[PRO] Adoption of Australian Eastern Standard Time?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Adoption of Australian Eastern Standard Time?

#1 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:47 pm

News doing the rounds today on AdelaideNow and InDaily that the State Government is considering a change to Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

Re: [PRO] Adoption of Australian Eastern Standard Time?

#2 Post by Aidan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm

I'd be in favour of splitting the difference by synchronizing with Queensland. But to determine whether it should be done immediately or eventually, I'd like to see changes in electricity consumption and interconnector use modelled.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by Phantom » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm

+1 - The pros outweigh the cons for me.
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Yeh, because our time zone is what's holding the state back economically.
As if half an hour is making all that much difference when SA has become an economic and social backwater.
Fix the economy first, then if our time zone is an issue, address it.
“South Australia’s half-hour time difference to the eastern states and 90 minute difference to Western Australia can cause confusion across the spectrum of our daily lives – from sporting fixtures to public service administration and business transactions,” Weatherill said.
Is this for real? People are suddenly becoming confused and cant factor time zone differences in? Maybe the whole planet should adopt a single time zone, that way Jay Weatherill can avoid confusion.
Although differing time zones don't seem to be a problem for the worlds financial centers like New York, London, Tokyo..

:wallbash:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:24 pm

This ol' chestnut. Dragged out and dusted off each year or two. Distraction/diversion tactic 101...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:52 pm

The State Government releases controversial changes to the health system... then lo behold, let's discuss changing the timezone!

On a serious note, I'm in favour of aligning SA to AEST (at least Adelaide/eastern SA). At the moment Australian timezones are a dogs breakfast, with six different timezones right now thanks to DLS.
NSW/VIC/TAS: +11
SA: +10.5
QLD: +10
NT: +9.5
Eastern WA: +8.45
Western WA: +8 (incl Perth)

Right now, SA is ahead of QLD. #confused

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Hooligan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:18 pm

SA's natural time zone is GMT +9.

SA shouldn't move forward unless it means splitting the time zone through the middle of the state putting Adelaide the same as the eastern states and the west of the state the same as WA.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:03 am

crawf wrote:The State Government releases controversial changes to the health system... then lo behold, let's discuss changing the timezone!

On a serious note, I'm in favour of aligning SA to AEST (at least Adelaide/eastern SA). At the moment Australian timezones are a dogs breakfast, with six different timezones right now thanks to DLS.

Yeh, six different time zones, for an entire continent...wow, amazing. :roll:

And why doesn't QLD change to be in line with the rest of the East Coast? Why should we change?

I'm in favor of people growing a frigin brain and realizing our state has bigger issues that are prohibiting our economic growth then what time it is.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:06 am

crawf wrote:The State Government releases controversial changes to the health system... then lo behold, let's discuss changing the timezone!

Both of these things. It's an obvious attempt at distraction from some other matters. However the reason we should change is that being one of only 3 (IIRC) time zones that are not rounded to the nearest hour has caused problems in the past. Although with smarter technology it has become almost a non-issue.If we did move, it's only a half hour, we move a whole hour in daylight saving. Time is relative and a human construct.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:28 am

Can we just mandate everyone use Swatch .beats?

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Jaymz » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Such a ridiculous idea, i'm amazed this is getting any kind of air time.

The only reason this should happen, is if there is a substantial $$$ boost to the state economy. Which I can't really see happening.

claybro

#12 Post by claybro » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Funny. Two of the nations biggest economies QLD and WA are not sycronised currently with SYDDENNY. Doesnt seem to prevent these states just bloody getting on with life. In fact, one of the most refreshing things about moving to WA has been the care less factor here as to what is happening in the east. The only people the time zones seem to confuse are those in Sydney and Melbourne, who cant seem to understand why the whole world does not operate around EST or EDST and try ringing the office here at 5am!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:34 am

rev wrote:

Yeh, six different time zones, for an entire continent...wow, amazing. :roll:
It's more to do with the fact, that SA is ahead of Queensland for six months of the year.

During non DLS, there are only three main timezones - 10+ AEST, 9.5+ ACST, 8+ AWST

[Shuz]

#14 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:44 am

Personally, I believe SA should have two timezones.

AEST for east of Port Augusta, including the Yorke Peninsula, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide and the South East.

ACST for west of Port Augusta, including the Eyre Peninsula, APY Lands and Far West. (1 hour behind AEST).

The only concern is who which way Whyalla would go - economically, it makes sense to make an exception and include it as part of AEST.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#15 Post by Aidan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Shuz, would you retain daylight saving?
And what advantage do you think your plan would have over synchronizing SA with Queensland?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.