Zoo financially up the creek

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Zoo financially up the creek

#46 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 am

dsriggs wrote:So your partner's an ignorant bogan then, Shuz?
I've told him all about the SDA and their political agenda, but I'm not sure if he's revoked his membership just yet. I'll remind him tonight to do so.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:54 am

It seems to have gone uncommented that we are only renting these fat cash sinks from China for $1,000,000 per year, and we're not the first to find out that the rent's a bit steep for the return. What's more, if the pair manage to procreate, we pay a one-off $500,000 baby tax to China as well.

That's $20,000 per week, just for the mum and dad bears, BB (before bamboo). We need to sell 645 adult tickets per week just to pay the bare (ha ha) rent.

Would you invest on that basis? The evidence against taking on these Chinese chewing machines has been around for a while.

Have a google around "pandas rent waste" etc.

The last laugh is that as a means of breeding species-saving baby pandas, captive bears are next to useless. The captive ones seem to lose their libido. By far the most successful way of increasing numbers is in protected natural habitats, as has been proven in China.
Panda "Rent" Too High, U.S. Zoos Say - March 13, 2006

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... andas.html

Maryann Mott for National Geographic News

Giant pandas are a popular zoo attraction in the United States. But the high cost to "rent" the black-and-white bears from China (see map) may force some zoos to close their exhibits.

Today zoos in Atlanta, Georgia; Memphis, Tennessee; San Diego, California; and Washington, D.C., rent pandas for display and research.

These four U.S. institutions must each pay an annual fee of one million U.S. dollars to the Chinese government, which retains ownership rights to the animals.

On top of that, if a cub is born (see photo)—as with last summer's birth of Tai Shan at the National Zoo in Washington—the zoo is charged an extra one-time "baby tax" of $600,000.

The loan agreements, most spanning ten years, have become a financial headache for the nation's zoos.

"It's tough for a zoological institution like ours, or the other three zoos [with pandas in the U.S.], to sustain that level of spending indefinitely," said Dennis Kelly, chief executive of Zoo Atlanta.

Both Zoo Atlanta and the San Diego Zoo's panda exhibits lose money.

"It really is turning out to be somewhat of a hardship," said Don Lindburg, head of the office of giant pandas at the San Diego Zoo.
Edinburgh zoo's pandas are a big cuddly waste of money - 7 December 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... aste-money

..and there are plenty more entries like that.

ghs

Re: Artificial insemination planned

#48 Post by ghs » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:34 am

With the 2012 Giant Panda breeding season now complete plans are underway for the use of artificial insemination in 2013.

Although Wang Wang and Funi are clearly a compatible pair, young age and inexperience has prevented a successful mating in their two breeding seasons to date.

Senior Panda Keeper, Simone Davey, said the team have again seen positive interactions from the pair, especially Funi who exhibited all the right mating behaviours.

"Wang Wang is about to turn seven and Funi has only just turned six so it's quite normal that they have not mated naturally," Simone said.

"At this point the most exciting thing for us is to see the continued positive interactions between them. Like last year Funi has been great, exhibiting all the right mating behaviours and Wang Wang has shown a vast improvement based on what we saw from him this time last year."

With the experience of two breeding seasons now documented 2013 is the perfect time to employ the additional support of artificial insemination.

This process would be used in conjunction with natural mating attempts and would take place even if a successful mating does occur.

"Discussions can now begin to ensure artificial insemination experts are on site for the 2013 Giant Panda breeding season." Simone said.

Giant Pandas are seen as ambassadors for conservation and with fewer than 1,600 remaining in the wild Wang Wang and Funi are an important part of the global insurance population.

Adelaide Zoo's panda exhibit is open to the public as of today, Tuesday, August 28, with both pandas on display.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Maximus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:54 am

Latest developments...
Fewer patrons visit Adelaide Zoo as novelty of pandas wears off
Clare Peddie
adelaidenow
November 08, 201210:00PM

ZOO attendance has plummeted to pre-panda levels over the past financial year.

Today, members of the Royal Zoological Society of South Australia will receive a letter about changes to the board and publication of the 2011-2012 annual report.

The report is available online and is yet to be tabled in Parliament.

Outgoing president Kevin McGuinness, who chose not nominate for another term, said there was "no question" the past 12 months had been a "tremendous challenge".

"The level of debt with Westpac was reset to $7.5 million at a concessional interest rate and with a five-year term," he said.

"In addition, the State Government agreed to increase the annual operating grant to $4.5 million as well as providing additional funding to meet interest costs on the Westpac debt."

Revenue dropped almost $2.4 million, because admissions slumped. At Adelaide Zoo, total admissions fell to 395,632 from the peak of 490,591 in 2009-10 and 485,382 in 2010-11.

"We saw a spike in 09-10 and 10-11, which was anticipated. That was after the arrival of pandas," Zoos SA chief executive Elaine Bensted said.

"It's just simply that that spike hasn't been maintained. We've gone back to slightly above where we were, before the arrival of the pandas."

Ms Bensted has been in the role since September, following the resignation of former chief executive Professor Chris West in April, but she remains up-beat.

"It's excellent, I'm loving it. It's a great organisation," she said. "There is incredible potential for Zoos South Australia to thrive in the future."

Memberships are down to 26,754 from 29,027 in 2011, largely due to a fall in family memberships from 24,466 to 20,569. But there are more life members and bequests.

There is no plan to review admission prices.

