New SA Logo

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: New SA Logo

#91 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 pm

The winner of the 99designs logo competition. sparky3d :applause:

It is far better than the crap we got initially.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#92 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Doesn't meet the brief, does it?

Nice logo if it's made to South Aussies feel good, but that's not the point, is it?
cheers,
Rhino

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 pm

[Shuz] wrote:It is far better than the crap we got initially.
Sadly, I'd have to agree.

Is it the best that can be done? I don't know. But it has a lot of potential - particularly with those three separate panels. And it clearly shows KI, which is a big plus.

:2cents:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

rhino

#94 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:16 pm

Maximus wrote: And it clearly shows KI, which is a big plus.
Really?

Gulf St Vincent is missing.
cheers,
Rhino

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#95 Post by Maximus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 pm

rhino wrote:
Maximus wrote: And it clearly shows KI, which is a big plus.
Really?

Gulf St Vincent is missing.
Surely one of the first things a tourist, with no knowledge of SA, is going to ask about the logo is: "What's that little triangle?" Cue discussion about KI.

rhino

#96 Post by rhino » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Well, the word coming back from the Premier's OS trip was "Is South Australia an actual place?" - hence the brief to show SA's location within the continent as part of the logo.

Remember, this isn't a logo to make ourselves feel good, it's a logo for the rest of the world, to show them who we are (SOUTH Australia) and where we are. It doesn't matter that Kangaroo Island, Tasmania, Frazer Island, the Tiwi Islands or Australia's Antactic Territory are missing, Australia is still instantly recognisable, and SA's location in Australia is instantly recognisable. It's logo, not a tourist map.
cheers,
Rhino

Nathan

#97 Post by Nathan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 pm

About what I expected and certainly not better than what we got. Conceptually, it's very light on. It's a stylised map, yes, and then... nothing. I don't mind how they've stylised it, but there's nothing more to it. They've just done the usual fallback and use it as a window, filling it with a random assortment of patterns and filtered photos and submitted them all in a "throw it all at a wall and see what sticks" manner. (Yes, the official logo is used as a window as well, and it's just as lazy there). They've particularly focussed on those triangle patterns - which to me is an absolute no-go. Melbourne well and truly own triangle patterns in Australia (not only is it a defining feature of the City of Melbourne branding, but that is reference the prevalence of it's use in Melbourne architecture).

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by Maximus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am

rhino wrote:Doesn't meet the brief, does it?
Yes, true. I agree in theory with the brief, but my problem with it is: (a) the logo we've ended up with looks, to me, too much like a logo for Australia, rather than SA, and (b) the brief relies upon the assumption that someone from overseas would recognise the shape of Australia -- and I'm not so convinced that the stylised Australia of the logo is recognisable enough for a foreigner.

I wonder if the winner of the 99 Design comp could somehow incorporate an outline of Australia (obviously not cartographic standard, but less stylised than currently) around the outside of the logo. That way we see the location of SA, but SA itself would be far more prominent than the shape of Australia.