representation matters

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: representation matters

#46 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:02 am

rev wrote:I disagree with the purpose of spending money on a walkway for a certain minority group, any minority group(even my own). Because it doesn't do anything other then waste peoples money.
rev wrote:why the gay community needs a walkway dedicated to them(Paid by others),
rev wrote:Seriously I can't believe you guys are trying to justify something that is essentially a waste of money.
Again, they're going to seek contributions from the community towards the cost of the walkway. It won't be completely paid for by council/ratepayers. I'd also imagine it would come under the existing public artwork budget.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Ben » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:20 am

rev wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:How is Rev not being banned?
Because although he has said a few things in desperation that are potentially offensive in general, he's not directed anything offensive to any particular individual. (Excluding his last stab at you.)

I'll defend his right to state his opinion, as long as he's stating it without personal insults. But I'll also defend everyone else's right to explain to him why his opinion is wrong and harmful.
I'm actually not trying to be offensive. But rather trying to understand why one minority group needs a special walkway while others seemingly aren't deemed worthy of something similar.
I'm not against better understanding and more tolerance between different groups in society, be they the majority or the many different minority groups.
I just think that if it's being done to promote better understanding and tolerance, it shouldn't be focused on a single minority group, but should be focused on tolerance and understanding in general.
After all, homosexuals aren't the only people who have been discriminated against, nor are they the only ones who are still discriminated against.
I still face discrimination from time to time.
But apparently because there's a Greek festival or three or four, I don't need special walkways for my kind. Even though there's a gay festival, which would serve the same purpose as a Greek festival in promoting and delivering better understanding and tolerance of the gay community for the rest of us...

Does being born with Greek heritage make you want to end your life?

Does being born with Greek heritage stop you from being able to show affection to the person you love in the street?

Does being born Greek stop you from being able to be married by law?

Was being born Greek illegal until the 1990s?

Even though you know you are of Greek heritage, do you have to make an effort to hide this from your friends, family and workplace from fear of bullying, discrimination or worse?

I think you have a lot to learn mate, unfortunately I think you are a lost cause. I do think you are homophobic and offensive if based nothing else but on your rant about gay men, drug use and the parklands. I will not waste any further of my time on you, as you have made up your mind and are clearly not open to alternative views. Shame.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#48 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 am

Right. I'm not questioning or dismissing the suffering or pain or stress or mental health issues homosexuals deal with as a result of their sexuality so I have no idea why your going on about it.

But it's nice to see how you think your suffering or theirs, is of more importance or significance then mine.
Nice of you to lecture me on how I'm clueless and what not and how I don't get it, while you obviously don't get it from my perspective and what I went through and still have to put up with.
Nice of you to assume how I or others feel, or how we dealt and coped with it.

And I'm the one whose wrong whose a lost cause. It's laughable.

I'm not saying more shouldn't be done, I'm just saying this walkway isn't the way to go about it and it won't change anything for the better.

Llessur2002

#49 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:53 am

Not sure what the fuss is about - $91k is a relatively small amount of money in terms of the Council budget and a walkway which could help promote the inclusion of an often marginalised group is a much better use of ratepayers’ money than some of the other ideas that ACC have floated in the past.

I’m 100% behind this project – regardless of what’s been stated the LGBTIQ community still faces regular discrimination from many levels of society, both obvious and subtle. The ongoing debacle about gay marriage and whether it will anger one or more phantom sky deities is an obvious one. Workplace bullying, physical/verbal assaults and blanket bans on blood donation etc are others.

A walkway will help to promote Adelaide as a vibrant and welcoming city – a statement which may help to make the LGBTIQ community feel a little more welcome in what is still perceived to be a rather conservative city. As well as promoting inclusion of a marginalised group it will also promote the progressiveness of Adelaide as a city, making it more attractive to visitors. On top of that there’s a growing movement amongst businesses to attract the ‘pink dollar’ and $91k is not a bad upfront investment for what might help to increase LGBTIQ tourism, festivals, events etc to the City.

If a similar walkway was proposed to celebrate the Greek or Italian community within Adelaide I’d be fully supportive of it and I suspect most others would too. I can’t imagine a situation where if a Greek walkway was proposed, there’d be an outcry along the lines of “we can’t put that in until there’s a rainbow walkway and an Italian walkway too, otherwise it’s discriminatory”… They're all good suggestions, who cares which one comes first? I'd be happy to rally for multiple other walkways after this one's finished.

Similar to Canberra Airport’s recent #WeCanDoThis lighting installation, it’s a bold statement that shows the LGBTIQ community they are welcome here and are valued members of our society. Let’s forget all about this other nonsense, have a nice cup of tea and all be friends and celebrate another addition to Adelaide’s CBD which reflects progressive values and society – something which we could do with a little more of sometimes.

And, as far as I am aware, Pride festivals are open to all – Adelaide Pride should be promoted as a significant event in Adelaide’s calendar and the community as a whole should be encouraged to attend. Have a been to a few and always had a great time, although my head always paid for it the following day…

rev

#50 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Not sure what the fuss is about - $91k is a relatively small amount of money in terms of the Council budget and a walkway which could help promote the inclusion of an often marginalised group is a much better use of ratepayers’ money than some of the other ideas that ACC have floated in the past.
Will they spend on other minority groups having meaningless things?
I’m 100% behind this project – regardless of what’s been stated the LGBTIQ community still faces regular discrimination from many levels of society, both obvious and subtle. The ongoing debacle about gay marriage and whether it will anger one or more phantom sky deities is an obvious one. Workplace bullying, physical/verbal assaults and blanket bans on blood donation etc are others.
So it's ok to insult people for their religious beliefs but you want tolerance? Or is it a case of they did it first...
A walkway will help to promote Adelaide as a vibrant and welcoming city – a statement which may help to make the LGBTIQ community feel a little more welcome in what is still perceived to be a rather conservative city. As well as promoting inclusion of a marginalised group it will also promote the progressiveness of Adelaide as a city, making it more attractive to visitors. On top of that there’s a growing movement amongst businesses to attract the ‘pink dollar’ and $91k is not a bad upfront investment for what might help to increase LGBTIQ tourism, festivals, events etc to the City.
So there shouldn't be any issue with building walkways for every other minority or majority group right? It's going to make Adelaide more vibrant and welcoming and less conservative after all.
If a similar walkway was proposed to celebrate the Greek or Italian community within Adelaide I’d be fully supportive of it and I suspect most others would too. I can’t imagine a situation where if a Greek walkway was proposed, there’d be an outcry along the lines of “we can’t put that in until there’s a rainbow walkway and an Italian walkway too, otherwise it’s discriminatory”… They're all good suggestions, who cares which one comes first? I'd be happy to rally for multiple other walkways after this one's finished.
But what would the purpose be of a Greek or Italian walkway through part of the CBD?
I'm Greek and I'd be against it. Because it's a waste of time money and space and doesn't serve any purpose. Not even when racism was at its worst.
Similar to Canberra Airport’s recent #WeCanDoThis lighting installation, it’s a bold statement that shows the LGBTIQ community they are welcome here and are valued members of our society. Let’s forget all about this other nonsense, have a nice cup of tea and all be friends and celebrate another addition to Adelaide’s CBD which reflects progressive values and society – something which we could do with a little more of sometimes.
What about other minority groups? Why aren't these things being done for them to make them feel welcome?
Because there is no agenda being pushed in the media for them like there is for the gay community.
And, as far as I am aware, Pride festivals are open to all – Adelaide Pride should be promoted as a significant event in Adelaide’s calendar and the community as a whole should be encouraged to attend. Have a been to a few and always had a great time, although my head always paid for it the following day…
It probably is open to everyone. But why isn't it promoted and marketed?
Certainly that festival would do far more to create understanding and tolerance and create a vibrant welcoming city then a rainbow walkway.

