The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Krispy Kreme opens on Port Road

#91 Post by rhino » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:22 pm

ghs wrote:Anyone remember Johnny Rockets on Rundle Street back in 1995 / 1996 ?
I remember Johnny Rockets. I never ate there, but I was very impressed with the look of the place - 1950s Americana-cum-Australiana if I'm thinking of the right place. I'm surprised it was a stand-alone store.
cheers,
Rhino

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:23 pm

I want Sizzler back!

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by spiller » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Mono, totally get your point as to why Starbucks didnt work here, and completely agree with you. Their coffee really is pretty terrible and Americans are more pre-ocupied about what goes with the coffee (e.g. syrups, spices and other general wank) to make it a complete "drink" rather than what the coffee actually tastes like. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I vaguely remember Johnny Rockets. They still have them all over the US. Even in our current american food craze, I dont think JR would stand up too well with their traditional 1950s diner theme. Its all about hipster trends with american street style food today. Right down to no table reservations and a piss poor facebook pages with not much info about the establishments :wallbash:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 pm

They should put one in the airport plaza. Just needs a building similar to the Subway one (but about 4 times as big).

Plenty of space around it for outdoor seating, and any queues!

Perfect place for people to grab their donuts on traveling to or returning from interstate.

Nathan

#95 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:16 pm

pushbutton wrote:They should put one in the airport plaza. Just needs a building similar to the Subway one (but about 4 times as big).

Plenty of space around it for outdoor seating, and any queues!

Perfect place for people to grab their donuts on traveling to or returning from interstate.
There's already a pretty decent (IOW better than Krispy Kreme) donut shop inside the terminal.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:56 pm

There is. That's another reason to have a KK outside it.

ghs

#97 Post by ghs » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:14 pm

KK could make so much money by having a store on Rundle Street. Surely that would be the
perfect location for them.

From what I can remember at Johnny Rockets sometimes the staff members would all
sing and dance around together. It was like entertainment while you were eating. Can anyone
else recall that ?

Patrick_27

#98 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:33 pm

ghs, I think you forget that Rundle Street is targeted at people who want to spend money for quality. Krispy Kreme's are shit doughnuts, if opening a store on Rundle Street is such a great idea, let's open on in Burnside Village as well!

Adelaide will be saturated with Krispy Kreme shopfronts no doubt, Adelaide will without doubt have the most Krispy Kreme stores in Australia for a period of time because there are only 20 stores between the East coast capitals. But for how long? Peregrine rolled out Subways in most of the OTR's and they've since scaled back this roll out because the demand has gone, once they start throwing doughnuts into all of their OTR outlets, I'll give it a year before the brand declines and eventually dies much like it has in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

Aidan

#99 Post by Aidan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:04 pm

pushbutton wrote:I want Sizzler back!
I really liked Sizzler and still miss it, but having been to the one in Toowong last year I was dismayed to see just how far downhill Sizzler's gone. Instead of franchising like they used to, the Sizzler company own all the restaurants themselves and run them badly. The food's not so good any more and their drinks selection absolutely pathetic — they don't even have orange juice!

I suggest you go to Charlie's instead — it's much better quality.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Sizzler is almost unique in that it offers a combination of a la carte and buffet, and you can have both.

I have found the quality pretty good every time I've been in the last few years in Queensland. Granted it's not the absolute best quality food I've ever had, but it's very decent, and just as good as Sizzler ever was in my experience.

And look how they plan to refurbish all their restaurants!
sizzler.jpg
sizzler.jpg (128.36 KiB) Viewed 4857 times

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#101 Post by slenderman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 pm

Aidan wrote:
I really liked Sizzler and still miss it, but having been to the one in Toowong last year I was dismayed to see just how far downhill Sizzler's gone. Instead of franchising like they used to, the Sizzler company own all the restaurants themselves and run them badly. The food's not so good any more and their drinks selection absolutely pathetic — they don't even have orange juice!

When exactly did Sizzler close in SA? Was there one on Greenhill Road at some stage, possibly where the KFC is now? I'm still pretty young, but I think I remember another KFC existing on Greenhill road just past Fullarton Road heading towards the hills and I think there was a Pizza Hut next to it as well. That Pizza Hut closed and some other sit-in restaurant place opened there, which was demolished and replaced with Dr PC, I think. Was that a Sizzler or some other thing? Or have I got this all horribly wrong? Help me out here.

ghs

#102 Post by ghs » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:08 pm

From memory I think sizzler closed around 98 or 99.

There was definitely a sizzler on greenhill road, opposite the parklands. There was one more
near the morphetville racecourse and also another on main north road I think.

There would have been a couple of other stores as well.

I tend to think that they went out of business because it's hard for them to compete
with pubs that can sell subsidised meals because they make money from pokies. All you can
eat doesn't seem to work either, Pizza Hut was all you can eat and they also closed down their
restaurants.

Patrick_27

#103 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:18 pm

slenderman wrote:
Aidan wrote:

When exactly did Sizzler close in SA? Was there one on Greenhill Road at some stage, possibly where the KFC is now? I'm still pretty young, but I think I remember another KFC existing on Greenhill road just past Fullarton Road heading towards the hills and I think there was a Pizza Hut next to it as well. That Pizza Hut closed and some other sit-in restaurant place opened there, which was demolished and replaced with Dr PC, I think. Was that a Sizzler or some other thing? Or have I got this all horribly wrong? Help me out here.
This is getting well off topic.

But to answer your questions: Sizzler's was where KFC now is on Greenhill Road, however before KFC purchased the site, I seem to recall there being another restaurant there between Sizler's and the demolition of the building.

As for the other, where Dr. PC is now there was a Pizza Hut diner which I have fond memories of their bottomless drinks, and their desert area with soft serve ice cream, after that closed (which I must admit came as quite a shock because it always seemed to be busy) I recall a Mexican Restaurant setting up shop for a couple of years before that failed and the building was demolished. As for the old KFC next door, that closed I seem to think it closed before they had even started construction of the replacement one up the road, but it was quite fun! It's drive through service had the little speaker box and you paid and collected your meals through a little elevator shoot, however this was before the days of mass credit card roll-out amongst the population.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#104 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:30 pm

I have fond childhood memories of going to Sizzler in the 90s, same with Pizza Hut.

Though if you want real decent buffet meals, then head to the Walkers Arm Hotel on North East Road. It has won multiple awards and has a great variety of foods which are of decent quality. It's not exactly affordable (especially on weekends) though it's definitely worth a visit!

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#105 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 am

There's still a Pizza Hut restaurant at Marion, all you can eat at lunch is very good value.