Television Broadcasting in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: Television Broadcasting in Adelaide

#16 Post by Phantom » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:23 am

What's the odds that this one will spread like the plague across Australia and invade the homes of the people of Adelaide?

http://www.throng.com.au/2013/11/what-i ... ore-242550

So far it seems only available in Sydney, but still... The odds of us getting another non-datacasting channel seems bleak for the near future. :(
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by neoballmon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 am

In all fairness, these infomercials are fun to have on while drinking, and to constantly criticise! Especially the ones with the horrible American acting!
My personal favourite is the Bullet Blender (or something along those lines). Absolute horrible filth!

But 6 channels to criticise, is a bit much..
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:43 pm

Phantom wrote:What's the odds that this one will spread like the plague across Australia and invade the homes of the people of Adelaide?

http://www.throng.com.au/2013/11/what-i ... ore-242550

So far it seems only available in Sydney, but still... The odds of us getting another non-datacasting channel seems bleak for the near future. :(
Already here.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Phantom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:14 pm

neoballmon wrote:In all fairness, these infomercials are fun to have on while drinking, and to constantly criticise! Especially the ones with the horrible American acting!
My personal favourite is the Bullet Blender (or something along those lines). Absolute horrible filth!

But 6 channels to criticise, is a bit much..
I thnk I'll have to give that a try! Sounds awesome! Hahaha. I swear, the intentionally bad acting on shows like Full Frontal are better than the real acting on this channel! Who honestly buys this shit?
crawf wrote:Already here.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

I googled their channel name and besides a thread on the Whirlpool forum complaining about datacasting, there really doesn't seem to be any information on this group. They don't have a website, a Facebook page or any reference on the Channel 7 website. It's all a bit strange.

EDIT - I was curious about this, so I rang up the Channel 7 switchboard and asked about this channel. It was launched at 9am on November 25, and it is available Australia-wide.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Phantom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:32 pm

As of November 27, GOLD has been taken off of the airwaves and been replaced with EXTRA, due to the Nine Network's purchase of both the Adelaide and Perth stations from the WIN Corporation. With this, Adelaide now receives both the EXTRA channel on Channel 94 and its time-shifted version EXTRA2 on Channel 95. This change has also caused Channel Nine to be renamed Nine Adelaide on most television receivers. I guess was always going to happen. Having Channel Nine only properly own three of the five major centres' channels was always going to cause a few hiccups. Of course, now this means another datacasting channel, which can affect the broadcast quality of their main channels of Nine Adelaide, Go! and GEM.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by crawf » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am

So for 24/7 TV shopping we now have...

- TVSN
- SpreeTV
- TV4ME
- Fresh Ideas TV
- EXTRA
- EXTRA2

2 years ago

Zero

:shock:

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Phantom » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:43 am

Yep. Sure is. Not to mention the others that turn to shit after 1am.

I wouldn't give a shit for them, if it meant the revenue were to open up doors for us to have another decent channel, but this isn't the case.

From what I'm aware Crawf, these datacasting channels actually eat into the bandwidth and quality of the original channels. TV Stations now are going back to 576i, in favour of hosting VHS quality channels... Of course, the broadcasting laws have been updated since the onset of digital television, which now allow this to be the norm.

Seems the stations will do anything for a dollar.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by Brucetiki » Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Phantom wrote:
Aidan wrote:Last night, for what I think is the first time ever, the programming on SBS HD and SBS1 differed.
SBS1 showed Coast, while SBS HD showed the soccer (which was also on SBS2).

There has been a proposal for a Christian TV channel, but were it to proceed (which now looks unlikely) it would just be a rebroadcast from a satellite channel, with no local content.
Really? I noticed the show on SBS Two had the SBS One logo at the bottom of the screen, which seemed a bit odd. :P

Stuff like this Christian TV channel just annoys me. Don't we have enough on at 4am anyway? It would probably become another datacasting channel when its funds inevitable dry up. :P
Australian Christian Channel has been on Foxtel for about 11 years. I would suspect that if any Christian channel ends up on FTA, it would be this one (similar to how TVSN went from Foxtel to FTA).

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by Aidan » Sun May 18, 2014 11:21 pm

My TV has stopped picking up channel 44. Has anyone else had the same problem?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by slenderman » Sun May 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Aidan wrote:My TV has stopped picking up channel 44. Has anyone else had the same problem?
You mean 44 Adelaide? My TVs stopped picking them up ages ago (in fact, one of them deleted the channel after a scan). Not that I really care, as it never showed anything particularly good. But at least 44 Adelaide wasn't a stupid infomercial channel. How many of them do we have now? I count a total of 6 on my telly.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Phantom » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:38 am

I'm a little late to update this (or even to notice this), but Fresh Ideas TV has been taken off the air as of early December and will be refreshed at some point in the new year.

Fun Fact - 2014 was the first year since 2008 not to have witnessed the birth of a new free-to-air TV channel in Adelaide.

Rumour Mill - TVN could possibly find itself on free-to-air television as early as 2015. This idea has been in the pipeline for a while, however. What are your thoughts? Has anyone got wind of any bit of news about this? It actually kinda interests me, as I'm sure that TVN would want to replicate the quality of their channel if the Seven Network were to facilitate it, which could possibly affect the quality of several of Seven's secondary channels.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#27 Post by Nathan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:26 pm

I do find the "programs have been discontinued until further notice" message in the EPG mildly amusing. I'm certainly not sad to see an infomercial channel fail.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by Phantom » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Nathan wrote:I'm certainly not sad to see an infomercial channel fail.
But, where will we get our daily dosage of Billy Mays, pestering us to purchase Steak Knives now? :(

I know I mentioned this beforehand, but I'd really love to know more about ACE TV. How on Earth some of their programs were able to be deemed quality enough for television is beyond me... They must've had so many generous people donating a ton of time and hard work to keep it up and running for so long. Assuming that C-31/44 Adelaide is lightyears ahead of ACE TV (and still of poor quality of both content and reception), it makes me question how ACE TV was even watchable back in the 90's!

I really wish a company were granted a fourth major television broadcasting license. Not that it would add to the quality, but that it may cause enough competition to cause the major three to up their game.

I also heard another rumour a while ago that the ABC and SBS were directly involved in a bidding war over soccer, despite both being financed from virtually the same place. If so, that's really poor form...

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by dsriggs » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 pm

Phantom wrote: I also heard another rumour a while ago that the ABC and SBS were directly involved in a bidding war over soccer, despite both being financed from virtually the same place. If so, that's really poor form...
That's no rumor. SBS bid for the FTA rights to the Asian Cup & the ABC outbid them. Complete nonsense from the ABC, especially with an unfriendly Federal government in charge.

liammcgee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by liammcgee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:03 pm

TV in Adelaide is excellent! No need to further elaborate!!! It is just fantastic.
Web designer @ Method Made Web & Graphic Design Agency in Adelaide, South Australia. - http://www.methodmade.com.au