Designing Canberra - An Ideal City

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Designing Canberra - An Ideal City

#1 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 pm

http://www.idealcity.org.au/

I stumbled across this website today - a fascinating journey through the competition to design our nation's capital. The best part by far is the section showing the 46 shortlisted entries, which I've never seen aside from Griffin's winning entry. Some are hilariously awful; some are complex geometric arrangements; some are majestic formal sculptures; but all are fascinating. Worth a look.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

Re: Designing Canberra - An Ideal City

#2 Post by stumpjumper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 am

Very interesting! Thanks for posting this, Omicron.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Maximus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 pm

If you're ever in Canberra, my tip would be to visit the National Capital Exhibition. It's free, and you learn not just about the weird and wonderful design entries, but also about how the site was selected, etc, etc. My favourite part: suggested alternative names for Canberra... 'Sydmeladperbrisho'...? :D
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Waewick

#4 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

as anyone ever seen Adelaide's original design and notes from Light?

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Isiskii » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Original design?

I thought the current layout/design was the original.

Waewick

#6 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 pm

sorry I mean the original plan on paper with the notes (and why the hell he put it where he did) and reasons and purposes of the parklands.

Aidan

#7 Post by Aidan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Omicron wrote:http://www.idealcity.org.au/

I stumbled across this website today - a fascinating journey through the competition to design our nation's capital. The best part by far is the section showing the 46 shortlisted entries, which I've never seen aside from Griffin's winning entry. Some are hilariously awful; some are complex geometric arrangements; some are majestic formal sculptures; but all are fascinating. Worth a look.
I agree, despite the truly awful Flash interface!

capitalist wrote:...anyone ever seen Adelaide's original design and notes from Light?
...sorry I mean the original plan on paper with the notes (and why the hell he put it where he did) and reasons and purposes of the parklands.
I have seen the original (with differences from what we have now including no Frome Street, no laneways and completely different roads through the Parklands). But while I've heard a bit about the original reasons Light included them, I don't recall ever reading his notes.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 pm

Aidan wrote:I have seen the original (with differences from what we have now including no Frome Street, no laneways and completely different roads through the Parklands). But while I've heard a bit about the original reasons Light included them, I don't recall ever reading his notes.
This one?
http://archivemaps.com/mapco/adel1837/adel1837.htm

Omicron

#9 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 pm

That is obviously a fabrication of filthy developers to justify their INCORRECT ARGUMENTS that buidlings should be permitted in the Parklands. Light NEVER intended for buildings in the Parklands. NEVER. That hospital, barracks, Government House, market, cemetery and store house are HEINOUS LIES added by HEATHENS. How DARE you promote such PROPAGANDA.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:45 am

Light provided 'government reserves' for most of the buildings in the Park Lands. Unfortunately, Light produced his plan for the city in a serious hurry, so he didn't exactly leave a prescription for how to use his design. I think it would have been outside his brief to do that anyway - so there's a bit of a vacuum there which has caused controversy ever since. The first 'Park Lands Preservation Association' was formed in the 1800s. It was guided by interpretations of what evidence there was about the philosophical basis of Light's plan.

To make matters worse, most of Light's papers were burnt in a fire at his house, and Light died in 1839.

Light completed his survey using trig points, so he didn't have to traverse every line of subdivision. The trigonometrical method he used meant that points of intersection could be drawn on a map, then found accurately on the ground by triangulation using the trig points set up on high points. Light's plan was a work of art in surveyors' terms, and he did the lot without even a horse to ride. There wasn't one in the whole colony when Light was at work. Even with the trig points, Light had to walk huge distances, towing a trolley with his gear.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Maximus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Hmmmm, this thread isn't really about Canberra anymore...

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Maximus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:28 pm

AtD, or any other Canberra folk, have you ever been to the National Capital Exhibition?

Omi, are you in Canberra too, or just stumbled on that website purely by accident?

rhino

#13 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:42 pm

I've been to the National Capital Exhibition - thought it was brilliant.
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#14 Post by Omicron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Maximus wrote:AtD, or any other Canberra folk, have you ever been to the National Capital Exhibition?

Omi, are you in Canberra too, or just stumbled on that website purely by accident?
No, I was bored on Wikipedia one day. :wink:

bulldog13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by bulldog13 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Seeming I'm currently living in the place, anyone want to ask me anything?? :wink: