The Krispy Kreme / On The Run thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Krispy Kreme opens on Port Road

#16 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:10 am

Maybe Perengrine should invest in Starbucks as well...
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:51 pm

Stuff giving my money to America I will give my money to a local bakery.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by pushbutton » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35 pm

I drove past tonight on my way to the city and there was still a queue of kars waiting to get into the drive-thru, and a queue of bogans waiting to get inside (even though it was pouring with rain at the time)!

Despite the pretty negative review of Krispy Kreme in todays Advertiser, there must, apparently, be something quite klassy about them given that people obviously krave them so much that they're willing to do this.

Or else it's just very klever marketing, that works incredibly well!

ghs

#19 Post by ghs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 pm

I also drove past tonight at about 7pm. It was cold and wet, I couldn't believe how
many people were lined up. I would say the wait would have been at least 30 mins.
Even finding a car park nearby would have been difficult.

The thing that surprises me is why aren't there more stores in Australia when
they have so many potential customers ?

ghs

#20 Post by ghs » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 pm

Brucetiki wrote:I popped down after work for a dozen glazed doughnuts (mmmm lol)

Line wasn't too bad - about a half hour wait.

What was most surprising is that our packs are quite dearer than interstate. The Sampler pack (1 dozen glazed, 1 dozen assorted), is about $32 in Melbourne but $45 in Adelaide :shock:
I would say they'v jacked up the prices for the first couple of weeks because they know there will be a lot of customers who
will pay the extra money.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:25 pm

ABC News 2014-07-17 wrote:Armed offender steals haul of Krispy Kreme doughnuts from Adelaide teenagers
Police say a teenager with what appeared to be a knife has stolen doughnuts from two other Adelaide teenagers. Only days after high-profile doughnuts maker Krispy Kreme opened an outlet in the city's western suburbs, two boys were threatened by another teenager and their six boxes of doughnuts taken. Police say the offender took the freshly bought snacks after the boys got into their car in Malcolm Street, not far from the Port Road Croydon outlet. They say the offender demanded the teenagers stay in the front seats then opened a rear door and took the boxes from the back seat, about 9:40pm ACST on Wednesday. They say the offender was wearing a black hoodie and black trackpants. The doughnuts firm has been heavily promoting its arrival in Adelaide and has had queues waiting to buy its product.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-17/a ... atenews_sa

:?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#22 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:32 pm

Aidan

#23 Post by Aidan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:49 pm

A few years ago some people here objected to my question about how to prevent bogans turning violent. I hope everyone now agrees it's a question that needs to be asked!
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#24 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:33 pm

pushbutton wrote:I drove past tonight on my way to the city and there was still a queue of kars waiting to get into the drive-thru, and a queue of bogans waiting to get inside (even though it was pouring with rain at the time)!

Despite the pretty negative review of Krispy Kreme in todays Advertiser, there must, apparently, be something quite klassy about them given that people obviously krave them so much that they're willing to do this.

Or else it's just very klever marketing, that works incredibly well!
Class has nothing to do with.

The whole episode has been quite embarrassing foe the state really.

I mean I can sort of understand lining up for say a phone, but a donut?

ghs

#25 Post by ghs » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:58 pm

I agree Waewick.

I drove past again today with the intention of going into the store, however again
there was at least a 30 minute line up, so I drove off.

I think the line ups will continue until early next week.

Patrick_27

#26 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:15 pm

I agree with Waewick; the commotion of this store opening is an embarrassment to South Australia. I'm living in Melbourne at the moment, and some of the people here genuinely think the people of Adelaide are sad-cases to get so hyped about the opening of a food franchise...

Personally, I don't like or support the idea of Krispy Kreme in Adelaide. I think Peregrine Corporation have turned a nasty on SA business. Firstly, by cutting Balfours off as a supplier of pastries and bringing Pie Face here instead as the alternative (with the intent of opening store fronts for Pie Face in and around the areas that Balfours have established their cafe's), and now this; Krispy Kreme will only compete with existing business who already tend to this market and do so comfortably.

Krispy Kreme's interest in Adelaide only occurred once they saw the success of Gourmet Glaze in it's earlier days, they attempted to buy out GG and establish themselves here through that means, when the offer was turned down they made remarks to suggest they would quash GG. I have no respect for ill-treatment of local business. I also have little respect for local media who are giving free publicity to Krispy Kremes despite the fact that their business can flourish without any advertising.

I hope the hype dies, and I hope that this in-turn leads to the quick demise of KK in SA, just like Starbucks.

Nathan

#27 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:37 pm

Is the Krispy Kreme thing embarrassing? Yes, it is. But it's not unique to Adelaide.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=kris ... n&tbm=isch

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:...I also have little respect for local media who are giving free publicity to Krispy Kremes despite the fact that their business can flourish without any advertising...
With the quantity and over the top amount of KK publicity on local radio, I doubt that it is going to air unpaid. Sounds more like a carefully considered radio campaign to me.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Gee all these people getting all fired up about a doughnut store :lol:

PS I miss Starbucks

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by pushbutton » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:07 pm

In Britain where I come from there are Krispy Kreme stores which always seem to be empty!

According to the article in yesterdays Advertiser, the number of KK stores in other countries is slowly dwindling. According to the same article, the quality / taste of KK donuts isn't even all that good compared to donuts you can get elsewhere in Adelaide (without queuing).

It's ridiculous!