A chartered accountant, a marketing guru, a zoologist and the Guide Dogs SA chief executive officer are new Board members, who will help guide the organisation through the coming year.

UniSA animal behaviour expert Dr Carla Litchfield has been nominated for president and Rodney Hobbs vice president, subject to ratification at the AGM on November 29.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6513286768
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by Will » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:58 am

They should at-least trial a period of a few months where they reduce admission prices.

I am sure I am not the only person who would like to visit the zoo regularly, but is put off by the high admission prices.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by Mants » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Will wrote:They should at-least trial a period of a few months where they reduce admission prices.

I am sure I am not the only person who would like to visit the zoo regularly, but is put off by the high admission prices.
i definitely agree with this and am in the same position. most people i have spoken to about the issue of admission prices would concur as well.
surely they would realise if zoo tickets cost half the amount, attendance would rise significantly.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#52 Post by Wayno » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Mants wrote:surely they would realise if zoo tickets cost half the amount, attendance would rise significantly.
yep, as would the profits at their cafe and gift shop. Significantly so.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#53 Post by Songsting » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm

We all think the same thing; halve the price, watch the visitor numbers double or more, therefore far more profits with food, souvenirs etc. So what are we missing? Why are the zoo bosses being so ridiculously stubborn about this?

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Goya's Line » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:49 am

I caught the Popeye a few months ago and remembered how beautiful the Torrens can be. Prices were reasonable, the (captain?) said they're doing well financially and there's a stop at the zoo, though no signs indicating a shared entry fee. Wonder if that's on the table?

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Maximus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:21 am

It's never bothered me to pay relatively high prices for zoo admission, either in Adelaide or elsewhere, but that's because I assume the money is being effectively and responsibly spent on animal welfare and conservation. If there's evidence to the contrary, though, then it would definitely make me think twice. So I don't think it's just the admission price putting people off, I think the zoo needs to re-build some trust with the public, too.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#56 Post by Wayno » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 am

Maximus wrote:So I don't think it's just the admission price putting people off, I think the zoo needs to re-build some trust with the public, too.
thanks maximus, you point is valid in part. Speaking personally i don't take my kids to the zoo because of the entry cost. We still go out, but to less expense attractions. So someone else gets the $$$ i spend on snacks & lunch. Their loss. I'm sure this is the case with many families.

Thinking out loud, would the zoo benefit from a beer garden? i don't mean inside the zoo, but adjacent with views over the torrens, and views back into one zoo attraction through a glass wall, perhaps the meer cats (a fav of many). It wold certainly supplement their income. I could go sit there while the missus takes the kids around the zoo :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Vee » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:20 am

Songsting wrote:We all think the same thing; halve the price, watch the visitor numbers double or more, therefore far more profits with food, souvenirs etc. So what are we missing? Why are the zoo bosses being so ridiculously stubborn about this?
Yes, it must be worth trying a reduction in admission prices to half or near, accompanied by free publicity from media and tourism operators. Surely visitor numbers will increase markedly to make up the shortfall in $$$ from lower entry fees, and sales from kiosks, souvenir shop etc will add to the coffers as several have suggested.

The fast approaching holiday season would suggest some urgency in making a decision to benefit from the expected crowds, great weather and increased leisure time. Given the apparent parlous state of Zoo finances, I couldn't see a backlash by anyone having already purchased a Zoo membership, which entitles multiple visits anyway.

I like Goya's Line comment on some cooperative marketing with the Popeye operator too. The Riverbank precinct upgrade will attract more locals and visitors to the area and the Zoo needs to capitalize on its excellent location. The new entry is great but is there opportunity to make use of the riverside of the zoo as Wayno suggested?

ghs

#58 Post by ghs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 pm

$31.50 for an adult now.

It used to be $28 I thought.

I think the management of the Zoo are relying on the Panda's breeding which
will increase visitor numbers.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#59 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 pm

They'd have better odds if they put all their money on 00 in roulette.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#60 Post by rev » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:51 am

Vee wrote:
Songsting wrote:We all think the same thing; halve the price, watch the visitor numbers double or more, therefore far more profits with food, souvenirs etc. So what are we missing? Why are the zoo bosses being so ridiculously stubborn about this?
Yes, it must be worth trying a reduction in admission prices to half or near, accompanied by free publicity from media and tourism operators. Surely visitor numbers will increase markedly to make up the shortfall in $$$ from lower entry fees, and sales from kiosks, souvenir shop etc will add to the coffers as several have suggested.

The fast approaching holiday season would suggest some urgency in making a decision to benefit from the expected crowds, great weather and increased leisure time. Given the apparent parlous state of Zoo finances, I couldn't see a backlash by anyone having already purchased a Zoo membership, which entitles multiple visits anyway.

I like Goya's Line comment on some cooperative marketing with the Popeye operator too. The Riverbank precinct upgrade will attract more locals and visitors to the area and the Zoo needs to capitalize on its excellent location. The new entry is great but is there opportunity to make use of the riverside of the zoo as Wayno suggested?
Why not tours of/to various sites?
Zoo + Museum + Parliament/Old Parliament + Governors house + Wine Center + Botanic Gardens + Migration Museum + Old Adelaide Gaol + Popeye for example..
Have Popeye stop off at Geckos? or whatever that restaurant is at the end near the wier, people can get off go play a few rounds of golf. They could even include a few hours of shopping down Rundle Mall and lunch down Rundle Street.
I'm sure there are other sites that are worthy of being included in a tour..
Heck they could have some fancy little tour buses as well..