The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#916 Post by Nort » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Got to admit, watching Bernardi throw a tantrum today about Hood leaving the Australian Conservatives is pretty awesome.

Waewick

#917 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Nort wrote:Got to admit, watching Bernardi throw a tantrum today about Hood leaving the Australian Conservatives is pretty awesome.
Yep. Agree on that.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#918 Post by rev » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Our new Liberal Premier taking all the glory, with his Federal Liberal partners.
Federal Liberal party, building South Australia.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#919 Post by Jaymz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 pm

I see an article today stating the new State Govt. has already moved to cut the price of a multi-trip metro ticket by upto 30%. Also abolishing the $5 fee for new cards.

Seems they are already out maneuvering Labor at what should be core policies of said side of politics.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#920 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:22 pm

Jaymz wrote:I see an article today stating the new State Govt. has already moved to cut the price of a multi-trip metro ticket by upto 30%. Also abolishing the $5 fee for new cards.

Seems they are already out maneuvering Labor at what should be core policies of said side of politics.
That reduction was actually implemented by Labor before the election. The Liberals just didn't block or remove it.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#921 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:30 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:12 pm
I see an article today stating the new State Govt. has already moved to cut the price of a multi-trip metro ticket by upto 30%. Also abolishing the $5 fee for new cards.

Yeh that is a labor policy announced before the election.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#922 Post by Jaymz » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 pm

Okay, thanks for the correction.

Seems like a very positive move. Happy it's been implemented.

rev

#923 Post by rev » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Where's our new Premier?

SBD

#924 Post by SBD » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:32 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:44 pm
Where's our new Premier?
Perhaps he doesn't think every little step forward needs a press conference with someone nodding approval in the background.

Ho Really

#925 Post by Ho Really » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm

rev wrote:
Where's our new Premier?
I'd rather see politicians do their job behind the scenes and not call press conferences for everything under the sun. If there is a benefit or not for the people, the people will let it be known. I cannot stand politicians that brag, are hypocritical and make annoucements they renege. That's what I believe anyway. I guess you believe that too rev. Hopefully our new Premier will do the right job and be humble about it. And that goes for all his team.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#926 Post by Ho Really » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:48 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:32 pm
rev wrote:
Where's our new Premier?
Perhaps he doesn't think every little step forward needs a press conference with someone nodding approval in the background.
I agree totally. Can't stand those in the background. All political parties do this! They always look at the back of the head of the person in front and nod. Do they actually know what they are nodding too? I would rather see no one there or if you are going to have someone make that common people that have something good to add or suggest. But that won't happen since most of these press conferences are scripted and not impromptu and anyone with a dissenting point of view is kept at a distance. Some if not all of these conferences are mutual admiration societies.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rhino

#927 Post by rhino » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:55 am

Ho Really wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:48 pm
... most of these press conferences are scripted and not impromptu and anyone with a dissenting point of view is kept at a distance. Some if not all of these conferences are mutual admiration societies.
Remembering with fondness the press conference Josh Freidenberg wishes he wasn't at after Jay Weatherill unleashed on him ...
cheers,
Rhino

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#928 Post by mshagg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm

rev wrote:
Where's our new Premier?
Over the weekend he was on Facebook saying something about Labor's sense of entitlement and promising to "take the fight" to them, which are confusing statements from someone with a 25 seat majority. Guess after so long in opposition it takes a while to change modes.

https://www.facebook.com/StevenMarshall ... =3&theater

Someone said something about him being humble?

Malinauskas elected as leader of the ALP this morning, I'm sure to nobody's surprise. It was nice of the SDA to at least let caucus play the charade of electing him.

With SA Best being a complete fizzer, the election of a do-nothing liberal government and Labor now being lead by a man whose vision extends no further than what is required to maintain factional control of the party, it all feels a bit... I dunno... 1990s.

rev

#929 Post by rev » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

SBD wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:32 pm
rev wrote:
Where's our new Premier?
Ho Really wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:36 pm
rev wrote:
Where's our new Premier?
I'd rather see politicians do their job behind the scenes and not call press conferences for everything under the sun. If there is a benefit or not for the people, the people will let it be known. I cannot stand politicians that brag, are hypocritical and make annoucements they renege. That's what I believe anyway. I guess you believe that too rev. Hopefully our new Premier will do the right job and be humble about it. And that goes for all his team.

Cheers
I'm asking simply because for so long we have heard how bad the state is, how bad a job Labor have been doing, and how much better the Liberals will be if we elect them, how they'll put South Australia back on track...I'd have thought that we would at least hear something from our new dear leader.

I can see Labor as an opposition supporting what will obviously be a benefit to the state, or mildly opposing what wouldn't without creating a circus show, and simply passively sitting back and letting the Libs damage them selves with their incompetence.

We did see Marshal at the ship building college related thing, but he seemed to be playing second fiddle to his senior federal party member Pyne.
And we have apparently missed out on funding for blackspots(Labor problem?).
Makes you think, who will really be calling the shots in South Australia, Steven Marshall, or the SA federal Liberal senators and MP's in Canberra...
A federal election is coming up in just over a year. All these politicians help each other stay in a job at our expense..

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#930 Post by Jaymz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 pm

It's pleasing to read that the new State opposition will support the Govts proposal to abolish payroll tax for small business. These are the types of tax reforms that S.A is needing, given that small business makes up such a large chunk of our economy.