Beware of sex, drink and medicine in UAE

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Beware of sex, drink and medicine in UAE

#1 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Why clients should beware of sex, drink and medicine in UAE
Written by Peter Needham

A British woman, allegedly kidnapped and gang raped by three men in Dubai, has been prosecuted for drinking without a licence and fined about $AUD250.

Britain’s Independent newspaper says the case is the latest example of the United Arab Emirates’ archaic legal system in action. It cites several similarly disturbing incidents.

Human Rights Watch says the UAE does not do enough to protect victims of sexual assault – and visitors can be caught up as well as residents. Victims reporting crimes often end up being charged themselves.

Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) warns Australian travellers visiting the UAE to “be aware that local laws and penalties, including ones that appear harsh by Australian standards, do apply to you.

“De facto relationships, homosexual relationships and acts, adultery and prostitution are illegal and subject to severe punishment. Sex outside of marriage is illegal and may lead to imprisonment. It is also against the law in the UAE to live together or share the same hotel room with someone of the opposite sex to whom you are not married or closely related. These laws apply to residents as well as visitors.

“The UAE has a zero tolerance policy towards illegal drugs,” DFAT warns. “Penalties can include the death sentence or life imprisonment. Medications available over the counter or by prescription in Australia may be illegal in the UAE.”

Additionally, DFAT advises Aussies to “exercise a high degree of caution in the UAE because of the threat of terrorist attack”.

In the latest case highlighted by the Independent, three men allegedly lured the young woman into a car as she returned from a night out with friends. The woman says she was taken to an apartment where the men repeatedly raped her, dragging her back as she tried to escape.

When the woman admitted she drank three glasses of wine with friends before the incident. she was charged for that offence and fined 1000 dirhams (over $AUD250).

Other cases involving foreigners in the UAE, cited by the Independent, have included:
  • Ayman Najafi, 24, and Charlotte Lewis, 25, were each sentenced to a month in prison in 2010 after being accused of kissing on the lips in a restaurant. They claimed it was just a peck on the cheek as a greeting.
  • Businessman Steven Sherriff, 43, was jailed for six months for pinching a woman’s bottom in a bar. He denied the incident took place and successfully appealed, but his legal costs topped $AUD100,000, which the paper says ruined him financially.
  • Rebecca Blake, 29, and Conor McRedmond, 27, were jailed for three months and fined over $AUD1500 after allegedly having drunken sex in the back of a taxi. They denied it and DNA tests later confirmed they were innocent.
The latest publicity over the alleged rape comes just a week after the executive director of a leading travel insurance provider for travel agents in Australia, SureSave, warned travellers about extremely stringent drug laws in place in the UAE.

They covered “a wide range of common medicines, including codeine-based painkillers, valium and ritalin”, Michael McAuliffe said. These are common enough in Australia but all are illegal in the UAE.

“Should they be found on a traveller, there can be serious consequences,” McAuliffe warned.

“Even the most minuscule traces of any controlled substance on an individual’s person, or in some cases, in their bloodstream, can potentially land them in prison. In one high profile case, a British woman was found to have codeine in her body and was held in a Dubai jail for eight weeks before being sent home. Travellers need to be aware.”

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is a federation of seven emirates (states), each with its own ruler. The constituent emirates are Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain. Alcohol is generally served only in hotel restaurants and bars in the UAE (but not in the state of Sharjah). Nightclubs and golf clubs are permitted to sell alcohol. Drinking without a liquor licence is technically illegal in Dubai, though bars and hotels never ask to see the document.

Global Travel Media
Please be diligent (and vigilant) on your stopovers in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Beware of sex, drink and medicine in UAE

#2 Post by crawf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:14 am

UAE need to move with the times and overhaul it's ancient laws or they may start doing some major damage to their image.

Some of those stories are ridiculous, jailing someone for kissing someone on the cheek, getting a fine for drinking after being viciously raped or even taking a pain killer. I knew the laws were more extreme over there, but that is just wrong.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Fining people for public shows of affection and touchy feely might be ridiculous to us Crawf, but to them it's normal. It's their way of life.
All be it, it sucks that they don't take sexual assaults more seriously and punish rape victims rather then offenders.
But let's think about it for a moment...how would we feel if China one day replaced America and started trying to impose it's will and way of life/pop culture/etc on the rest of the world, including us here?
It's all very well to live in the western world with a western culture and way of life.
But reverse the roles Crawf and think if you'd like it.
Please be diligent (and vigilant) on your stopovers in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Cheers
Aha yeh because Asia is so much more safer..
Direct Emirates flights must be really starting to bite.

claybro

#4 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 am

Whilst we have no right to impose our views on their customs and laws, it serves as a warning that the complacent masses here in Australia and the Western World at large must be vigilent to the slow steady rise of Islamification of our own laws and customs.While we seem to delight in the removal of Christian based references and customs in our society, there are a rising number of groups within our society who promote a duel system, where some forms of sharia law can be used on reidents within the local islamic communities served by their own courts etc. As this article points out, some of these laws are completely incompatible with our way of life. And if you think this only goes on in UAE, then look up some of the laws in supposedly moderate Malaysia and you will see a similar pattern.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:47 pm

claybro wrote:...the slow steady rise of Islamification of our own laws and customs...
Why are you heaping laws in with customs? These are two VERY different things.

