Port Stanvac Refinery

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
baytram366
High Rise Poster!

Port Stanvac Refinery

#1 Post by baytram366 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Wasn't to sure where to start this topic but thought it should be seperate to the desal plant topic.
I am wanting to see if anyone can share some history and photos of Port Stanvac before it is demolished. Also, does anyone know when demolition will start and what, if anything, will be built in its place?
I have searched around on here but can't find any details but sorry if this topic has already been brought up.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

metro
Legendary Member!

Re: Port Stanvac Refinery

#2 Post by metro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:42 pm

big industrial stuff like this should be preserved, especially manufacturing/oil refinery stuff :shock: . Hope they preserve at least some of it. The idea of just clearing it all and covering it with McMansions makes me sick, and it might make a lot of other people sick in the future too. :roll:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:51 pm

I would love to see rail extended into it when standard gauging finally happens, and see it being used as a port and an an industrial site once more.
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#4 Post by skyliner » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:18 pm

In answer to Baytram 366 I believe it originated and actually met it's expense threshold through a deal with SAR where all fuel would be used from there only. In more recent times factors changed where they pulled out anyway. (In the last two years electrification of the railways it would haver exacurbated the situation substantially). Still, I believe we should have at least one petrochemical plant in this state.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:02 pm

rhino wrote:I would love to see rail extended into it when standard gauging finally happens, and see it being used as a port and an an industrial site once more.
Port facilities should be consolidated at Port Adelaide.

Aidan

#6 Post by Aidan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:43 pm

rev wrote:
rhino wrote:I would love to see rail extended into it when standard gauging finally happens, and see it being used as a port and an an industrial site once more.
Port facilities should be consolidated at Port Adelaide.
Port Stanvac is a deepwater port, able to handle much bigger vessels than Port Adelaide. If we can gain an advantage from using it then we should. But can we?

There was a proposal to use it to export grain, but that relied on standardizing Adelaide's railways, so it came to nothing. Instead they built a new terminal at Port Adelaide, so they're unlikely to want to use Port Stanvac any time soon. They can't completely fill the biggest ships up at Port Adelaide as they would've been able to at Port Stanvac, but they get around that problem by topping them up at Port Lincoln.

It's sensible to retain port capacity, but I can't imagine there's be any demand for it any time soon.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by baytram366 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the info so far guys.
To get the ball rolling on the photos side of things, I have uploaded a set to Flickr here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/baytram366 ... 108067450/
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Xaragmata

#8 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 pm

It would be great if the jetty is made available for rec fishing & diving ...

http://southern-times-messenger.whereil ... tty-offer/

Port Stanvac jetty offer 9 Aug 11
EXXON Mobil has offered the Port Stanvac Jetty to Onkaparinga Council, giving anglers and divers hope it could one day be used for recreational fishing and diving.

In a letter tabled at the council’s August 2 meeting, Mobil asked if the council was interested in taking over jetty once the site was decommissioned.

eIn the letter, Exxon says it will look to demolish the jetty if the council is not interested.

Onkaparinga Mayor Lorraine Rosenberg said any responsibility for the jetty should fall to the State Government (see separate report). ...
From memory, Stanvac simply derived from Standard Vacuum.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:10 am

I'm personally looking forward to seeing all this demolished, it's an eyesore looking from say Glenelg or Brighton. This area has some nice coastal scenery which has been wasted on industrial for decades.

Transforming the jetty into a tourism attraction for rec fishers and divers is a really good idea.

metro
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by metro » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:40 pm

I wish they could preserve it, or am I the only one who thinks this? :?

Like they've done some great things with former industrial sites on the Harbour in Sydney, but best one best i've visited was an old steel mill that closed in 1985 in one of the industrial regions of Germany http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landschaft ... sburg-Nord

but here in SA we have very few big industrial sites in this city, this oil refinery might be an eye sore at the moment because it's unused and abandoned, but I think if it were to be turned into a park like those in Sydney and that one in Germany, with picnic spaces, bike trails, a huge playground for kids, they could do tours and tell people about the history of the site and how back in the 20th and early 21st centuries we were very dependent on fossil fuels. also at night it could be lit up with pretty lights. The site is huge and they could open some parts of it up to development, and of course open up the Jetty to fishers and divers. It could really become a tourist attraction for the southern suburbs. Will be a shame to see it all demolished and replaced with McMansions :roll:

RAL1981Adelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by RAL1981Adelaide » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Personally, I remember reading a few Southern Time's Messenger's that business operators along beach road Christies Beach is looking for a tram line to be built, good idea, but a better idea is to build that tram line, and also have it to extend through O'sullivans beach to the old refinery site, have a stop at the jetty then terminating at the Lonsdale station. How does this tie in to the big pitcher of the old refinery you may ask? What I like to see is the site to turn in a mini CBD, by that I mean office building raging from two to ten story's high with a mix of night clubs and a like while keeping the jetty open for fishing, diving and related past time.

Aidan

#12 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 am

RAL1981Adelaide wrote:Personally, I remember reading a few Southern Time's Messenger's that business operators along beach road Christies Beach is looking for a tram line to be built, good idea,
Bad idea actually - it would be expensive to construct and demand is unlikely to be high enough to justify it - particularly as the western end would connect with nothing so the trams would run nearly empty at that end of the route.

Currently two bus routes from Noarlunga run down Beach Road, after which one heads N and the other heads S. A much better solution would be to make the buses run more frequently and provide real time information on when the next one's coming.
but a better idea is to build that tram line, and also have it to extend through O'sullivans beach to the old refinery site, have a stop at the jetty then terminating at the Lonsdale station.
The terrain from Christies Beach to Lonsdale, though not totally unsuitable for trams, is much better suited to buses. One of the bus routes along Beach Road does continue to Lonsdale, though it doesn't currently serve the station as it once did.
How does this tie in to the big pitcher of the old refinery you may ask? What I like to see is the site to turn in a mini CBD, by that I mean office building raging from two to ten story's high with a mix of night clubs and a like while keeping the jetty open for fishing, diving and related past time.
Why would you want a mini CBD at Port Stanvac? Buses don't converge there, and it would be very difficult and expensive to reorganize the routes to get them to - therefore having ten storey buildings there is likely to encourage car dependence. 'Tis much better to put that sort of thing at Noarlunga Centre. Indeed they already have done, though it's so mini you may have failed to recognise it!

Meanwhile there's significant demand for industrial land in the southern suburbs, so it makes sense for Lonsdale to remain industrial.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

metro
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by metro » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Shame!! A landmark industrial site of 20th century SA history is to be torn down :wallbash:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... l-comments

Aidan

Port Stanvac Refinery

#14 Post by Aidan » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Surprised adelaidenow got the year wrong!

As for the chimney, I won't miss it. Not all landmarks are worth saving.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by neoballmon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:19 am

Wish I knew what time it was coming down, I would have liked to see that!

But a friend of a friend on Facebook was near the site when it all came down, took a video. Apologies if this doesn't work without knowing the the owner.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202420705453380
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!