The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#781 Post by rev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:27 pm

claybro wrote:It wasn't proposed under Abbott. I thought it came to life once Turdball reallocated focus from roads and freight, to include urban transport projects. Adelink as a concept has not been around that long, I thought it was a State government thought bubble to attract some newly redirected federal funds in the current state term.
AdeLink as a concept hasn't been around all that long.
But the state gov. vision to expand the tram network has been around longer then the label AdeLink.

That's the thing with this Labor state government. The visions, the ideas, they exist.
Them articulating them into something coherent so the voting public can understand that they have a vision for this state, and actually get those things done properly, is another thing though.

Someone asked why so much hate on Marshall, when we have Weatherill as Premier.
If the Liberals have any vision, any plans, any ideas, who the hell knows, the public certainly don't know. Well, except for the pie in the sky nonsense they come up with like a freight only airport..because we have soo much export freight leaving this state that there's justification for billions to be thrown at a single use airport. Morons.

The Labor government isn't perfect. BUT, at least they have some sort of vision. At least they are doing something. I'm very critical of how slow progress is in this state. But at least it's progress, at least we are trickling forward, instead of going backwards. It's a start.

What do the Liberals offer?
What we do know about the Liberals, so called "conservatives", is that they will more then likely put a stop to public transport spending.
There will be no more work done to electrify the train network and bring it into 21st century. There will be no tram network expansion.
I'd be very surprised if the Liberals got in to power, if they even continued work on the North-South Corridor. If anything, it's highly possible that they will put a stop to any further work being done, and use it as a tool to bash the Labor party with over spending and deficits etc. IF the Liberals were to get into government, expect spending cuts left right and centre, to everything. What you will get though, is a 'big' project here, or there. No plan, no vision.
The Liberal party are simply hoping to get into government by telling people that Labor is bad, by telling people that they should have had enough of the Labor party as government after a decade and a half in power.
What the Liberal party hasn't done at previous elections, and more then likely wont do again at this coming election, is come up with a solid vision and plan for our city and state.
What they wont do is show us how they will be a better alternative to Labor.

Their standard operating procedure has been and continues to be, "put downs" aimed at the Government, or specific ministers.

These idiots have no bloody vision.

The same muppet politicians in the Liberal party who were around when we were kids or young adults, are still around in the Liberal party today.
Labor at least has new faces at the front.

Do you know why Mike Rann and Kevin Foley walked away? Because if they remained, Labor wouldn't have remained in power.
The Liberals are out of touch, they don't get it.
They stuck a jellyfish puppet in the hot seat, Steven Marshall, but behind him it's largely the same clowns before him.

Even Alexander Downer has given up on the circus that is the SA Liberal Party.

And at this stage I'm planning on voting for Australian Conservatives, depending on who they run in my electorate.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#782 Post by mawsonguy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 pm

citywatcher wrote:Unfortunately the liberals have a track record for not wanting to spend money on infrastructure. They have opposed just about anything proposed. Whichever side of the argument you want to come down on it will probably mean under a Marshall govt we won't be getting the development we are see now.
What a false statement. If we are talking about Federal Liberal Governments then they have funded the Torrens Rail Junction, Goodwood Rail Junction, Salisbury Highway extension to South Road, Sexy duplication, T2T and Darlington upgrade (the last in the face of State ALP opposition). If we are talking State liberals then they have funded the Sexy (one-way) and O-Bahn. Of course the Libs haven't held power in the State since 2002 (despite out polling the ALP in 3 out of 4 elections) so they haven't done anything recently. They are on record as supporting the completion of the North-South motorway. However, their plan to build a second "freight" airport at Monarto is nonsense even if a similar concept appears to be working with the Wellcamp airport outside Brisbane.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#783 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:06 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
citywatcher wrote:Unfortunately the liberals have a track record for not wanting to spend money on infrastructure. They have opposed just about anything proposed. Whichever side of the argument you want to come down on it will probably mean under a Marshall govt we won't be getting the development we are see now.
What a false statement. If we are talking about Federal Liberal Governments then they have funded the Torrens Rail Junction, Goodwood Rail Junction, Salisbury Highway extension to South Road, Sexy duplication, T2T and Darlington upgrade (the last in the face of State ALP opposition). If we are talking State liberals then they have funded the Sexy (one-way) and O-Bahn. Of course the Libs haven't held power in the State since 2002 (despite out polling the ALP in 3 out of 4 elections) so they haven't done anything recently. They are on record as supporting the completion of the North-South motorway. However, their plan to build a second "freight" airport at Monarto is nonsense even if a similar concept appears to be working with the Wellcamp airport outside Brisbane.
No. Sorry. It's true.

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#784 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Didn't want the hospital the trams the oval the schools criticised the way the north south was being done. Stop trying to rewrite history. Oh . A pie in the sky route from PA to woop woop . Yeah that's their track record.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#785 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:41 pm

rev wrote:...And at this stage I'm planning on voting for Australian Conservatives, depending on who they run in my electorate.
I really hope that's a joke. Please let it be a joke.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#786 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm

citywatcher wrote:Didn't want the hospital the trams the oval the schools criticised the way the north south was being done. Stop trying to rewrite history. Oh . A pie in the sky route from PA to woop woop . Yeah that's their track record.

Heysen tunnels???

