Snippets of SA History - Now vs Then

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Snippets of SA History - Now vs Then

#1 Post by Wayno » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Apologies if a thread like this already exists. Feel free to merge...

History of The Greek on Halifax

This is one of my fav places in Adelaide. For what is offers now, and what is once was:
http://www.thegreek.com.au/ (75 - 79 Halifax Street)
the_greek.jpg
the_greek.jpg (61.31 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
The building in which you are dining and chimney outside are the only surviving elements of the once busy City Destructor Complex that was established in 1909 and exemplified a maxim of that time, ‘waste not, want not.’

The chimney and the disinfector building are a small part of the former complex, which once comprised a refuse Destructor, a tin bailing press, clinker paver mill, a brewery, flour mill and biscuit factory, mortar mill, boot and vinegar factories and a flag making plant.

It’s hard to imagine now, but the Destructor with its 38m tall chimney, was operating until the early 1950’s. For more than forty years the bulk of Adelaide’s rubbish was brought here until a special committee - set up to investigate alternatives for rubbish disposal - opted for landfill at Wingfield in 1952. The Destructor may not have been popular with city residents, but it was certainly effective.

The Destructor worked twenty-four hours a day and the furnaces produced so much heat that the resultant steam powered an electricity generator. The generator supplied this whole site. The complex also used the steam to disinfect laundry.

The steam disinfector building, now known as The Greek on Halifax, was used for the fumigation of bedding and clothing. In 1910 it was reported that a quarter of an hour in the system was sufficient to effectively sterilise garments and bedding. Following the steam process, the items were placed in a steam laundry followed by pressing with electric irons. For this service, individuals were charged a guinea per vanload, although for those too poor to pay, the service was free. Excess electricity was fed back to the Adelaide Electric Company to light the nearby streets.

The Greek has retained the integrity of the original disinfector building with its walls of fine red Hallett bricks - all 400,000 of them - and gaze upwards at the Metropolitan Company’s 150,000 brick chimney.

At night, be captivated by the glowing red, orange and yellow light from the furnace seen through the slumped glass panel set into the chimney opening. The paving design surrounding the chimney connects with the manufacture of clinker pavers on the site as well as the original architecture of the buildings.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Snippets of SA History - Now vs Then

#2 Post by Vee » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks, Wayno. Fascinating.
Your snippet of history will stay with me next time I visit the Greek on Halifax.

I hope others can add to this thread. As a history buff, I appreciate the extra insights such information, text and visual, adds.

I do recall a PDF booklet, title unknown, somewhere online which included other fascinating glimpses of our past city heritage - some sadly gone forever, some still standing in full splendour or disfigured with ugly facades/additions and some re-purposed and refurbished. Another resource was a map of the city with old landmarks and an interactive interface that I think was created by one of the multimedia companies some time ago.

It would be great to resurrect and add to the information, interesting stories and photographic evidence of our past city heritage and bring it to life for the 21st century. By this I mean make it more accessible to residents and visitors through the medium of technology.

Examples include an app, for mobile phone or tablet, developed by one of our technology/mobile communication developers, university or senior technology students or some sort of competition open to anyone (with information, resources and historic photos with appropriate licensing made available).

Apps, suitable for discovery walking trails or particular precincts or themes or special events, could be developed and the more sophisticated could include augmented reality enhancements as have been developed for some overseas cities eg in the Netherlands. Mobile technologies (becoming ubiquitous across multiple generations) tablets, mini tablets and smartphones, free Wi-Fi and 3G/4G networks, readily available, low cost/free app creation and A-R creation software and tech savvy people make this possible.

These could add to/enhance our tourism potential, visitor appeal of the city eg augment the available range of experiences for Convention attendees or partners who could be a popular target group. The potential for participation and collaboration adds to the experience.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm

There is an interesting feature on AdelaideNow today, comparing Adelaide streetscapes from 1936 to today.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/thenandnow

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Nathan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:10 pm

It's actually from a book that's been out for a few months, available at Dymocks. Not sure why AdelaideNow has drudged it up today.

[Shuz]

#5 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:18 am

Slow news day?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Slow news day?
just slow news. Today AdelaideNow reports the scoop that an Apple store might soon open in Adelaide...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#7 Post by skyliner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Nathan wrote:It's actually from a book that's been out for a few months, available at Dymocks. Not sure why AdelaideNow has drudged it up today.
Nearly bought this last September - from memory it takes streets from the CBD about 100 or more years ago, has them as diagrams or as photographs and representated on the opposite page in exactly the same locations now. Works in landscaping style photography and thus a very wide book.
The Greek on Halifax site would be in this.
Jack.

babilon
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by babilon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Nice old pic of the building used for fumigation of and clothing and bedspreads Australia. Can anyone tell the name of the book and price?