other sports use it that would generate a larger income for them than to continue to play domestic cricket there.
I konw what i would rather if i was the SACA 100 people not even paying to see sheffeld shield cricket all summer with a few one dayers and twenty20s where you might get 8,000 people max. Or 10,000 - 15,000 people every game with a strong possibility of getting up to 20,000.

Excluding the international games i can't recall one time where South Australia got enough people to a game to fill Glenelg Oval which currently holds 15,000
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Prince George » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:20 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:Excluding the international games i can't recall one time where South Australia got enough people to a game to fill Glenelg Oval which currently holds 15,000
In the past decade or so, the most likely time would be the Pura Cup final back in '96 when the Redbacks had to bat out the last day to hold the draw and win the cup.

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by flavze » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Prince George wrote:
adam_stuckey wrote:Excluding the international games i can't recall one time where South Australia got enough people to a game to fill Glenelg Oval which currently holds 15,000
In the past decade or so, the most likely time would be the Pura Cup final back in '96 when the Redbacks had to bat out the last day to hold the draw and win the cup.
what a day that was, george an macca holding on!!

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by adam_stuckey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:28 am

Adelaide United's ACL squad has been finalised no real surprises, Its good to see some of the youth squad getting a go (i don't think they get much game time)

1.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk)
2.Robert CORNTHWAITE
3.Nigel BOOGAARD
4.Iain FYFE
5.Daniel MULLEN
6.CASSIO
7.Lucas PANTELIS
8.Kristian SARKIES
9.Sergio VAN DIJK
10.Adam HUGHES
12.Paul REID
13.Travis DODD (c)
14.Scott JAMIESON
15.Francesco MONTEROSSO
16.Inseob SHIN
17.Michael MARRONE
18.Fabian BARBIERO
19.Mathew LECKIE
20.Mark BIRIGHITTI (gk)
21.Mark RUDAN
22.Dane MILOVANOVIC
23.Joe COSTA
24.Marcos FLORES
25.Evan KOSTOPOULOS
26.Perry MITRIS
27.Adam GRIFFITHS
28.Matthew MULLEN
29.Joel ALLWRIGHT
30.Nicholas MUNRO (gk)

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by adam_stuckey » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 am

Is anyone catching the tram to the game tomorrow? It will be interesting to see how it handles so many people in such a short period

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#25 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:10 pm

adam_stuckey wrote:Is anyone catching the tram to the game tomorrow? It will be interesting to see how it handles so many people in such a short period
I will be on one of them, should be interesting indeed.

Swordsedge
Banned
Banned

#26 Post by Swordsedge » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm

I believe that's part of the reason why they placed a crossover just before the Entertainment Centre stop, so that two trams can can be stabled at once to handle the crush load post-match.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Who's heading to Hindmarsh on the 19th?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.