official complaining about the weather thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Fourth hottest day on record - 45.1 degrees!

#16 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 am

Unless the temp dramatically rises in the next couple of hours I don't think we will break the record. The other day when it hit 45.1 it was well above 40 for quite some time by lunch time. It's currently just under 41.
And it's windy as well now..bad news for our firries.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Nearly 42 degrees. Already 43 in the northern suburbs.

I think we could still break the record today, the max temperature is still a couple of hours away according to BOM.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:51 pm

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/sa/adelai ... d-forecast

Weatherzone predicts 45c at 3pm... I reckon we will break the record it today, just.

It is quite relentless out there. Have been down the Mall everyday about 12-1ish this week, just to get a feel of the conditions. It ain't pretty.

Looking forward to opening the windows in the house at 9pm tomorrow night!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Just gone past 3, and it's only 43.8°c. So doesn't look like that record will be broken afterall.

It is however currently 45° in the northern suburbs

rev

#20 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:43 pm

It's dropping off now slowly. No records broken.
Tomorrows forecast is up, now 42. Late change.

And there's an emergency warning for an out of control fire about 20km's north of Port Pirie..
BUSHFIRE EMERGENCY WARNING

Fire Name: BANGOR

Time Message Issued: 15:15
Date Message Issued: 16/01/2014

Note 1: The Standard Emergency Warning Signal (SEWS) is to be played for 5 seconds prior to this Emergency Warning being read on air.

Note 2: The following message is to be read on air verbatim immediately and then at 15-minute intervals thereafter or until the message expires or is superseded by another message related to this fire.

<Message Starts>

EMERGENCY WARNING FOR A BUSHFIRE BURNING UNDER SEVERE WEATHER CONDITIONS

CFS advises that a serious bushfire is burning out of control at BANGOR NEAR PORT GERMEIN GORGE near PORT GERMEIN GORGE ROAD, TELOWIE ROAD, TELOWIE SPRING.

The BANGOR fire is travelling in a SOUTH SOUTH WESTERLY direction towards TELOWIE ROAD. There is a risk to lives and homes.

The uncontrolled fire is burning in Scrub.

Check and follow your bushfire survival plan. Take shelter when the fire arrives and protect yourself from the fires heat.

Only leave now if the path is clear to a safe place.

You should not enter this area as the roads may not be safe.

Well prepared and actively defended homes can offer safety.

Stay tuned to this radio station on a battery-powered radio for updates.

For information about bushfires, check the CFS website www.cfs.sa.gov.au or call the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1300 362 361.

Repeating, CFS advises that a serious bushfire is burning out of control at BANGOR NEAR PORT GERMEIN GORGE near PORT GERMEIN GORGE ROAD, TELOWIE ROAD, TELOWIE SPRING.

<Message Ends>

This message must not be broadcast after: 16 Jan 2014 17:15

Vee
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Vee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:28 pm

Still 43.1° at 6.15PM.
I used to think temperatures above 36.0° were really hot but the forties are something else!!!

Interesting to see that Melbourne finally called a temporary (extreme heat) halt to the tennis in the afternoon today.
Play continued on the indoor courts with the roof shut and resumed on the outdoor courts at 6PM - but the temperature was still 41.0°. Some media reported that a few international journalists are now questioning the timing of the tournament (and the contingencies in place).

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Phantom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:35 pm

Vee wrote:Interesting to see that Melbourne finally called a temporary (extreme heat) halt to the tennis in the afternoon today.
Play continued on the indoor courts with the roof shut and resumed on the outdoor courts at 6PM - but the temperature was still 41.0°. Some media reported that a few international journalists are now questioning the timing of the tournament (and the contingencies in place).
I admit it! I was wrong!

Apparently a Canadian player collapsed yesterday? I only found out about that one today, aswell.

Crazy stuff!
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

rev

#23 Post by rev » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm

I've been working in this heat all week long, I haven't collapsed.
My secret? Stop worrying about the weather and get on with it. Before you know it, it's lunch time, then time to piss off home and have a few cold ones.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:46 am

Experts are warning people may die from this heatwave, with already 163 people have being admitted to hospitals due to heat-related conditions.
rev wrote:My secret? Stop worrying about the weather and get on with it. Before you know it, it's lunch time, then time to piss off home and have a few cold ones.
That's because you're used to the heat. Many people over for the Australian Open and Tour Down Under would probably not be used to temperatures over 30 degrees, let alone 40!. Also these extreme temperatures can put the elderly and vulnerable at major risk, especially if they don't have adequate cooling in their homes.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 am

Australia now among heatwave heavyweights
Adelaide and Melbourne both sweltered through another day of extreme heat on Thursday. It broke records, serving as a sobering reminder of the effects of a changing climate, say experts.

It’s a formidable thing to achieve, and a title the locals would prefer another city to claim, but late on Thursday afternoon Adelaide was the hottest city on the planet, trumping the rest of the world’s hot-weather heavyweights.

At 2.27pm, the northern suburb of Edinburgh hit 45.4 degrees, while central Adelaide sweltered at 44.2 degrees.

It easily blitzed its rival Australian capitals, with Melbourne the only close contender at a maximum of 43.9 degrees. Canberra came in at 40.1 degrees, trailed by Darwin and Brisbane jointly at a top of 31 degrees.
World leaders
This heatwave far outstrips the hottest temperatures ever recorded in several countries. Canada has never been hotter than 45 degrees, and the UK has never topped 38.5 degrees. The current blast of hot weather also puts Australia in some impressive company.

Spain’s highest recorded temperature is 47.2 degrees, Russia’s is 45.4 degrees and Romania has recorded 44.5 degrees....
The New Daily
http://thenewdaily.com.au/weather/2014/ ... heatwaves/

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by mshagg » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:18 am

crawf wrote:Experts are warning people may die from this heatwave, with already 163 people have being admitted to hospitals due to heat-related conditions.
As sad as it is, people die in every heatwave. The number of people that died from the 2009 heatwave was three times as many that perished in the black saturday fires that followed it.

rev

#27 Post by rev » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 am

More then 173 people died from the heatwave before the black saturday fires which killed 173 people?
During the previous heatwave in Adelaide about two dozen died.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by spiller » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Having experienced the mid west united states polar vortex last week with -25 celcius, followed by "the hottest day on earth" this week, I'm thinking about having one of those "I survived" t-shirts made. Although I preferred the -25, I think we all love to get caught up on numbers when really, anything over 40 is "hot" and anything below -10 is "cold". The human body probably wouldnt know the difference between the rest.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:33 pm

The cool change has finally hit, and it's brought a pretty big storm over Adelaide at the moment.

So much lightning... It's awesome

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Phantom » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:05 am

crawf wrote:The cool change has finally hit, and it's brought a pretty big storm over Adelaide at the moment.

So much lightning... It's awesome
Had it strike the next street over. Freaked the shit out of me and set off a car alarm in the process! :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"