Llessur2002

#51 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:39 pm

rev wrote:Will they spend on other minority groups having meaningless things?
Hopefully - this is as good a place to start as any.
rev wrote:So it's ok to insult people for their religious beliefs but you want tolerance? Or is it a case of they did it first...
Ideally I'd like the world to free itself from the shackles of all religions - it would become a much more tolerant place. But we'd probably need a whole other thread for that...
rev wrote:So there shouldn't be any issue with building walkways for every other minority or majority group right? It's going to make Adelaide more vibrant and welcoming and less conservative after all.
More than happy with this idea.We need to put something in our empty parklands. A multitude of features celebrating the diverse makeup of Adelaide's community would be a great addition to our city.
rev wrote:But what would the purpose be of a Greek or Italian walkway through part of the CBD?
To promote and celebrate the Greek/Italian communities and their ongoing contributions to society. I think it's a great idea.
rev wrote:What about other minority groups? Why aren't these things being done for them to make them feel welcome?
As stated, more than happy for as many celebratory walkways as possible - especially those promoting inclusion of unfairly marginalised groups. The LGBTIQ community is a great place to start and will hopefully kick-start many more similar projects.
rev wrote:It probably is open to everyone. But why isn't it promoted and marketed? Certainly that festival would do far more to create understanding and tolerance and create a vibrant welcoming city then a rainbow walkway.
Why not indeed? It should be. Hopefully the Council will allocate some further funds towards promotion and expansion of this exciting event. Perhaps it will do far more to create understanding and tolerance and create a vibrant welcoming city than a rainbow walkway. So why not have and benefit from both?

Also, it is quite possible the rainbow walkway will help the LGBTIQ community to feel a little more comfortable in promoting the Pride festival - two birds one stone.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by mshagg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:11 pm

rev wrote:Right. I'm not questioning or dismissing the suffering or pain or stress or mental health issues homosexuals deal with as a result of their sexuality so I have no idea why your going on about it.
It's not their sexuality which is causing pain, stress and mental health issues. It is the way they are treated purely because of their sexuality that causes these issues.

Think of a pride walk as an olive branch from council, a small token to mend some of the damage done by the small number of loud voices who do all they can to make life hell for these people.

The fuss around the idea is completely out of proportion and demonstrates perfectly why a message of acceptance and tolerance needs to be sent.

rev

#53 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:42 pm

mshagg wrote:
rev wrote:Right. I'm not questioning or dismissing the suffering or pain or stress or mental health issues homosexuals deal with as a result of their sexuality so I have no idea why your going on about it.
It's not their sexuality which is causing pain, stress and mental health issues. It is the way they are treated purely because of their sexuality that causes these issues.

Think of a pride walk as an olive branch from council, a small token to mend some of the damage done by the small number of loud voices who do all they can to make life hell for these people.

The fuss around the idea is completely out of proportion and demonstrates perfectly why a message of acceptance and tolerance needs to be sent.
That's pretty much what I meant just too lazy to write it.

The fuss on here or in general?
The fuss here is created by the responses to my posts.
I'm not really paying attention to the media on this or in general anymore so I can't comment.

I still don't see how a rainbow walkway will make things better against a backdrop of a small group of people who make life difficult for homosexuals. Will there be magical filters there that keep out all the negativity?

The only way to beat the bigots is to get on with life. For gay people to excel at what they do at whatever professions they may be in. The bigots are an even smaller minority then homosexuals. The majority of people would stand up against someone bullying a homosexual in public say on a train like many do already against racists.

Things like the Greek festivals we have throughout the year also help beat the racist bigots. Which is why i don't understand why the gay festival isn't better promoted to the rest of the community.

Did racism stop Greeks or Italians for example?
Nope. It only made many of them even more determined to succeed. And many did. That's why there's the stereotype of our parents having multiple houses and giving each of their kids a house among other stereotypes.
That's why we had a Greek running the AFL.
That's why we had and have many Greek and Italian sports stars, actors, politicians, celebrities and high profile business people.

What's the physical difference between gays and regular people? Nothing, can't tell them apart. Unless they put on that ridiculous voice or a gay bloke decides to over do it with his clothing or hair.

A Greek/Italian is obviously visually distinguishable from an Anglo Saxon.

Or is the discrimination against gays worse then that against ethnic minorities? I'm born in this country, that makes me Australian..but I still have to deal with racism. But apparently some people on this site think it's all good because I get to go to the Glendi festival one weekend during the year, they think their suffering is more important and while demanding understanding and sympathy basically take a piss on other people's suffering.

I understand and sympathize with the suffering of others because of discrimination better then the know it alls here think due to the discrimination I've also faced. But just because I dared to question something related to the homosexual agenda I'm apparently a homophobe and lost cause.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by mshagg » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:17 pm

rev wrote: The fuss on here or in general?
Yes, sorry I should have been clearer - I am speaking to the controversy surrounding the walk generally.

For my 2c this shouldn't be controversial, but then again it is Adelaide, where battle lines are drawn on bus routes and food trucks.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#55 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:57 pm

rev wrote:But just because I dared to question something related to the homosexual agenda I'm apparently a homophobe and lost cause.
The manner in which you put forward your argument is what draws angst.

I don't have a problem with debate or differing opinions, but suggesting the only contribution LGBT people have made to the city is sex and drugs in the parklands isn't going to win your point of view a lot of respect.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#56 Post by serca » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:36 am

That actually made for an interesting read.

I understand the fundamentals of Rev's opinion. This walkway won't heal or educate or even raise awareness. Sometimes the emphasis put on equal rights actually creates a bigger divide. That's what happened with Adam Goodes and what is happening within the gay community and many others, people argue the point of equal rights with an US and THEM when people from all walks of life just need to realise we are all the same no matter skin colour, social status, sexuality or whatever. Yes yes ok there is a root system , with a trunk and yes some branches, ok some twigs and leaves lets not forget the bark ........... but for fucks sake it's a tree!!

The problem here is humans. Give something a label and it's enough to be different from you. As soon as there is a label creating a difference humans get all fucked up. No? Why is it a boarder can cause so much dislike between US and VICTORIANS for example? Do we even know why we don't like each other in general? Or why have I seen fights at football games between supporters of different teams??? Why on SSC is there a need for a thread called my city v's your city because most topics ended up in discussion about why their city was better than the others or Why at school did we bully both the gays and the greeks. Or why is it when a random muslim murders someone it's instantly portrayed as terrorism, or if it's a black or ethnic person it's a cultural issue or a white person does it, it's a crazy lone wolf. It's all labels and conditioning and we are all guilty of it, most of the time without even realising or knowing why.

This is relevant because why the hell does anyone even care, we don't even know!? If a rainbow walkway is installed and represents the freedom and right to be gay so be it. Like Rev said it won't make coming out any easier or educate the dumb but it is there not only for gay people to walk on but everyone. I as a straight male will walk or bugger it skip down the middle and not give a shit if the person next to me is gay or not

My wife is Japanese and recently she was racially abused, it was random and extremely full on. Of course she was upset and shaken up even confused. No Himeji garden would ever make her feel better about it, or educate the people at fault. But does this mean the garden should not be there? Hell no of course it should, for many reasons.

To all the gays on this site I can't begin to imagine just how hard it would have been to have that internal battle most likely at such a young age being confused and scared and not even be able to or want to discuss it with your own parents. As a parent of two the thought breaks my heart.

Same as to the ethnics even the ones as a school kid I bullied I can't imagine the pain of that bulling because it was consistent and I wen't home and forgot about it and simply you didn't.

HAHA that was just like a deep and meaningful id have with a mate or random at the PUB ;) after many a froffie . Touche' pub thread :cheers:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by Wayno » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:39 am

Let's keep top of mind that the rainbow walk was proposed by Councillor Simms - obviously to showcase his political prowess in pursuit of a senate spot. I doubt such a proposal would otherwise have been made.

He's clearly too good, and too crafty, for a mere councillor role.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

rubberman

#58 Post by rubberman » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 am

I'm not sure why naming some thoroughfare over a narrow range if people is regarded as unusual. It's done all the time.

There are so many examples: Anzac Highway for example, or King William Street and Victoria Square (After Pommy queens and kings). So why are people getting fired up about some Rainbow Alley, or whatever? Plenty of Adelaide streets are named after individuals, not even groups. There are major roads here named after people who didn't do much more than come here and cosy up to Bill Light.

Why the fuss?

Waewick

#59 Post by Waewick » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Wasn't someone on here connected to someone else starting a new political party?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by Goodsy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:35 pm

rubberman wrote:I'm not sure why naming some thoroughfare over a narrow range if people is regarded as unusual. It's done all the time.

There are so many examples: Anzac Highway for example, or King William Street and Victoria Square (After Pommy queens and kings). So why are people getting fired up about some Rainbow Alley, or whatever? Plenty of Adelaide streets are named after individuals, not even groups. There are major roads here named after people who didn't do much more than come here and cosy up to Bill Light.

Why the fuss?
Between Cormack Road and Grand Junction there is a whole road layout dedicated to Formula One drivers