Negativity in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Negativity in Adelaide

#46 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 am

rev wrote:I'm all for legalised marijuana for personal use, as an industry, for medicinal use, as a substitute to paper, for use in clothes and whatever else that it can be used for that in forgetting. Imagine instead of destroying our forests, we turned parts of the desert into plantations with large glass houses growing marijuana.

I'm against the greens because they are against a lot of what I believe. Gun ownership for example.
I'm not in favour of any political party that exists at the moment. Some of what I believe may gel with each parties policies on that subject. I don't know I guess you could call me a centrist?
What the Marijuana Party won't tell you is that the recreational/medical plant is different to the rope/cloth/paper making plant. Fibre hemp has negligible amounts of THC in it and recreational hemp isn't much good for its fibre content.

Two different kinds of hemp which got swept up into a ban because of the cotton growers in the US fearing hemp would undercut their market.

Drug prohibition has an interesting history, with almost all bans having a secret agenda behind the hysteria in the US and then we just followed their example.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 am

Once, during Prohibition, i was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#48 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:34 pm

Wayno wrote:Once, during Prohibition, i was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
THE HUGE MANATEE!

serca
High Rise Poster!

#49 Post by serca » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Adelaide's employment backbone has always been manufacturing. Was there ever a plan B? The state government needs to be very calculated about what industry they help establish or grow here because manufacturing in the Western world is dying on it's ass. Large companies can not compete with South and South East Asia.

But I don't think the cheap labour is what is really going to kill manufacturing. Sooner than some people realise Artificial intelligence will put the nail in the coffin even in Asia. I don't know the exact statistics but in the US over the past 5 years Car manufacturing increased 20% while employment in car manufacturing fell 10%. I make this point because our focus needs to be elsewhere. Medicinal Marijuana is just one great idea. The Medical precinct another.

I see Rev's point. We are loosing a lot of our skilled & qualified workers to the eastern states or abroad. Just because someone states the facts doesn't mean its negative if it is true. My wife now is looking for work as a commercial property evaluator its not that she can't get a job there just aren't any here. Yet she is being offered Jobs interstate in numbers. Sad thing is many people in that position are leaving.

Adelaide has plenty going for it from the wine regions to the beaches , the festive season and much more. But the policies on maintaining the stagnant or even backwards engine room for the state has to change.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#50 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:21 am

That's the interesting thing in the US, manufacturing output is bigger than it has every been in dollars. It's just that there has been a move away from unskilled factory labour to skilled technological manufacturing. For some reason our state & Federal governments have either purposefully or incompetently pulling the various rugs out from under those sectors, sending them offshore. With various exceptions, like the medical research precinct. But the fundamental support structures like education and so on have been eroded while we chase short term, subsidised mineral exploitation.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Bloody hell - when did the inDaily comments section become just as depressing as the Advertiser one? Just an hour or so after the tram story was published...
This doesn't seem like a very good idea... all this is going to do is restrict traffic along North Terrace. I very much doubt it's going to take enough cars off the road to counteract that.
Are you kidding me? What a ludicrous waste of OUR money! There is a blinking stop just around the corner on North Terrace. Absolutely no need for this.
This sickening government can't provide safe and effective health services, education or child safety and have failed to fix our power security that THEY caused and now they want to waste our money on this BS. Heck!
What a joke in this so becoming fat country of ours surely a 100 mtr walk from the current Rundle St stop would be of more benefit to the community at large
I hardly think $20M is a small cost when our roads are damaged so much with the recent weather and they cannot even get the hospital finished without a fight!! Rome was built a lot more solid than our poor city at the moment and it was built wisely but at a horrible cost.

Waewick

#52 Post by Waewick » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Bloody hell - when did the inDaily comments section become just as depressing as the Advertiser one? Just an hour or so after the tram story was published...
This doesn't seem like a very good idea... all this is going to do is restrict traffic along North Terrace. I very much doubt it's going to take enough cars off the road to counteract that.
Are you kidding me? What a ludicrous waste of OUR money! There is a blinking stop just around the corner on North Terrace. Absolutely no need for this.
This sickening government can't provide safe and effective health services, education or child safety and have failed to fix our power security that THEY caused and now they want to waste our money on this BS. Heck!
What a joke in this so becoming fat country of ours surely a 100 mtr walk from the current Rundle St stop would be of more benefit to the community at large
I hardly think $20M is a small cost when our roads are damaged so much with the recent weather and they cannot even get the hospital finished without a fight!! Rome was built a lot more solid than our poor city at the moment and it was built wisely but at a horrible cost.
I think those who post there have worked out the rest of us don't read the advertiser.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I think it was "Fred" who made the move over around a year ago. It's gotten worse since then.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 am

Murdoch made all their websites pay per view, ABC.au news turned off their comments section, so maybe people are abandoning them for elsewhere?

[Shuz]

#55 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:29 am

I think its a sad reflection of the state of affairs that we have a thread titled Negativity in Adelaide. Not to sound politically correct but could we at least be much more positive and proactive about what Adelaide has going for it and to offer? I'll even make a new thread!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.