The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Krispy Kreme opens on Port Road

#106 Post by rhino » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:53 am

I remember having a drink or two at the old Parkside Hotel, before it was sold and turned into Sizzler .... yeah, I must be old ....
cheers,
Rhino

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#107 Post by neoballmon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 am

There was a Sizzler in Morphett Vale, on the corner of Main South and Wheatsheaf Roads. After Sizzler closed, 4 or 5 other brands operated the restaurant, none lasting more than a year as I recall, except Tuckerland.

The building has been sitting unused now for close to a decade.. Still for lease I believe.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Waewick

#108 Post by Waewick » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:54 pm

I wonder if you added on the health costs to food some people deem affordable...how affordable it would actually be

duke
High Rise Poster!

#109 Post by duke » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Waewick wrote:I wonder if you added on the health costs to food some people deem affordable...how affordable it would actually be
Not quite that easy. People go oh fast food, it's cheap, it must be unhealthy. Then go spend $50 for a meal at a fancy restaurant that is possibly more unhealthy.

Check this out, especially the part about the perceived healthiness of food depending on where it's from, or rather where they think it's from.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#110 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 pm

ghs wrote:From memory I think sizzler closed around 98 or 99.

There was definitely a sizzler on greenhill road, opposite the parklands. There was one more
near the morphetville racecourse and also another on main north road I think.

There would have been a couple of other stores as well.

I tend to think that they went out of business because it's hard for them to compete
with pubs that can sell subsidised meals because they make money from pokies. All you can
eat doesn't seem to work either, Pizza Hut was all you can eat and they also closed down their
restaurants.
Sizzler closed in South Australia in 1996. For a very brief period, they were all taken over by a new restaurant called Bells, but they went broke after about 4 weeks (apparently people would walk in, look at the prices, and walk straight back out). A few ex-Sizzlers just sat in ruins for years, the former Salisbury store the classic example, which was only demolished and replaced by a mental health clinic in 2012.

I think there was a bit of an all-you-can-eat craze in the 1990's - be it Sizzler, Pizza Hut, and even some pubs (like Charlies) went all you can eat. Most of the all you can eat pubs slowly reverted back to a-la-carte menus over time, though there's still a couple around (like Charlies at Brighton - the one at Salisbury burnt down and is now a steak bistro, the Walkers Arms, and the Watermark), Pizza Hut focused on take-away/delivery, but Sizzler didn't have a fall back, and subsequently got bought out.

Back on topic. Went back to Krispy Kreme's today for the first time since opening night. The queue is now down to a reasonable level, but the issue now is the service is so slow - the line up today was about 10 minutes to get served, 5 minutes to get the doughnuts, and another 5 minutes to get a drink. I noticed on the drive-through window that the staff were also failing all the drive-through KPI's (just seemed to be flashing red for everything).

Aidan

Krispy Kreme opens on Port Road

#111 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 pm

When Sizzler became Bells it reminded me of Demolition Man, where all the best restaurants had become Taco Bells!
Did all the Sizzlers here become Bells? I thought it was just the Bedford Park one that subsequently became the Lone Star Steakhouse then sat empty for a long time (is it still empty?)

Such a pity they didn't retain any at all.

Back on topic, Krispy Kreme are under fire for using environmentally destructive Sumatran palm oil.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

ChillyPhilly

#112 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:05 am

Aidan wrote:When Sizzler became Bells it reminded me of Demolition Man, where all the best restaurants had become Taco Bells!
Did all the Sizzlers here become Bells? I thought it was just the Bedford Park one that subsequently became the Lone Star Steakhouse then sat empty for a long time (is it still empty?)

Back on topic, Krispy Kreme are under fire for using environmentally destructive Sumatran palm oil.
I was going to mention Lone Star. Memories.

I digress. Did hear about it. More reason for me to not buy KK's.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick

#113 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:52 am

duke wrote:
Waewick wrote:I wonder if you added on the health costs to food some people deem affordable...how affordable it would actually be
Not quite that easy. People go oh fast food, it's cheap, it must be unhealthy. Then go spend $50 for a meal at a fancy restaurant that is possibly more unhealthy.

Check this out, especially the part about the perceived healthiness of food depending on where it's from, or rather where they think it's from.

I never said more expensive is more healthy; but the disincentive is already there isn't it.

The issue is that the amount of calories in a cheap fast food joint is enough for a whole day rather than 1 meal.

So being cheap people are more likely to endulge and there is no disincentive , as I said the expensive meal already has that built in.

notmichaeljfox
High Rise Poster!

#114 Post by notmichaeljfox » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:08 am

Aidan wrote:When Sizzler became Bells it reminded me of Demolition Man, where all the best restaurants had become Taco Bells!

Mitsubishi used the building for a number of years as offices. I'm not sure if it is in use now, but is earmarked for housing when the Darlington interchange is built.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#115 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:45 pm

The Sturt Police Station is in Bedford Park, maybe there going to open one there :D :banana: :secret:
Police do like doughnuts hehe

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#116 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:05 am

There's now a Krispy Kreme pop up shop at the OTR outside the Adelaide Show ground.

No queue!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#117 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Surprised they didn't just open up a stall inside the Showgrounds.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#118 Post by wilkiebarkid » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Surprised they didn't just open up a stall inside the Showgrounds.
Villi wouldn't allow it.

oscar13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#119 Post by oscar13 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:01 pm

ghs wrote:I tend to think that they went out of business because it's hard for them to compete
with pubs that can sell subsidised meals because they make money from pokies. All you can
eat doesn't seem to work either, Pizza Hut was all you can eat and they also closed down their
restaurants.
Sizzler still exists in Perth. But I haven't been to one here yet.
No pokies in Perth too...

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#120 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Actually, Sizzler is an international company and has many restaurants in various countries. That includes quite a few in Australia. Just not in SA anymore. I last ate at Sizzler last week, in the Gold Coast (which does have pokies).

Pizza Hut is also an international company, with hundreds of dine-in restaurants all over the world. That includes a few in Australia, and one in SA (Marion).

The above info is readily available on these companies websites.