Give me five real examples where this is happening in Australia.
claybro wrote:While we seem to delight in the removal of Christian based references and customs in our society
Our society for the most part is, and should be secular - that mean NO religion should form the basis of a mono-culture, but at the same time anyone is free to practice their customs as they wish as long as it does not impact on anyone else's freedom to do the same. "Your right to punch the air ends at my nose."

Again give me five real examples where your claim is true.
claybro wrote:there are a rising number of groups within our society who promote a duel system, where some forms of sharia law can be used on reidents within the local islamic communities served by their own courts etc.
Again, in our society, this is a no-no. Our laws have moved away from a regious base to a secular base. Yes "we" have a mostly Christian heritage, but where it comes to the Law NO religion should have any sway in morals. Morals are something that you can only come by from reason.

Again, give me five real examples where one of this minority groups have affected the Law in Australia. Next an easier task, give me five examples where a minority group who call themselves Christain regualrly lobby the Government.
claybro wrote:As this article points out, some of these laws are completely incompatible with our way of life. And if you think this only goes on in UAE, then look up some of the laws in supposedly moderate Malaysia and you will see a similar pattern.
Yes, there are injust laws based on religious belief all over the World. Yes, many of these countries have Islam at their centre. Many, not all. No you cannot single out Islam as the only culprit where fundamentalist belief is over ruling reason. There is no way a sane and just system of Law can be based on any of the Torah, Bible or Koran for they are all full of inconsistencies and unjust actions.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#6 Post by claybro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:02 pm

By "our society" i referr to western socienty in general. Yes our society is secular, but our laws and customs are based on christian princables. Laws generally arrise from the need to regulate customs good or otherwise. so the two cannot necessarily be separated. We have long ago separated the law , governement and the church, however Islam does not allow this. Laws in the Islamic world are still closely linked to religion and therefore our western freedoms are not always appropriate for their culture . I referred to the example of Malaysia as a moderate Muslim country, and yet even there, a person can be arrested for passionately kissing in public. If you want evidence of the problems we are soon to face, visit the UK and Netherlands, and more recently Austria where slowly Islamic representation found its way into local council and then government, seeking to change the laws of among other things marriage laws, and alchohol trading laws, schooling among other subtle changes, until there are now loud calls from minorities to allow the duel system of laws in some regions. I am by no means a redneck, but we need to be less apathetic of our culture and more tuned in to the alternatives knocking at our door.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by serca » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Interesting and opinionated topic. Its a shame this stuff happens in this part of the world because a lot of their culture, customs and laws are great and justified. I think they need to get with the times when it comes to treating their women with some equality. To varying degrees both Islamic Law and common law are influenced by the respective religions but thats a far as it goes. Cannon law for example was law legislated from christians. Thank fuck for common law hey, don't need a pope legally enforcing the way i think. Anyway thats my understanding. A woman being gang raped then being arrested for drinking is just PATHETIC, should boycott them for that shit. Claybro Malaysia has a big islamic population but their judicial system is still common law. When me and the missus travel abroad we throw a dart at the world map and no matter where it lands thats our next destination , the last dart landed on Algeria. After some research in tourism to Algeria I threw again and Osaka Japan here we come :cheers:

claybro

#8 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm

What a great way to select holiday spots. I always have trouble moving on from the last place i really liked, so i tend to do multiple visits to the same spots, only to get a bit bored second/third time around. Might try the dartbourd method. :cheers:

Ho Really

#9 Post by Ho Really » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:[...]

There is no way a sane and just system of Law can be based on any of the Torah, Bible or Koran for they are all full of inconsistencies and unjust actions.
Aren't you over generalising? Besides are you sure those laws you are referring to aren't just to those living there? Maybe explain a bit more.

Cheers

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Ho Really wrote:
There is no way a sane and just system of Law can be based on any of the Torah, Bible or Koran for they are all full of inconsistencies and unjust actions.
Aren't you over generalising? Besides are you sure those laws you are referring to aren't just to those living there? Maybe explain a bit more.
Cheers
You have two separate issues there.

First, am I overgeneralising? No. None of the Abrahamic texts are particularly useful as a basis for a just moral system. I'm not going to argue that point here as it's been argued very well for many decades. I'll just say that the only way to do so is to cherry pick the good bits, ignore the existence of the abhorrent bits and insert your own bits in between what is left.

