How to drive to Sydney?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

How to drive to Sydney?

#1 Post by Edgar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:39 am

Hi

I have not driven all that far to the east before, have anyone here ever driven to Sydney or back to Adelaide?

How far is it? How long is it? And which route to take? Is there any other routes that can bypass VIC and cut through all the way to NSW and is a safe one?

Please let me know, thank you.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Al » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 pm

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:04 pm

I would probably be cheaper to fly to Sydney these days, however if you really want to drive then I suggest you factor in that Sydney is around 1500km away, so therefore you will need at least 2 days to get there.

When my family went to Sydney a few years ago, we took the South Eastern freeway until we reached an intersection near Tailem Bend, where we took the Ouyen Highway. Unfortunately you have to enter Victoria before you enter NSW. When you reach Ouyen in Victoria, keep driving straight (avoid the Calder and Sunraysia Highways). You will eventually reach a town called Piangil, whereby you will cross the Murray River and enter to the town of Tooleybuc which is in NSW. continue up this road until you reach the Sturt Highway where you should turn right towards Hay. Keep driving on this road. I advise you to sleep in Wagga Wagga. From Wagga Wagga keep driving on the Sturt Highway until you reach the Hume Freeway, where you should turn left. This road will lead you to Syndey. This is the quickest route.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Edgar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:11 pm

planning to get a car from there. Planning to drive back instead, otherwise, it would be return trip air tickets + transportation of car back to Adelaide.

It does sound like a very long journey! I hate driving more than a day, it sucks hard.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Edgar » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:14 pm

that's the coolest online navigation program I have seen!

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by aceman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Will wrote:I would probably be cheaper to fly to Sydney these days, however if you really want to drive then I suggest you factor in that Sydney is around 1500km away, so therefore you will need at least 2 days to get there.

When my family went to Sydney a few years ago, we took the South Eastern freeway until we reached an intersection near Tailem Bend, where we took the Ouyen Highway. Unfortunately you have to enter Victoria before you enter NSW. When you reach Ouyen in Victoria, keep driving straight (avoid the Calder and Sunraysia Highways). You will eventually reach a town called Piangil, whereby you will cross the Murray River and enter to the town of Tooleybuc which is in NSW. continue up this road until you reach the Sturt Highway where you should turn right towards Hay. Keep driving on this road. I advise you to sleep in Wagga Wagga. From Wagga Wagga keep driving on the Sturt Highway until you reach the Hume Freeway, where you should turn left. This road will lead you to Syndey. This is the quickest route.
I lived in Sydney for nearly 3 years and drove to and from Adelaide around 12 times. The route above is good but after leaving Hay you can go further north to West Wyalong, Grenfell, Cowra, Bathurst, Lithgow. You then have the option of continuing through to Katoomba then onto the M4 motorway to the city or go the back way through to Richmond/Windsor. I used to go the back way to Richmond/Windsor and the distance was 1395km. I would leave at 5am and arrive in Adelaide at round 8pm, hope this helps!