Adelaide's music scene venues

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 1-8 North Terrace | 82m | 2 x 24 Levels | Apartments

#1 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:54 pm

RIP HQ

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm

crawf wrote:RIP HQ
Not sure if your comment is in support of HQ or against. But if it's in support, I agree.

There has been absolutely no consideration for the fact that HQ is one of Adelaide's premier live music venues and is our only venue that bridges the gap between The Gov and Thebby/Entertainment Centre Theatre. It's all good to build high-rise development here, there and everywhere but what provisions are being made for the fact that when HQ goes that Adelaide will lose a heap of national tours... Considering we've just been recognised by UNESCO as a city of music recognition this goes completely against that.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by SRW » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
crawf wrote:RIP HQ
Not sure if your comment is in support of HQ or against. But if it's in support, I agree.

There has been absolutely no consideration for the fact that HQ is one of Adelaide's premier live music venues and is our only venue that bridges the gap between The Gov and Thebby/Entertainment Centre Theatre. It's all good to build high-rise development here, there and everywhere but what provisions are being made for the fact that when HQ goes that Adelaide will lose a heap of national tours... Considering we've just been recognised by UNESCO as a city of music recognition this goes completely against that.
Generally, I agree that live music venues should be protected from residential encroachment. But in many ways, HQ has already been superseded as a live music venue since the opening of the new theatre at the AEC and seemingly now by Fat Controller. I don't think we'll lose out on any tours with its demise.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:38 pm

SRW wrote: Generally, I agree that live music venues should be protected from residential encroachment. But in many ways, HQ has already been superseded as a live music venue since the opening of the new theatre at the AEC and seemingly now by Fat Controller. I don't think we'll lose out on any tours with its demise.
I don't feel as if the Fat Controller is really a substitute for HQ in terms of size. Without looking at the actual capacity of the venues, rather the general 'feel' and size, it appears to be somewhere between the UniBar and The Gov in terms of size and capacity, whereas HQ is quite a bit bigger than The Gov.

Feel free the prove me wrong with actual numbers and capacities!
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:48 pm

HQ's main room is 1100, Gov is 700. AEC theatre is up to 3000 apparently.

Possible substitute in the Warehouse 5 proposal with a capacity of 1600.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1219&p=139135&hilit ... sh#p139132

thecityguy
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by thecityguy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I'm sad to see HQ go! Not because I go there. But because the place kept so many wankers off hindley st! Oh well, just gonna have to get used to seeing a lot more shit haircuts on hindley st come Saturday night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#7 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 pm

Nathan wrote:HQ's main room is 1100, Gov is 700. AEC theatre is up to 3000 apparently.

Possible substitute in the Warehouse 5 proposal with a capacity of 1600.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1219&p=139135&hilit ... sh#p139132
Fat Controller's capacity is 500, not comfortably considering the stage placement in the venue.

Patrick_27

#8 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:34 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
SRW wrote: Generally, I agree that live music venues should be protected from residential encroachment. But in many ways, HQ has already been superseded as a live music venue since the opening of the new theatre at the AEC and seemingly now by Fat Controller. I don't think we'll lose out on any tours with its demise.
I don't feel as if the Fat Controller is really a substitute for HQ in terms of size. Without looking at the actual capacity of the venues, rather the general 'feel' and size, it appears to be somewhere between the UniBar and The Gov in terms of size and capacity, whereas HQ is quite a bit bigger than The Gov.

We will lose tours, Adelaide has never been an important destination for touring bands so having a venue of that capacity is really important to encourage tour promoters and artists to make the effort.

Melbourne lost the Palace Theatre (2,000-2,200 capacity) and since then it's really thrown the live music scene out of whack. Bands are either forced to play at the all-seating Palais Theatre (which is similar in size but seating doesn't make it ideal for Metal bands) or alternatively play multiple shows at 170 Russell which is half the capacity of what Palace Theatre had (tour scheduling doesn't always allow for that).