Second, am I sure those laws you are referring to aren't just to those living there? I'm not sure what you are asking, but any traveller to any country is subject to their laws. So it's not just for those living there, but all people in the region.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 pm

How has this thread progressed from being cautious in the UAE to the morality in religion? lol

The UAE is not Pakistan or whatever, it is filled with people from around the wider region, even people who are not muslim.
Tourists continue to visit the country.
Our ADF people and service people from other countries even feel safe enough to move around the city while on deployment..

How many Australians are locked up over in Dubai?
How often do we hear about Australians being locked up or dying in Asian countries? Too often.

That doesn't go to say that those countries are bad and that they should be avoided.
What it illustrates is that some people are not respecting the local laws in the countries they are visiting and are getting caught breaking those laws and paying the price.

There obviously aren't as many Aussie tourists going to the Middle East as there are to Asia, given Asia's proximity to Australia and that parts of Asia are seen as a cheap party destination for sex(legal) tourism for groups of young men.

But the point still stands. If you don't respect the law of the country you are visiting, then don't bitch and cry when you are punished according to THAT countries laws, which you broke.
It is not up to us to dictate what laws and customs other countries should have.
If they tried to tell us we should implement Sharia law here in Australia, we'd be up in arms telling them to f' off.

It shouldn't matter if it's in Asia or the Middle East. The message should be to be mindful of the laws in foreign countries regardless of which continent they are in.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:33 am

rev wrote:How has this thread progressed from being cautious in the UAE to the morality in religion? lol

The UAE is not Pakistan or whatever, it is filled with people from around the wider region, even people who are not muslim.
Tourists continue to visit the country.
Our ADF people and service people from other countries even feel safe enough to move around the city while on deployment..

How many Australians are locked up over in Dubai?
How often do we hear about Australians being locked up or dying in Asian countries? Too often.

That doesn't go to say that those countries are bad and that they should be avoided.
What it illustrates is that some people are not respecting the local laws in the countries they are visiting and are getting caught breaking those laws and paying the price.

There obviously aren't as many Aussie tourists going to the Middle East as there are to Asia, given Asia's proximity to Australia and that parts of Asia are seen as a cheap party destination for sex(legal) tourism for groups of young men.

But the point still stands. If you don't respect the law of the country you are visiting, then don't bitch and cry when you are punished according to THAT countries laws, which you broke.
It is not up to us to dictate what laws and customs other countries should have.
If they tried to tell us we should implement Sharia law here in Australia, we'd be up in arms telling them to f' off.

It shouldn't matter if it's in Asia or the Middle East. The message should be to be mindful of the laws in foreign countries regardless of which continent they are in.
Agree 100%

Ho Really

#13 Post by Ho Really » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:05 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
You have two separate issues there.

First, am I overgeneralising? No. None of the Abrahamic texts are particularly useful as a basis for a just moral system. I'm not going to argue that point here as it's been argued very well for many decades. I'll just say that the only way to do so is to cherry pick the good bits, ignore the existence of the abhorrent bits and insert your own bits in between what is left.
I'll keep it short or I'll invoke the ire of those that don't like religion. So here it goes...

In my opinion you have. You made a blanket statement re: three holy books. You only corrected things when you mentioned Abrahamic texts.

I agree with you about basing laws solely on what was written then. Those laws were written for then and only for a reason, which I will not go into here. The unfortunate matter is that one of the three Abrahamic religions (faiths) has taken those "unjust" laws and expanded on them.
Second, am I sure those laws you are referring to aren't just to those living there? I'm not sure what you are asking, but any traveller to any country is subject to their laws. So it's not just for those living there, but all people in the region.
What I meant was that the laws of the UAE are their laws and are considered just by those who've decided to live there, whether they are Muslims or not. Rev made the point that you should respect their laws. The same would apply here in Oz.

Ignorance is not an excuse. One should be informed of the laws when travelling. It is just like visiting a friend's place. Don't expect to smoke or take off your shoes and put your feet on their coffee table...and so on.

The only real issue with the UAE and some other Asian countries is when someone is wrongfully accused, entrapped or inadvertently falling foul of the law. A case in point is that of the woman who was raped (being the victim), then being incarcerated because she was inebriated (three glasses of wine). The solution would be to go in pairs, groups or with a local guide. Easy to say, I know, but I'm short of a solution (except I could say: just don't go there in the first place). :wink:

Cheers

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Ho Really wrote:In my opinion you have. You made a blanket statement re: three holy books. You only corrected things when you mentioned Abrahamic texts.
monotonehell wrote:There is no way a sane and just system of Law can be based on any of the Torah, Bible or Koran for they are all full of inconsistencies and unjust actions.
monotonehell wrote:Abrahamic texts
Just in case you were under some other impression the Abrahamic texts are exactly the Torah, Bible and Koran.

:D

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Wayno » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:47 pm

off topic i know, and still UAE related, but focused on Adelaide due to the newly introduced Emirates flights.

http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/tra ... -game#full
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.