The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#511 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am

Eurostar wrote:Gawler Line electrification needs to be fast tracked, Stephen Marshall should be consulting with Bill and Scott to get some federal funding.
Huh? Electrification of the full line to Gawler Central is already under construction.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#512 Post by rev » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am
Federal Labor will seek to extend for another 5 years the stay of Adelaide Zoo's pandas, who are due to return to China this year. The man waiting to be taking out with the trash, ScumMo, thought it was clever to slam the opposition for making the proposal while Queensland recovers from floods even though he is in Tasmania and, more importantly, government is not and should not be a zero sum game. It's able chew gum and walk at the same time.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... labor-plan
Sweet f all jobs, more and more people in SA reliant on food charity...but we get to keep some stupid pandas for another 5 years? Ohhh woooow, what did we do to deserve such amazingly thoughtful political leaders.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#513 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Did I hear Pauline Hanson correctly on the radio this morning that she wants the Federal Government to pay for a coal-fired power station in SA to burn SA coal and run the desalination plant at full power to save the Murray River water for irrigation?

I don't think she was pressed on where in the state it should be or where the new coal mine would be.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#514 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 am
Federal Labor will seek to extend for another 5 years the stay of Adelaide Zoo's pandas, who are due to return to China this year. The man waiting to be taking out with the trash, ScumMo, thought it was clever to slam the opposition for making the proposal while Queensland recovers from floods even though he is in Tasmania and, more importantly, government is not and should not be a zero sum game. It's able chew gum and walk at the same time.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... labor-plan
Sweet f all jobs, more and more people in SA reliant on food charity...but we get to keep some stupid pandas for another 5 years? Ohhh woooow, what did we do to deserve such amazingly thoughtful political leaders.
Better than spending $186 million on political advertising... But again, such 'whataboutism' is a slippery slope when government is capable of providing for more than one thing. You're definitely right, though, there's not enough being said or done about poverty or homelessness by either side. Not to mention the noncommittal mutterings about the woeful rate of Newstart. I'd wager that at least Labor acknowledges inequality; the Coalition's missing in action.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#515 Post by SRW » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 pm
Did I hear Pauline Hanson correctly on the radio this morning that she wants the Federal Government to pay for a coal-fired power station in SA to burn SA coal and run the desalination plant at full power to save the Murray River water for irrigation?

I don't think she was pressed on where in the state it should be or where the new coal mine would be.
:wallbash:

But there's already movement on the desal for river water front: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-14/ ... r/10619960
Keep Adelaide Weird

Aidan

#516 Post by Aidan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm

SBD wrote:Did I hear Pauline Hanson correctly on the radio this morning that she wants the Federal Government to pay for a coal-fired power station in SA to burn SA coal and run the desalination plant at full power to save the Murray River water for irrigation?
Yes you did.
Nor should she have been. The coal is there, somewhere north of Tarcoola. And the least stupid option for a power station to exploit it would be to put the power station next to the mine.

But it's still incredibly stupid. Apart from the environmental effects, it wold be a very expensive way of generating electricity, and that's what she should've been pressed on.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#517 Post by Eurostar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 am
Eurostar wrote:Gawler Line electrification needs to be fast tracked, Stephen Marshall should be consulting with Bill and Scott to get some federal funding.
Huh? Electrification of the full line to Gawler Central is already under construction.
Outer Harbour Line electrification should also be shovel ready for funding

SBD

#518 Post by SBD » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 am

Aidan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:11 pm
SBD wrote:Did I hear Pauline Hanson correctly on the radio this morning that she wants the Federal Government to pay for a coal-fired power station in SA to burn SA coal and run the desalination plant at full power to save the Murray River water for irrigation?
Yes you did.
Nor should she have been. The coal is there, somewhere north of Tarcoola. And the least stupid option for a power station to exploit it would be to put the power station next to the mine.

But it's still incredibly stupid. Apart from the environmental effects, it wold be a very expensive way of generating electricity, and that's what she should've been pressed on.
The reason the Playford and Northern power stations were built near Port Augusta, not Leigh Creek had to do with the need for cooling water drawn from Spencer Gulf. The same logic might be needed for Arckaringa Basin coal.

There are coal deposits much closer to Adelaide than that. I have a vague recollection of hearing there was coal in the excavations for the basement of the Myer Centre. Nobody would have done enough exploration to confirm whether these closer deposits are big enough to support a power station from an underground mine (Balmain colliery used to operate a mine under Sydney harbour).

rev

#519 Post by rev » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:40 am

The circus with the Prime Minister is rolling into town today. Wonder what promises he will bring us.

rev

#520 Post by rev » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:32 pm

So whats all this about ship building in WA...

rev

#521 Post by rev » Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 am

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nat ... 6bd1c5b536

There's a small questionnaire about policies which matches you with a party.
I'm matched 66% with the Center Alliance. Apparently it's the former Nick Xenophon Team party.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#522 Post by Goodsy » Mon May 06, 2019 10:06 am

rev wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:32 am
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nat ... 6bd1c5b536

There's a small questionnaire about policies which matches you with a party.
I'm matched 66% with the Center Alliance. Apparently it's the former Nick Xenophon Team party.
88% aligned with Greens. Not a very good questionnaire when most of those questions are a lot more complex than a simple yes or no answer

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#523 Post by Jaymz » Mon May 06, 2019 12:55 pm

I matched 64% with the Centre Alliance, not a party i've ever considered voting for to be honest :?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#524 Post by SRW » Mon May 06, 2019 1:28 pm

The two most advanced Australian political alignment tools are:

Vote Compass by the ABC/Melbourne Uni/Vox Labs with 1 million participants so far

and,

Smartvote by NineFairfax and the ANU with 250,000 participants so far

See how ya go.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#525 Post by rev » Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 am

Vote Compass
71% OneNation
70% Liberal-Nationals Coalition
39% Labor
15% Greens

Smart Vote
For the Senate...some LOL results..Aldridge..really? :lol: Animal Justice Party? :mrgreen:
1. Mark Aldridge
The Great Australian Party
72.3%
2. Alex Antic
The Liberal Party of Australia
71.9%
3. David Fawcett
71.9%
4. Lucy Gichuhi
71.9%