The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Dog
High Rise Poster!

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#46 Post by Dog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

zippySA wrote:Rather than vote for a "federal benfactor" why don't you think about local MP's who will be the ones that lobby and make a difference for SA. All Governments are run by individual MP's who are elected based upon their local votes - so if Liberal returns with SA MP's - they are the ones who will fight for SA, same goes for Labour.

Personally, I would like to think this State can develop into its own self-sustaining powerhouse that eventually doesn't rely upon a Federal benefactor - frankly I prefer to stand on my own two feet than become a subsidised burden on the Country (and my children who will have to pay the bills currently) - and this State has more potential than a large portion of the worlds Nation States - imagine living in a small, land-locked country with large population and small land mass (like many countries out there). SA should be a powerhouse but we need to take it into our own hands and create it - stop negativity and start generating new opportunity!

Now that's my rant for the day over.
That's not a bad rant, I agree, love to see SA stand on our own two feet, but till then we need all the help we can get. So So damn close with Olympic Dam. We still a huge potential and with every cent the dollar drops the more competitive again we will become and the closer Olympic Dam.

But statements like the "my kids will have to pay" are way off the mark, I would much rather see governments spend on infrastructure at times when the economy is struggling. The alternative is to borrow money to pay unemployment benefits which is what's happening in Europe and a real loss for future generations. Australia remains comparably a powerhouse compared to other western economies with very low debt. Our economy has grown 16% since the GFC, we have low unemployment.

When talking about wasting money, I noticed Mr Abbott announcing a $300m green army recently, so reminded me of the old labor red schemes of the 1970's, millions wasted on fake jobs and no skills and no real infrastructure built, but just away for local MP's to pork barrel in their electorates. . At least labor learned, this time it's roads, hospitals, schools, research buildings, Desal plants, ports, rail, pipelines, airports, and the NBN. Even Pink bats and solar panels will show a long term return.

These infrastructure projects strengthen our economy and will pay dividends in the future and not be a debt our kids will have to pay.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:18 pm

feral animals and weeds actually have a huge impact on productivity.

happy to have them taken care of.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by Dog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Waewick wrote:feral animals and weeds actually have a huge impact on productivity.

happy to have them taken care of.
The best solution I have heard to solve the feral animal problem (goats, pigs, horses, carp) is to legislate to have a reasonable % of all pet food to contain feral animal product.
The free market would do the rest, create lots of jobs and not cost us a cent.
As for spending $300m for kids to lean on shovels for 6 months, I think $300m spent on scientific/agricultural/cane toads research would have a bigger impact and create some real 21st century jobs.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by Dog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:18 pm

Why are the same economists that were telling us all only 2 months ago that the $A was doomed to stay well above US $1.06 for the next decade still believed when they now say the $A will not get back to parity and intact may go back to US $ .79.

Why do we give these people air space.

Last year as this this group of "experts" were reporting on every negative in the Chinese economy with glee. The result being the price of commodities including iron ore dropped dramatically.
In fact despite the media negativity all year, in reality Australia shipped a record amount of ore to China. So did China and these "experts" play us for a fool just to get commodity prices down. They used more and paid less how does that work?

Again there appears to be a negative group hell bent spreading negativity which in its self is self for filling.

The same group was telling us till recently that ever cent the dollar went up against the US $ the greater our deficit, don't hear them shouting how the reverse is putting us rapidly back into the black now.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:24 pm

It is well known that economists who make predictions' only talent is telling us why their previous predictions were wrong.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#51 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Dog wrote: Last year as this this group of "experts" were reporting on every negative in the Chinese economy with glee. The result being the price of commodities including iron ore dropped dramatically.
In fact despite the media negativity all year, in reality Australia shipped a record amount of ore to China. So did China and these "experts" play us for a fool just to get commodity prices down. They used more and paid less how does that work?
Dog, the Chinese economy has slowed very rapidly in the last 12months, much more that even many experts expected. The Chinese are currently still buying huge amounts of our raw material in order to stockpile them. The fact that they are currently paying so little is because without hugely discounted prices, they just would not be buying them at all their stockpiles are so huge. There are whole cities recently constructed in China sitting idle with no one to fill them. Don't buy the line that because our advertised KPI's are sound, things are good here...they are not. just ask any small business operator how they are faring at present will give you a good indication. Also don't believe the unemployment figures, as there are many thousands of people spending their redundancies who cannot claim unemployment, likewise, spouses without jobs and many more thousands on drastically reduced hours. On a positive, the lower dollar might halt the slide in our manufacturing fortunes, as our manufactured goods are now some 15 % cheaper overnight.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#52 Post by Dog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 am

claybro wrote:Dog, the Chinese economy has slowed very rapidly in the last 12months, much more that even many experts expected. The Chinese are currently still buying huge amounts of our raw material in order to stockpile them. The fact that they are currently paying so little is because without hugely discounted prices, they just would not be buying them at all their stockpiles are so huge. There are whole cities recently constructed in China sitting idle with no one to fill them. Don't buy the line that because our advertised KPI's are sound, things are good here...they are not. just ask any small business operator how they are faring at present will give you a good indication. Also don't believe the unemployment figures, as there are many thousands of people spending their redundancies who cannot claim unemployment, likewise, spouses without jobs and many more thousands on drastically reduced hours. On a positive, the lower dollar might halt the slide in our manufacturing fortunes, as our manufactured goods are now some 15 % cheaper overnight.

