Time to rename the state?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Time to rename the state?

#16 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:41 am

Splashmo wrote:Do you know what American state an abbreviation is referring to?
Yes. My head is full of shit like that. There is no American state with the abbreviation SA.

As for re-naming the state "because it's time to" - no offense, but what a load of crap. There is something to be said for brands. Our Government departments are a classic - just when the public are starting to understand which department they should go to to get something done, the Govt changes all the names "because it's time for a change". If we change the name of the state, in a decade's time it will get changed again, then 5 years after that, then 2 years later ... :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by Hooligan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:08 pm

I'm sorry, Me is confused. Is this a serious thread?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Omicron

#18 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:35 am

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by flavze » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm

tbh i think it should be renamed Bob.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#20 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:09 am

I'm sorry, Me is confused. Is this a serious thread?
Yes I'm afraid it is. You can tell by the pungent aroma of self-loathing.

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by peachy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:17 pm

rhino wrote:
Splashmo wrote:Do you know what American state an abbreviation is referring to?
Yes. My head is full of shit like that. There is no American state with the abbreviation SA.
I think the American state Splashmo is referring to is South Dakota. Am i right?
I think all the american states are abbreviated by taking their first and last letter.

Saudi Arabia is another SA.

At least Adelaide, South Australia or Barossa Valley, South Australia etc. tells internationals where in the world we are (although i realise the irony that there is two more southern states in Oz). I would doubt if most overseasers could guess where Victoria is ("Canada isn't it?").

But if someone came up with a really good alternative, i'd be open to the idea. But it would have to be really good to be worth messing with something that ain't broke.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by monotonehell » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:04 am

peachy wrote:I think the American state Splashmo is referring to is South Dakota. Am i right?
I think all the american states are abbreviated by taking their first and last letter.
Nope, South Dakota is SD. They only skip to other letters when there's already another state that has used the first letters.
For example ALabama got there before AlasKa.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Isiskii » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:11 am

I actually wouldn't mind if the state was called Flinders.

Seems appropriate to name if after the man who founded it.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by Wayno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:15 pm

Ok, so i'm taking this silly topic to its natural conclusion. Let's join the WA secessionist movement and split from Australia. Heck, we'll even take the NT with us. Screw the eastern states.

The new country would simply be called The Bigger Half and we would have no state borders.

QANTAS would need to rename as QANVICTAS or whatever, who cares. Our national airline would have business class seats from front to back.

Our floral emblem would be the Atriplex (common name 'Salt Bush' - a small plant that flourishes in deserts locales, such as Lake Eyre). Our faunal emblem would be the Bilby (indigenous to the deserts of the lands formally known as WA, SA & NT). The Easter Bunny would be outlawed.

We would have 2 layers of government - Federal & Local. To avoid wrangling, Government House would be located equidistant from Adelaide, Perth, & Darwin. Atop Ayers Rock by my reckoning. The immediate surrounding region would be named Salt Bush City.

Our flag would be a crossed Pick & Shovel on a red earth background with radioactive tailings piled here and there.

Our legal system would be based on the Ghengis Khan School of Governance - Execute 1, Educate 10,000. Dickheads would get the death penalty.

We would have many nuclear warheads (armed with our own uranium) pointed at the 'Old Australia', just in case they think about diverting too much water from the Murray River (do ya feel lucky punk?!?)

Our currency would be made of solid gold, yes, even the notes.

First 3 lines of our national anthem:
We're girt by seas on north, south & west
and girt by dirt from the rest
There's wealth underground, and that's our luck
<insert your own witty 4th line here>

I was a bit grumpy when i started writing this post. Strangely, I feel better now.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by iTouch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:49 am

^^^ how you managed to think that up beats me.
No offence but this topic is silly. It'd cause anarchy not just for our state but interstate as well. Company's would have to change their logo's and name's which would be expensive. Data, script, etc would have to be changed from an SA variable to another which is time wasting. It's pointless.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Wayno wrote:Our flag would be a crossed Pick & Shovel on a red earth background with radioactive tailings piled here and there.
:lol:

Time to derail this thread...
*Places penny on tracks*

Why do people start a post with "No offence but.." ? It's a bit like "I'm not racist but..."
Also people who end their posts with "...just saying." annoy me. What the hell does that mean?
The trifecta:
Some random Youtube commenter yesterday wrote:No offence but, your a dick, just sayin.

Aidan

#27 Post by Aidan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:53 pm

Wayno's not the first person to propose a merger of SA and WA. Back in the '90s someone wrote a letter to the Advertiser suggesting it, in order to produce the slogan Going all the way in a state of excitement!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Omicron

#28 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Aidan wrote:Wayno's not the first person to propose a merger of SA and WA. Back in the '90s someone wrote a letter to the Advertiser suggesting it, in order to produce the slogan Going all the way in a state of excitement!
How, er, randy.

rhino

#29 Post by rhino » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am

iTouch(myself) wrote:^^^ how you managed to think that up beats me.
No offence but this topic is silly. It'd cause anarchy not just for our state but interstate as well. Company's would have to change their logo's and name's which would be expensive. Data, script, etc would have to be changed from an SA variable to another which is time wasting. It's pointless.
What is it with all these apostrophies? They are totally unnecessary and make your post senseless. Just sayin' ( :) )
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by monotonehell » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

rhino wrote:
iTouch(myself) wrote:^^^ how you managed to think that up beats me.
What is it with all these apostrophies? They are totally unnecessary and make your post senseless. Just sayin' ( :) )
You. You're toying with me aren't you?
I love you for your appropriate apostrophes comment... but "Just sayin'" *twitch*

For uTouch:
"Companies would have to change their logos and names."
Plurals don't take an apostrophe. Possessives and contractions do (except for its(possesive), it's(it is) and a few other annoying exceptions which make English fun).