Why so Dark?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Why so Dark?

#1 Post by Brazer » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

One thing I have noticed about our CBD is that it is very dark at night. Flying in at night a couple of weeks back, could hardly notice the city and the only reason I realised that it was the city was because I saw the Rundle Lantern. Now I get that its probably about energy conservation, but go around any other city around Australia and the majority of building lights are left on. It kind of provides a feeling of vibrancy... Can anyone shed some light on why our city is kept so dark at night? :?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Why so Dark?

#2 Post by crawf » Mon May 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I guess it depends on the timing and what day. I flew past the city last Wednesday evening, and the city looked stunning all lit up.

Though you are right, Adelaide is quite dark compared to the other major cities. The lack of tall modern buildings wouldn't help.
Last edited by crawf on Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Why so Dark?

#3 Post by Brazer » Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Flew in and landed at 6:45pm, would have thought some of the corporate office buldings may have some staff still working at that time. Maybe its the old heavily concrete laden buildings too! What is great about Melbourne's southbank precinct is that a lot of the new office/resi towers are predominantly glass... Where as you look at 1 king william and the intercontinental, 80% of the bulding looks like concrete