Waewick

#787 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:38 pm

citywatcher wrote:Didn't want the hospital the trams the oval the schools criticised the way the north south was being done. Stop trying to rewrite history. Oh . A pie in the sky route from PA to woop woop . Yeah that's their track record.

I think you might be trying to rewrite history.

If you recall the then leader of the opposition provided a detailed plan to revistlise the city (now a front bencher in the labour government) which Labor panned, then copied.

The Libs went to an election with new oval and rebuilt RAH.

Labour went with new RAH and rebuilt AO.

The Libs aren't great and haven't been great. But they aren't half as bad as some people make them out to be.

In regards to the gawler bypass, the difference between that and building trams isn't to make people in the east happy ( I do find it funny that you don't consider trying making people in the east happy as reasonable thing to do because you rather make someone else happy) is its intention is to grow the economy. I'm not sure changing people's mode of transport is the same.

That all being said I'm not sure the bypass will do that anyway so the Trams could be the way to go.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#788 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Yes and he has stated why he left and changed sides. Because his original party weren't interested in it but that labor was.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#789 Post by rev » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 pm

monotonehell wrote:
rev wrote:...And at this stage I'm planning on voting for Australian Conservatives, depending on who they run in my electorate.
Why? Should I vote for the Greens who didn't support the notion of a pay freeze for politicians, but supported a pay increase?

Waewick

#790 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:38 pm

rev wrote:
claybro wrote:It wasn't proposed under Abbott. I thought it came to life once Turdball reallocated focus from roads and freight, to include urban transport projects. Adelink as a concept has not been around that long, I thought it was a State government thought bubble to attract some newly redirected federal funds in the current state term.
AdeLink as a concept hasn't been around all that long.
But the state gov. vision to expand the tram network has been around longer then the label AdeLink.

That's the thing with this Labor state government. The visions, the ideas, they exist.
Them articulating them into something coherent so the voting public can understand that they have a vision for this state, and actually get those things done properly, is another thing though.

Someone asked why so much hate on Marshall, when we have Weatherill as Premier.
If the Liberals have any vision, any plans, any ideas, who the hell knows, the public certainly don't know. Well, except for the pie in the sky nonsense they come up with like a freight only airport..because we have soo much export freight leaving this state that there's justification for billions to be thrown at a single use airport. Morons.

The Labor government isn't perfect. BUT, at least they have some sort of vision. At least they are doing something. I'm very critical of how slow progress is in this state. But at least it's progress, at least we are trickling forward, instead of going backwards. It's a start.

What do the Liberals offer?
What we do know about the Liberals, so called "conservatives", is that they will more then likely put a stop to public transport spending.
There will be no more work done to electrify the train network and bring it into 21st century. There will be no tram network expansion.
I'd be very surprised if the Liberals got in to power, if they even continued work on the North-South Corridor. If anything, it's highly possible that they will put a stop to any further work being done, and use it as a tool to bash the Labor party with over spending and deficits etc. IF the Liberals were to get into government, expect spending cuts left right and centre, to everything. What you will get though, is a 'big' project here, or there. No plan, no vision.
The Liberal party are simply hoping to get into government by telling people that Labor is bad, by telling people that they should have had enough of the Labor party as government after a decade and a half in power.
What the Liberal party hasn't done at previous elections, and more then likely wont do again at this coming election, is come up with a solid vision and plan for our city and state.
What they wont do is show us how they will be a better alternative to Labor.

Their standard operating procedure has been and continues to be, "put downs" aimed at the Government, or specific ministers.

These idiots have no bloody vision.

The same muppet politicians in the Liberal party who were around when we were kids or young adults, are still around in the Liberal party today.
Labor at least has new faces at the front.

Do you know why Mike Rann and Kevin Foley walked away? Because if they remained, Labor wouldn't have remained in power.
The Liberals are out of touch, they don't get it.
They stuck a jellyfish puppet in the hot seat, Steven Marshall, but behind him it's largely the same clowns before him.

Even Alexander Downer has given up on the circus that is the SA Liberal Party.

And at this stage I'm planning on voting for Australian Conservatives, depending on who they run in my electorate.
I think if you bothered to look there are only 3 of the old school Liberals left. They literally just dumped an old school sitting member so they could put in a new person.

I reckon that's why the Liberals are daring Labour to go to an election, try and minimise the impact of Best SA and Backwards SA ( oh sorry i mean the Australian conservatives)

Waewick

#791 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:39 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Lets face it SA will be prime picking for that party.

Patrick_27

#792 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:40 pm

mawsonguy wrote:
What are you, a reader of The Advertiser that stumbled upon this forum? Goodwood Rail junction was funded under a Federal Labor Government, the S/E Expressway was an election promise of both sides of politics and in the end the Federal Labor Government saw it funded. Let's stick to facts shall we...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#793 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 am

The AdeLink network has been an active proposal of SA Labor for years. Doesn't anyone else remember the billboards in the lead up to the 2014 election?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick

#794 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:14 am

citywatcher wrote:Yes and he has stated why he left and changed sides. Because his original party weren't interested in it but that labor was.

Erm no. He stuffed up with a leaked document scandal and had to step down and the Libs lost the election.

Labor then bought him a seat in the cabinet and here we are.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#795 Post by citywatcher » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am

Yes you're right but it didn't explain why he eventually jumped ship