Whilst I love the layout of HQ, I'll happily see it go if there is an adequate replacement provided. Which if I were asked to suggest such a replacement... The two story U Park on North Terrace between Pultney and Frome Street, perfect shell for a conversion to a live music venue.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:26 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:

Who cares. It's only HQ.
Another just as crappy version will open somewhere else. Maybe they'll go to St Pauls and try resurrect their shit excuse for a "super club" there, like Heaven did? Fail, and then hopefully we never hear from them again. Although I hear some people might be involved in a new club called Atlantis, which will fail like their other venture that was near Savvy I think on a corner.

Most of the tours that use HQ couldn't even fill the Entertainment Centers new small venue on Port Road. They are insignificant in terms of importance and status, and the economic windfall they bring, or lack of to be more exact.
Now you might be interested in some of the little bands that come and play at HQ. That's fine, I'm sure the promoters if they are actually any good at what they do, will find another venue in no time.

Nathan

#10 Post by Nathan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am

rev wrote:Who cares. It's only HQ.
Another just as crappy version will open somewhere else. Maybe they'll go to St Pauls and try resurrect their shit excuse for a "super club" there, like Heaven did? Fail, and then hopefully we never hear from them again. Although I hear some people might be involved in a new club called Atlantis, which will fail like their other venture that was near Savvy I think on a corner.

Most of the tours that use HQ couldn't even fill the Entertainment Centers new small venue on Port Road. They are insignificant in terms of importance and status, and the economic windfall they bring, or lack of to be more exact.
Now you might be interested in some of the little bands that come and play at HQ. That's fine, I'm sure the promoters if they are actually any good at what they do, will find another venue in no time.
I'm not a fan of HQ as a venue, but sorry Rev, what you wrote is dismissive crap.

rev

#11 Post by rev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Nathan wrote:

I'm not a fan of HQ as a venue, but sorry Rev, what you wrote is dismissive crap.
Truth hurts.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Blimp » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

HQ has its place in Adelaide's music scene. Bridges the capacity gap between the Gov and Thebarton, but moreso attracts some big hiphop/rap names that whilst not filling out the bigger venues do have a following in SA (Mos Def for example). Just because HQ isnt your cup of herbal tea you cant just dismiss it as not being worthwhile. If this goes ahead - and the HQ void isnt filled - Id put money on some of these American acts bypassing SA altogether. In other words, disagree with the above quashing of HQ 100% :2cents:

rev

#13 Post by rev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Blimp wrote:HQ has its place in Adelaide's music scene. Bridges the capacity gap between the Gov and Thebarton, but moreso attracts some big hiphop/rap names that whilst not filling out the bigger venues do have a following in SA (Mos Def for example). Just because HQ isnt your cup of herbal tea you cant just dismiss it as not being worthwhile. If this goes ahead - and the HQ void isnt filled - Id put money on some of these American acts bypassing SA altogether. In other words, disagree with the above quashing of HQ 100% :2cents:
How about XL?

There's a live music venue that's going to be setup in Hindmarsh near the EC. Why can't the groups/bands/acts that attract a smaller crowd go there?

There is no great loss for anyone if/when HQ goes. Unless you happen to be one of the teeny bopper wannabe El Chappos dealing drugs in the outdoor smoking area of HQ.

That corner/entrance to the CBD should reflect that it's a prime gateway/entrance to the CBD.
It shouldn't be occupied by some crappy night club, nor should it be occupied by some ugly residential towers that are proposed for the area.

Patrick_27

#14 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm

rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:

Truth hurts.
That's not truth, rev. That's ignorance. At-least know what you're talking about before bashing your keyboard.

rev

#15 Post by rev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:That's not truth, rev. That's ignorance. At-least know what you're talking about before bashing your keyboard.
Do you people want to have a discussion, or simply state that I'm wrong and you're right?

Tell me where I'm wrong, and point out the "truth" then.

I say HQ is shit, you say I'm ignorant. Tell us why it's good then.

I say most of the small bands and groups that play at HQ couldn't fill the 3,000 capacity smaller EC venue. You say I'm ignorant. Tell us a group or band that has played at HQ that has sold out a venue that big.

I say a gateway/entrance to the CBD deserves better then a crappy nightclub, and an ugly residential proposal. You say I'm ignorant. Tell us what a gateway/entrance to the CBD deserves then, if not something better then the two above 'things'.