It's important to remember it's just the rate Chinas' growth that may have slowed, but they are still ploughing long at 7.8% and presumably using 7.8% more resources than the year before. Stock pile or not.

claybro

#53 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Dog wrote:It's important to remember it's just the rate Chinas' growth that may have slowed, but they are still ploughing long at 7.8% and presumably using 7.8% more resources than the year before. Stock pile or not.
Sorry to say Dog, that although a 7.8% domestic growth rate looks impressive to our Western economies, an economic growth rate of anything under 10% for China in actual fact sees that country retract as far as overseas trade is concerned. The volumes of resource buying might still be there (I have my doubts even the volume is still up there), but the price will continue its downward spiral and eventually it will be cheaper for the mining companies to just leave it in the ground, particularly with Australia's huge cost impositions. Many have been warning for a long time ANY slowing of the Chinese economy might spell disaster for Australia, and if it continues, our powerhouse states of WA and QLD will be well punished. Already in these states there is a huge pool of unemployed mine workers, not claiming benefits and not technically unemployed, but not spending in the local economy nonetheless. The mood in Perth currently is very subdued in comparison to 12 months ago, despite showing an unemployment rate of less than 5%, people have just stopped spending there overnight.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#54 Post by Dog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Claybro, ooh my god you are a glass half empty guy.
Just stop listening the those economist mate for the most part they have never worked a day in their academic lives let alone run a actual business, they know jack.
I read the financial review as well except I don't wear my Liberal party glasses.
These are the same people telling us last month the $A would stay above US$ 1.06 for the next decade.
If we all keep listening to these economic jerks we would all stop spending and everyone would go broke.
The biggest risk to small business is self consuming negativity. Don't see real business brains like Jerry Harvey talking down the economy he knows it's bad for business. Unlike Jerry Harvey most of these economic analyst and journalist don't run a business so they have nothing to lose.

claybro

#55 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Dog wrote:Claybro, ooh my god you are a glass half empty guy.
Just stop listening the those economist mate for the most part they have never worked a day in their academic lives let alone run a actual business, they know jack.
These are the same people telling us the $A would stay above US$ 1.06 for the next decade.
If we all keep listening to these economic jerks we would all stop spending and everyone would go broke.
The biggest risk to small business is self consuming negativity. Don't see real business brains like Jerry Harvey talking down the economy he knows it's bad for business.
Sorry dog, my glass half empty attitude would result from from the fact that this year, the company I work for has lost a quarter of its workforce. It is a large national company so this is not just an SA thing. Nearly everyone I speak to is very worried about their jobs and not just in my industry.The only ones of my peers who are not worried, work in education and government departments. What dismays me most, is that we seem to be in some sort of delusional other dimension, where the media focus on who is the most popular leader, that Kevin cut himself shaving on twitter today,and foot in mouth Tony has offended some pushy female journalist. It is not the 'media economists" I am listening to, the evidence we are not travelling well is out there for anyone who wishes to tear themselves away from the Kevin and Tony show for long enough to take notice.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by Dog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:12 pm

The problem is what's the alternative, Mr turn the boats back and remove the carbon tax is only a two trick pony.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:47 pm

The problem with anecdotes is we're currently in a multi speed economy.

Certain sectors are shrinking and yet others are booming.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#58 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 am

monotonehell wrote:The problem with anecdotes is we're currently in a multi speed economy.

Certain sectors are shrinking and yet others are booming.
Which sectors are booming Mono?

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#59 Post by Dog » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 pm

Claybro, Top 10 Australian growth employment sectors.

These stats obviously don't yet reflect the recent NDIS and the educational reforms which will see rapid employment growth and then there are new industries like Solar installation, wind farming and international education that were virtually non existent 5 to 10 years ago.

claybro

#60 Post by claybro » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Your original point Dog was not to believe what the "expert" economists are telling us about the underlying strengths/weaknesses of our and Chinas economies. In order for this list to be relevant to the health of our economy , you first need to know what percentage of the population are employed in each skill. I wouldn't have thought an 11% increase in organic farming, or a 5% increase in veterinary services is going to stave off the mass unemployment that is now underway. Given that 2 in the top 10 relate to banking/brokering/investment service is an indication of the large number of retirees parking their super, and people getting advise on their redundancy packages. This list is hardly proof of a booming economy. As for the alternative to the current government, you must remember that Rudd gave us a recession free economy at the last GFC by a massive spend. Unfortunately much of it was not on relevant wealth creating infrastructure , and the current government has committed to some huge spending initiatives. NBN/Gonski/Disability scheme, green schemes etc, and given the state of our budget which is rapidly going further into debt, Rudd will not be able to spend our way out of trouble this time around.