official complaining about the weather thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

official complaining about the weather thread

#1 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:09 pm

So glad I don't have to be outside today... Try to stay cool people!

Feel for people without air con and the poor animals out there :(
Heat stress, lightning and gusty wind threat as temperature in Adelaide hits 45C
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6801021564

LIGHTNING is sparking several fires across the state as Adelaide's hospitals treat 20 people with heat-related illnesses and the mercury hits 45C.

The mercury reached 45.1C in Adelaide just after 1.55pm, the city's fourth hottest day on record, as the state swelters through the second day of a forecast five-day heatwave.

Lightning is causing havoc for Country Fire Service volunteers, sparking several fires across the state, the most serious at Point Boston on Lower Eyre Peninsula.

The fire, burning near Sullivan Drive, started about 12.40pm and is burning east in scrub towards the Point Boston housing development.

About 50 CFS volunteers are battling the blaze, which has burned about 12ha of scrub, with the help of four water bombing aircraft.

Firefighters are managing to hold the fire front at a road and crews are preparing for asset protection at the housing development.

People in the area are advised to check and follow their bushfire survival plan and prepare for a bushfire. If your plan is to leave or you are not prepared, leave now, the CFS advises.

A watch and act message is also current for a grass fire at Woolshed Flat, near Rhynie, in the Mid North.

The uncontrolled grass fire started at 1.50pm near Rhynie-Salter Springs Rd and is burning south towards Macaw Creek.

Lightning is also believed to have sparked fires burning around the Barossa Valley region, including near Flaxman Valley Rd at Flaxman Valley.

In Adelaide, one baby has received hospital treatment, one person suffered sunburn and another went to hospital after having an air conditioner too high, SA Health chief public health officer, Dr Stephen Christley, said.

They were three of the 20 people to be treated for heat-related illnesses in Adelaide hospital emergency departments in the 24 hours to 8am today.

Dr Christley did not yet have heat-related admission numbers for country hospitals and he would not comment on individual cases.

He said the hospital treatments were mostly for "the elderly and confused'' as the temperature soared to 42C yesterday and reached 33C by eight this morning.

The overnight minimum settled at a balmy 25.5C at 5.32am and reached 42C by about 11am. The mercury has since climbed to 44.1C and shows no signs of relenting.

ESSENTIAL HEATWAVE INFORMATION - CLICK HERE

The worst seems yet to come with the Bureau of Meterology revising the maximum temperature for today and tomorrow to 44C and predicting 45C on Thursday, before a cool trough moves in to the state's southern areas on Friday.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Fourth hottest day on record - 45.1 degrees!

#2 Post by rev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Incredible.
Yesterday was meant to be 40, it cracked 42 nearly 43, today was meant to be 41, then 42, and now we've passed 45.
What's the rest of the week going to bring?

I've been looking at the CFS website..the number of incidents has more then double in about 2 hours.
There's 31 incidents, 3 of them are bushfire advice messages and 2 are watch & act messages.

I just looked out side and there's lightning and thunder over the Hills.
Let's hope no major fires break out.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 pm

My bet's on the hottest day on record either tomorrow or Thursday.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev

#4 Post by rev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Well if it keeps up going a few degrees over what they say it's going to be you're probably on the money

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Phantom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:58 pm

rev wrote:Incredible.
Yesterday was meant to be 40, it cracked 42 nearly 43, today was meant to be 41, then 42, and now we've passed 45.
It's the f**king rapture, Rev. Hahaha.

Really though, at that rate of miscalculation, tomorrow should be about 49C, give or take. :P

Either way, as Shuz said, that record of 46.2C or whatever it is looks ready to get literally fried.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

rev

#6 Post by rev » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:14 am

Phantom wrote:
rev wrote:Incredible.
It's the f**king rapture, Rev. Hahaha.
Repent sinners!! Before it's too late.

[Shuz]

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am

Well, the current temperature is only 36.1c right now @ 11:04am (BOM). There's still quite a significant bit of cloud cover about and a nice wind about. I can't see how it'll crack 45c anytime today? I reckon it'll just nudge 40c by the looks of things.

If that's the case - lesson to be learnt this week. Don't rely on BOM. Even they can't get the next day forecast right.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:29 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Well, the current temperature is only 36.1c right now @ 11:04am (BOM). There's still quite a significant bit of cloud cover about and a nice wind about. I can't see how it'll crack 45c anytime today? I reckon it'll just nudge 40c by the looks of things.

If that's the case - lesson to be learnt this week. Don't rely on BOM. Even they can't get the next day forecast right.
It's now 1:30, with the temperature at 42.4°, and set to continue creeping up to 45° by about 4pm. So the lesson for the week is that maybe the BOM do get it right some times.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:36 pm

The lessons to learn today are don't count your chickens before they hatch and only press submit once (duplicate messages removed).
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Phantom » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:09 pm

Also, tomorrow is now also set for 45/46, instead of the relatively cold 42 it was meant to be earlier this week.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Definitely doesn't look like we will hit 45 degrees today. The temperature maxed at 43.7ºc degrees about two hours ago, and now it's 41.7ºc in the city.

Still disgusting out there.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Vee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 pm

BOM still predicting 46° for Adelaide tomorrow - potential to beat that record max temperature?!?
Spare a thought for Renmark tomorrow, a scorching 48° max on the cards!

I'm really thankful that the TDU was not scheduled for this week. At least the riders can choose when and where they do their training runs during this heat wave.

The Australian Open has proved very challenging for players and spectators this week. 44° predicted for Melbourne tomorrow. Will matches go ahead in this heat?

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Phantom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 am

Vee wrote:The Australian Open has proved very challenging for players and spectators this week. 44° predicted for Melbourne tomorrow. Will matches go ahead in this heat?
I'm pretty sure they're stuck to a timeframe of allotted days for the Open to run for, so running over isn't ideal and I can only image would be strongly discouraged.

Vee, do you remember that epically ridiculous Isner–Mahut match at Wimbledon in 2010? Despite having started on the 22nd and finished on the 24th, Isner had to play on the 25th and was not surprisingly crushed in straight sets. He was scheduled to play a doubles game later on, also on the 25th, but withdrew due to blistered feet.

My point is, even if it means driving the players to the absolute physical limit, they really do seem to avoid rest days!

As for the TDU, you're completely right! Imagine the pain caused by sliding off of a bike at 50kph and grinding your flesh along 60'C bitumen? Urgh. Screw that!

rev

#14 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:04 am

I think there's a good chance we could break the record today.
It's only just dropped below 32, to 31.9. They are forecasting 46 and sunny.
Yesterday was cloudy most of the day which kept temperatures down. Wont be cloudy today, so we are in for a scorcher.
Pity for us fools who have to work in it and cant enjoy a few cold ones :cheers:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:30 am

Adelaide forecast to be the world's hottest city today!
UN report says temperatures in Adelaide will make it world's hottest city on Thursday
by: Miles Kemp From: The Advertiser

ADELAIDE will be the hottest city in the world today, according to a global forecast by the United Nations.

Gathering official predictions from around the globe, the UN's World Meteorological Organisation estimated Adelaide's 46C would not be topped in any major population centre.

continues...
Perhaps we might also claim Australia's capital city temperature record, currently held by Melbourne at 46.4 degrees (set in Feb 2009). :!:
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.