The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

Re: The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

#166 Post by Adeguy72 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:28 pm

The building behind is a Midas car care centre.
The site is a former Mobil Quik site that was taken over by OTR last year - is just being remodelled.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Krispy Kreme opens on Port Road

#167 Post by rev » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Norman wrote:Because his extended family owns Gourmet Glaze. They have done well with introducing their food kart, but they should have expanded more aggressively years ago.
That might be his primary reason for being anti-Peregrine, but there are many reasons for everyone else to be against them as well.
But most of you are too blinded by this "South Australian" crap to actually realize what these people are doing, and what they have done. Because it's an SA business, most of you will continue to support them even if in the end you will be worse off. And you will be worse off. You already are worse off because of OTR/Peregrine, but you still don't see it.

I'd rather push my car from Gawler to Victor Harbor then stop and fill up at an OTR monopoly outlet.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#168 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 am

rev wrote:
Norman wrote:Because his extended family owns Gourmet Glaze. They have done well with introducing their food kart, but they should have expanded more aggressively years ago.
That might be his primary reason for being anti-Peregrine, but there are many reasons for everyone else to be against them as well.
But most of you are too blinded by this "South Australian" crap to actually realize what these people are doing, and what they have done. Because it's an SA business, most of you will continue to support them even if in the end you will be worse off. And you will be worse off. You already are worse off because of OTR/Peregrine, but you still don't see it.

I'd rather push my car from Gawler to Victor Harbor then stop and fill up at an OTR monopoly outlet.
On a completely unrelated note; Murdoch is from Adelaide.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#169 Post by Nathan » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:32 am

monotonehell wrote:On a completely unrelated note; Murdoch is from Adelaide.
Actually, he was born in Melbourne. The News Corp empire grew from Adelaide though (founded here in 1923).

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#170 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:35 am

Nathan wrote:
Actually, he was born in Melbourne. The News Corp empire grew from Adelaide though (founded here in 1923).
You mean we can disown them to Melbs? Oh joyous day!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev

#171 Post by rev » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Nathan wrote:
Doesn't matter where he was born, his empire of evil was started here.

claybro

#172 Post by claybro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Have I missed something here, or is this a peculiarly SA thing. Just a quick read thru the last page of this thread completely disses 2 SA success stories? One that went on to become a global giant. Any other successful SA businesses we are going to sink the boots into here?

bits
Legendary Member!

#173 Post by bits » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I think we should hate on Bickfords to keep with the theme anything successful from Adelaide must be bad.

I am sure the same people hate the desal plant, wind power and think the Collins class subs were junk.

rev

#174 Post by rev » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:22 pm

Yeh, it's that simple..because it's South Australian..we hate it. Right.

Peregreine are a predatory business.
They do not give a shit about South Australia or South Australian's.

There's hundreds and thousands of former employees of Peregrine who can tell you first hand what a shit business they are to work for and how dodgy they are(and that's from a business perspective..never mind other aspects of that family).

Sorry I'm not going to blindly support something because it's South Australia or Australian.
You can, go right ahead and throw your money at them. When there are virtually no independent service stations, or smaller convenience stores/small supermarkets, because Peregrine have purposely gone out of their way to plonk a generic OTR next door, across the road, or within a few minutes away, or in some cases multiple OTR's within the same general location, then come back here and tell us how much better your life is when you are paying through your assholes due to the lack of competition out there. They aren't just trying to take down those types of businesses, but others like fast food franchise owners.

Some of you can preach all you like how you are progressive and aren't the typical whinging, nay sayer South Australians. But those aspects are only part of the problem with South Australia. Another aspect is this blind support for shit things just because they are South Australian.

It's ironic how you support Peregrine/OTR, because they are South Australian...but you don't support other local South Australian businesses, amongst them many battlers and little guys, who've been put out of business by Peregrine.
Even more hilarious is how most of you probably ran to Krispy Kreme when it opened up to eat their bland mass produced garbage, but probably have only ever gone to Gourmet Glaze less then times then there are fingers on one hand.
The irony.

Patrick_27

#175 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:25 pm

rev wrote:Yeh, it's that simple..because it's South Australian..we hate it. Right.

Peregreine are a predatory business.
They do not give a shit about South Australia or South Australian's.

There's hundreds and thousands of former employees of Peregrine who can tell you first hand what a shit business they are to work for and how dodgy they are(and that's from a business perspective..never mind other aspects of that family).

Sorry I'm not going to blindly support something because it's South Australia or Australian.
You can, go right ahead and throw your money at them. When there are virtually no independent service stations, or smaller convenience stores/small supermarkets, because Peregrine have purposely gone out of their way to plonk a generic OTR next door, across the road, or within a few minutes away, or in some cases multiple OTR's within the same general location, then come back here and tell us how much better your life is when you are paying through your assholes due to the lack of competition out there. They aren't just trying to take down those types of businesses, but others like fast food franchise owners.

Some of you can preach all you like how you are progressive and aren't the typical whinging, nay sayer South Australians. But those aspects are only part of the problem with South Australia. Another aspect is this blind support for shit things just because they are South Australian.

