The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#676 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:17 pm

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2016/06/22/ ... -adelaide/

I am stunned by this. what do people get who were impacted by not Port supporters?

has anyone else ever got cash from the Government due to impacts to their public transport ? The things that Politicians can do in this state is dumbfounding.

bits
Legendary Member!

#677 Post by bits » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Port Adelaide pre paid a lot of money for the service. I think this counts as a refund. Other people could try to negotiate refunds for tickets they pre paid for this particular service that was not delivered.

Waewick

#678 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:44 pm

bits wrote:Port Adelaide pre paid a lot of money for the service. I think this counts as a refund. Other people could try to negotiate refunds for tickets they pre paid for this particular service that was not delivered.
50k? For how many many people? Smells dodgy on every level.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#679 Post by Allkai » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:36 am

Waewick wrote:
bits wrote:Port Adelaide pre paid a lot of money for the service. I think this counts as a refund. Other people could try to negotiate refunds for tickets they pre paid for this particular service that was not delivered.
Keith Thomas "We pay hundreds of thousands of dollars into a transport levy. The $50k is a refund for the service they were unable to deliver".

claybro

#680 Post by claybro » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am

Allkai wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Keith Thomas "We pay hundreds of thousands of dollars into a transport levy. The $50k is a refund for the service they were unable to deliver".
And if Port Adelaide aren't covering the cost of that in their ticket prices then they really can't run a business after all. The levy is surely a fixed cost, not some kind of left of field unknown expense. Having said that however, the whole Adelaide Oval setup on game day is heavily reliant on train services that work. Imagine the fiasco if this had happened for the A league final and half the crowd were missing at kickoff in front of a national audience. Nothing to sharpen up the relevant departments minds like the odd $50k payout. Many more of these and they might do something about the barely reliable system, because it would seem, the average punter just trying to get home from work barely raises a ripple.

Waewick

#681 Post by Waewick » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:43 pm

So if my bus service fails next time will I get compo? What about the recent impacts on the trains?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#682 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 pm

claybro wrote: Many more of these and they might do something about the barely reliable system, because it would seem, the average punter just trying to get home from work barely raises a ripple.
Barely reliable system? A few glitches here and there, but I use this service almost every day and, apart from being 2-3 minutes late on occasion, it is very reliable!

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#683 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 pm

What's interesting is not the value of the gift, which is really a token in government cash terms, but the political effect.

I've been helping out with some pre-polling in the Port, and as far as I can make out there's serious concern in Mark Butler's crew - which seems to include a lot of state Labor supporters - about Mr Xenophon. He can't give Port $50,000, ha ha (although he might offer the team reasonably priced accommodation in one of his city units).

Vee
Legendary Member!

#684 Post by Vee » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:49 am

ICYMI: SA electoral boundaries redrawn - snippets from an item in ABC News.

Given that election dates are fixed, there should be no excuse for all parties to release their policies for scrutiny well in advance of actual polling day, especially since early voting seems to be on the increase. The Xenophon team looks set to increase its influence in the next election.

Liberal Party given a boost ahead of 2018 SA election in boundary redistribution
The Liberal Party's chances of winning the 2018 South Australian election have greatly improved after a boundary redistribution notionally handed the party two additional seats.

SA's Electoral Districts Boundaries Commission today released its final report into redistributed electoral boundaries, which happens after every state election.
If the 2014 election results were replicated under the new boundaries, the Liberal Party would have won 25 seats compared to Labor's 20, or potentially 27 seats if it could extract the independents as well, or win their seats.

Some 398,710 voters have been affected by the redistributed boundaries, a massive increase on the 89,000 affected by the last redistribution in 2012.

The changes mean Labor would need to secure a 3.2 per cent swing to stay in Government at the 2018 election, if Mr Brock and Mr Hamilton-Smith choose to side with the Liberals.
The marginal Labor seats of Colton and Newland have been redistributed to favour the Liberals on paper, joining Elder and Mawson that had shifted in an earlier draft redistribution.
The redistribution is unable to predict the effect of Nick Xenophon Team candidates, however, who will be running in several state seats for the first time in 2018.
ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-08/s ... on/8103010

[Shuz]

#685 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 pm

I wonder how many seats NXT will win at 2018? I'd expect at least 3.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#686 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Makes it an interesting election though. See how the Libs lose it from here.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#687 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Are NXT putting forward candidates at state level?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#688 Post by serca » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:04 pm

NXT will get my vote. Either that or the donkey.

I'm over politicians be it state or federal. They are all the same, the left the right what ever. Seems they are more worried about short term profit and maintaining their own jobs than that of the general populous.

I can appreciate we need to be governed and the economy is not booming. But give us a break. All they seem to do is make continuous mistakes resulting in deficit. Then to cover their ass and raise revenue they privatise everything, increase taxes and levies etc etc. If they had our interest in mind why would you privatise all of our utilities? Of course we are going to have one of the most expensive electricity supplies in the world when some Hong Kong Billionaire now owns it and is looking to profit as much as he can. Good luck regulating that. Look at all of our agricultural and farming land being sold. Im pretty sure ?? we are the only country to sell agricultural land to foreign investors. Australia's largest dairy farm in Tasmania was sold earlier this year to the Chinese despite the bid being matched by an Australian business woman. Why not lease out Northern Territory's biggest port to the Chinese for the next 100 yrs..... too late, done!. This policy on foreign investment has short term perks for the government. They get percentages of the sale, I'm not sure how it works but cash flows in. The writing is clearly on the wall that we will pay for this both now and more so later on. This isn't a dig at the Chinese either, they are just doing what they are allowed to do, and good on them.

If the government was a business it would be bankrupt by now. Politicians and Big Business the 1% can bash it up their arse.

Thats just my unqualified opinion

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#689 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Interesting blog post by Antony Green about the prospect of South Australia losing an electorate at the next Federal Election.
Is South Australia set to Lose a House of Representatives Seat?

In the 13th month after every Federal election, the Australian Electoral Commissioner issues a statement on how many seats each state and territory will be entitled to at the next Federal election.

The determination for states is based on the formula set out in Section 24 of the Constitution. The same formula with some minor tweaks is also used to alllocate seats to the Territories.

All indications are that South Australia is set to lose a seat, reduced from 11 seats at the 2016 election to 10 at the next election. This will trigger a redistribution for the state, and also reduce the size of the House of Representatives from 150 seats to 149.

Full blog post: http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/201 ... -seat.html
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Nathan

#690 Post by Nathan » Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

So, who wants to discuss all the new infrastructure projects for SA that were announced in the federal budget?

Here's a list: