representation matters

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: representation matters

#31 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:20 pm

I'm "worked up" over the responses, not a walkway.
At the end of the day it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me what colour they decide to paint a walkway. What does make a difference is the reasons and justification for it. Because that starts a slippery slope. That the AFL is finding out about now after defending Goodes' provocative behavior towards fans when it's previously not been allowed but not getting ready to reprimand a non indigenous player for his inciting behavior towards fans.

Whether I'm a ratepayer in the CBD or not shouldn't be relevant as the CBD Is not an ordinary suburb but of significant importance for all Adelaidians.

And Mono, you aren't going to change everyone's opinions views and beliefs. A walkway isn't going to in any way shape or form change opinions/beliefs.
Just like there are still some racist people in society and always will be there will always be people who are against homosexuality. This represents a minority of people.

And that's not just my opinion. It's a fact backed up the fact that a majority of Australians support the right for same sex couples to be able to tie the knot. Like close to 90% I believe.

Nobody can tell me why gays require a walkway but I don't.

On the contrary I've been told I've got a festival or two so I don't need it. And their "suffering" is apparently of more significant then mine.

The whole reason I commented on this walkway was to highlight the arrogance, double standards and hypocrisy of the politically correct agenda movement in general.

Playgrounds serve a purpose. They are an amenity that is required. It is not based on ethnic background faith or sexuality.

War memorials, trams..same thing.

And crawf it's not society standing in the way of allowing same sex unions but the politicians.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:35 pm

rev wrote:So, what are the cultural contributions homosexuality has made to our society? Besides making parts of the parklands late at night unsafe.
Wow.

rev

#33 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 pm

Matt wrote:
rev wrote:So, what are the cultural contributions homosexuality has made to our society? Besides making parts of the parklands late at night unsafe.
Wow.
Wow indeed only if you've been living under a rock. There's a reason why some parts of the park lands have come to be known as p...... park. There's a reason why gay men hang around the darker parts of Bonython park.
are you going to deny gay men aren't trading sex for the drug ice? It was in the paper...a recovering addict who happens to be gay and happened to take part in such activities spilled the beans.
Not that they are the only ones dealing or trading drugs.

Still can't answer a question though.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by crawf » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:37 pm

^Thanks for reminding me, I forgot I was going to hang out in the parklands tonight and buy/sell some drugs. Cheers

Meanwhile...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/2 ... ail/#page1

Seriously laughable.

rev

#35 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:11 pm

Crawf laugh all you like and dismiss what I said but it's a widely known fact that gay men hang out in some adelaide parklands looking to pick up.
It's also been revealed that gay online date sites are being used by gay men who are exchanging drugs for sex.

These are facts Crawf. Now they may not sit well with some people's attempts to white wash over the realities of the gay scene but they are facts.

Not that it has anything to do with a walkway.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:49 pm

rev wrote:Crawf laugh all you like and dismiss what I said but it's a widely known fact that gay men hang out in some adelaide parklands looking to pick up.
It's also been revealed that gay online date sites are being used by gay men who are exchanging drugs for sex.

These are facts Crawf. Now they may not sit well with some people's attempts to white wash over the realities of the gay scene but they are facts.

As opposed to all the places where straight people go to hook up for outdoor sex with strangers. It's called "dogging". It's a thing. (First result in Google... http://adelaidedogging.com/ NSFW)

As opposed to all the straight people who buy drugs online. (First result in Google news... http://www.itnews.com.au/News/408108,ns ... kdown.aspx)

Speaking of hypocrisy.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:15 pm

How is Rev not being banned?

Jesus fucking Christ.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by SRW » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 pm

rev wrote:Crawf laugh all you like and dismiss what I said but it's a widely known fact that gay men hang out in some adelaide parklands looking to pick up.

Well, it is relevant to the Pride Walk if we consider the reason why people from the diverse communities of the LGBTIQ umbrella need to demonstrate pride. And part of the reason lays in what you've said above.

Throughout this thread you've said you think that a Pride Walk represents segregation or, in a sense, privilege vis-á-vis others where I'd argue it merely seeks to assert the membership of a marginalised group of people in society at large.

While we all might like to think that society is now largely accepting of (or even just not fussed by) sexually diverse people, their exclusion from the mainstream is evident when as a segment of population they suffer the highest rates of mental illness and suicide rates.

Such rates are directly linked to the widespread bullying, dicrimination and violence they face in law and in public.

Treatment that reduces them to a position of otherness that allows you unthinkingly to make a comment like the above.

By supporting pride in being LGBTIQ, we integrate people under that umbrella by showing they are more broadly diverse than simply sexually, being parents, children, siblings of any profession or walk of life. In other words, it helps them to be seen as just like anyone else.

It's all part of the project of integration, in the same way that ethnic festivals like Glendi and others (many of which are in fact 'taxpayer' suported) helped the Anglo-Saxon mainstream understand and value migrant groups.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Ben » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:01 am

Did anyone see the home invasion last night by the straight Caucasian men. Far out they should all be locked up. They are definitely all dangerous and likely to commit this crime at any time. They are all the same those straight white men.

rev

#40 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:29 am

[Shuz] wrote:How is Rev not being banned?

Jesus fucking Christ.
This from the guy who started a rumor that Adelaide was getting a new tallest, was banned for it, and came back under another login.
This from the guy who, after that episode, was trusted to keep threads labeled and ordered, but went around deleting peoples posts in secret and when found out was stripped of the ability to edit/delete other peoples posts because that little bit of power went to his head.
Or the million times you've claimed to have 'inside' info but never backed it up.
And let's not forget the time you were making gay slurs against Giorgio on SSC.

I disagree with the purpose of spending money on a walkway for a certain minority group, any minority group(even my own). Because it doesn't do anything other then waste peoples money. IMO a better way to spend that money would be to create some sort of public space for everyone, where everyone regardless of faith, ethnicity or sexuality is made to feel welcome and included and part of.
It has lead to a discussion which is off the topic of the Adelaide City Council, so those posts were split into a separate thread by the moderators(which thankfully these days does not include you).
Last edited by rev on Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

rev

#41 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:36 am

monotonehell wrote:

As opposed to all the places where straight people go to hook up for outdoor sex with strangers. It's called "dogging". It's a thing. (First result in Google... http://adelaidedogging.com/ NSFW)

As opposed to all the straight people who buy drugs online. (First result in Google news... http://www.itnews.com.au/News/408108,ns ... kdown.aspx)

Speaking of hypocrisy.
So every time we state something, we have to state the other side as well, just to keep people happy? Even if it is obvious and doesn't need to be stated?
If anything, my pointing out that the ice epidemic within the gay community(apparently), shows that they are just like the rest of society regardless of their sexuality.
It further backs up my argument that society doesn't really care about peoples sexuality anymore, the majority of people have no issue with someone being gay.
The boundaries that exist, exist because of a minority of bigots and only exist for them, and the boundaries that gay people create them selves thinking they are in a different era where coming out of the closet will result in them getting beaten up and are therefore forced to sneak around.

You guys keep focusing on everything I'm saying, except for the simple question of why the gay community needs a walkway dedicated to them(Paid by others), while other minority groups who have been victimized by society at some point do not deserve their own walkway as well.
I take it you guys don't really have a valid reason that can stand up on it's own two feet as to why this rainbow walkway is needed, as opposed to a walkway or park that's about tolerance and understanding regardless of peoples ethnicity faith or sexuality.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by monotonehell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:43 am

Rev I suggest you read SRW's post again. He said it quite succinctly...
SRW wrote:Well, it is relevant to the Pride Walk if we consider the reason why people from the diverse communities of the LGBTIQ umbrella need to demonstrate pride. And part of the reason lays in what you've said above.

Throughout this thread you've said you think that a Pride Walk represents segregation or, in a sense, privilege vis-á-vis others where I'd argue it merely seeks to assert the membership of a marginalised group of people in society at large.

While we all might like to think that society is now largely accepting of (or even just not fussed by) sexually diverse people, their exclusion from the mainstream is evident when as a segment of population they suffer the highest rates of mental illness and suicide rates.

Such rates are directly linked to the widespread bullying, discrimination and violence they face in law and in public.

Treatment that reduces them to a position of otherness that allows you unthinkingly to make a comment like the above.

By supporting pride in being LGBTIQ, we integrate people under that umbrella by showing they are more broadly diverse than simply sexually, being parents, children, siblings of any profession or walk of life. In other words, it helps them to be seen as just like anyone else.

It's all part of the project of integration, in the same way that ethnic festivals like Glendi and others (many of which are in fact 'taxpayer' supported) helped the Anglo-Saxon mainstream understand and value migrant groups.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by monotonehell » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 am

Because although he has said a few things in desperation that are potentially offensive in general, he's not directed anything offensive to any particular individual. (Excluding his last stab at you.)

I'll defend his right to state his opinion, as long as he's stating it without personal insults. But I'll also defend everyone else's right to explain to him why his opinion is wrong and harmful.

rev

#44 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:54 am

SRW wrote:

Well, it is relevant to the Pride Walk if we consider the reason why people from the diverse communities of the LGBTIQ umbrella need to demonstrate pride. And part of the reason lays in what you've said above.

Such rates are directly linked to the widespread bullying, dicrimination and violence they face in law and in public.

It's all part of the project of integration, in the same way that ethnic festivals like Glendi and others (many of which are in fact 'taxpayer' suported) helped the Anglo-Saxon mainstream understand and value migrant groups.
Why do you keep harping on about Glendi? Glendi is a temporary thing that goes for 2 days a year.
You keep referring to it as if there is no gay festival.
Now I've never seen any advertising for the gay festival or promotion. Maybe it happens internally within the gay community.
Now one would think, that that would be a perfect opportunity to create better understanding and tolerance.

How is a walkway going to do that?
How will a walkway fix someones mental health issues?

How do you know I'm not suffering mental health issues as a result of racism and bigotry as a kid?

So if a walkway is going to help with gay peoples mental health issues, will it also help other people who aren't gay but also have mental health issues?
Wouldn't it therefore be a better idea to create a space that is about tolerance and understanding for everyone, that isn't based on sexuality or ethnicity or faith?

If it's all part of the project of integration, then where's my walkway?
Seriously I can't believe you guys are trying to justify something that is essentially a waste of money.
There's better ways to create understanding and tolerance. The gay community it self could start by promoting and opening up it's festival to the rest of South Australia.
I'm not sure what goes on or what events are involved with that festival, I'd assume there are food vans/stalls, music or performing arts. I really don't know. I'd say the majority of South Australia is in the same boat.
A walkway isn't going to help the rest of the community to have a better understanding.

rev

#45 Post by rev » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:00 am

monotonehell wrote:
Because although he has said a few things in desperation that are potentially offensive in general, he's not directed anything offensive to any particular individual. (Excluding his last stab at you.)

I'll defend his right to state his opinion, as long as he's stating it without personal insults. But I'll also defend everyone else's right to explain to him why his opinion is wrong and harmful.
I'm actually not trying to be offensive. But rather trying to understand why one minority group needs a special walkway while others seemingly aren't deemed worthy of something similar.
I'm not against better understanding and more tolerance between different groups in society, be they the majority or the many different minority groups.
I just think that if it's being done to promote better understanding and tolerance, it shouldn't be focused on a single minority group, but should be focused on tolerance and understanding in general.
After all, homosexuals aren't the only people who have been discriminated against, nor are they the only ones who are still discriminated against.
I still face discrimination from time to time.
But apparently because there's a Greek festival or three or four, I don't need special walkways for my kind. Even though there's a gay festival, which would serve the same purpose as a Greek festival in promoting and delivering better understanding and tolerance of the gay community for the rest of us...