It's ironic how you support Peregrine/OTR, because they are South Australian...but you don't support other local South Australian businesses, amongst them many battlers and little guys, who've been put out of business by Peregrine.
Even more hilarious is how most of you probably ran to Krispy Kreme when it opened up to eat their bland mass produced garbage, but probably have only ever gone to Gourmet Glaze less then times then there are fingers on one hand.
The irony.
Aaaaaaaamen! Right on the mark, Rev. :cheers:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#176 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:38 pm

Well said rev

People are so quick to judge and criticise Woolworths and Coles, though it's OTR who now have the monopoly in the Adelaide market and are squeezing out independent small businesses in the same process. Although, would be it be fair to say that 7-Eleven dominate the petrol and convenience market in the eastern capitals, and we are the exception?.

Personally I believe their success for their convenience brand is partly thanks to Adelaide's restrictive trading hours. If you want want to grab a carton of milk, bread or any other groceries after trading hours, you're only real choice is mainly OTR. If trading hours were deregulated or relaxed, then this would severely impact OTR.

I hope trading hours are relaxed very soon, because there is nothing worse than buying an item at OTR that is double or triple the cost you would pay at the supermarket. Don't get me wrong I am a firm lover of SA owned businesses, but the way OTR have operated in recent years has mostly shown they care more about profits, monopolising the market than successfully contributing a positive outcome for the state. There are just way too many OTRs in Adelaide and the trend is now slowly moving into regional towns and interstate... including a new OTR in Mildura.

On the upside they are injecting money into a premier motor racing park that will host a second V8 race in SA which will bring in millions of dollars annually into the state economy aswell as creating local jobs in their new outlets (at the expense of others). Still, I can't say I'm a big lover of OTR anymore.

As for Krispy Kreme, sure the SA licence is owned by the Peregrine Group and the quality isn't as good compared to per say GG. Though this is a brand that Adelaide needed, for years people were whinging or cramming boxes of glazed donuts into the overhead luggage on flights back to Adelaide from Sydney or Melbourne..... it's now finally here, novelty is starting to wear off and I'm sure in a couple of years they will start to struggle due to saturating the SA market. Just take a look at the eastern states, KK is starting to struggle.

bits
Legendary Member!

#177 Post by bits » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:45 am

The reason no one goes to GG is because where are they? Have they opened stores near me in easy to find and access locations? As far as I know they have a store in CX only. Only after feeling pressure from krispy kreme have they decided to open more stores, so krispy kreme is the driver for growing the economy of SA. So good for SA they can even cause external companies to invest in SA also.

Do they bring new money to South Australia via borrowing from banks, expanding and creating a larger economy?
Do they employ thousands of people?
Do they spend large amounts of money on construction and renovation of buildings?

And deregulation of hours will do nothing to help small guys. Otr got big because they have a highly successful model. People like the stores.
In the end business needs to create products customers want.
Last edited by bits on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bits
Legendary Member!

#178 Post by bits » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:16 am

rev wrote: Even more hilarious is how most of you probably ran to Krispy Kreme when it opened up to eat their bland mass produced garbage, but probably have only ever gone to Gourmet Glaze less then times then there are fingers on one hand.
People would buy Krispy Kreme in Sydney or Melbourne for years and brought them back to Adelaide. I think it is abundantly clear that a lot of people like Krispy Kreme for its taste and display.
People buy products they like, they clearly like Krispy Kreme, you really can not stand there in the corner preaching that everyone else is wrong and you know best about what other people like.

GG clearly has a lacking business model compared to Krispy Kreme; maybe it is location(or the lack of) but maybe it is just that people do not like GG. It is likely a combination of both, if the products were good the people would come.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#179 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am

bits wrote:deregulation of hours will do nothing to help small guys. Otr got big because they have a highly successful model. People like the stores.
In the end business needs to create products customers want.
No, but it will have a negative impact on OTR.

OTR have built a successfully business model over the last 10 years. Though restrictive supermarket trading hours have played a big part in that success, especially on weekends.
People would buy Krispy Kreme in Sydney or Melbourne for years and brought them back to Adelaide. I think it is abundantly clear that a lot of people like Krispy Kreme for its taste and display.
I'd say it was more to do with being a novelty and a treat when travelling interstate.

Now that KK is opening up more stores and becoming an established brand here in SA, that novelty is already starting to wear off and this will eventually impact their profits. I don't think they will leave SA in the future, but their popularity will decrease.
GG clearly has a lacking business model compared to Krispy Kreme; maybe it is location(or the lack of) but maybe it is just that people do not like GG. It is likely a combination of both, if the products were good the people would come.
Comparing the two are like apples and oranges. GG is a locally owned small family business compared to KK which is a well recognised international brand..

One thing is for sure, GG quality is superior compared to KK.

claybro

#180 Post by claybro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Or could it be that Peregrine have created a clearly branded, consistent, well maintained and well marketed set up. I guess my round about point being we are so quick to diss a large local successful corporation, whilst simultaneously managing to feel sorry for the poorly run business model of the small local, AND at the same time not supporting them. Smacks of tall poppy syndrome to me.