WA - who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: WA - who stole the cookies from the cookie jar?

#16 Post by Norman » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:30 am

Enough with the Perth bashing please. It's OK to be critical of aspects of the city, but I think that most of what's been posted lately is unreasonably harsh. We should focus the energy used on bashing other cities or whinging into improving our own city, so that we can be better than the rest.

bits
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by bits » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:33 am

Jaymz wrote: At it's height, there was approx. 40,000 new homes being built every year, with whole suburbs appearing in the space of a few years. The level of money pouring into Perth is something Adelaide could only dream of. On the flip side to this, towards the end of my time there Perth started to lose it "cruisy" feel, traffic congestion was a growing problem and it seemed like every place had a line-up when we went for a night out. The large country town now feels like a big city.
You make it sound like Perth population is just huge compared to Adelaide. I think they are still comparable, Perth is is bit over 50% larger.

Areas around Seafood Meadows, Sheidow Park, Mt Barker, Gawler, Mawson Lakes, Burton and Munno Para have all seen massive expansions in recent years.

Perths growth has been strong for a while, it doesn't seem that is warrants all the song and dance I see in this thread.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by Jaymz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:55 am

bits wrote:
Jaymz wrote: At it's height, there was approx. 40,000 new homes being built every year, with whole suburbs appearing in the space of a few years. The level of money pouring into Perth is something Adelaide could only dream of. On the flip side to this, towards the end of my time there Perth started to lose it "cruisy" feel, traffic congestion was a growing problem and it seemed like every place had a line-up when we went for a night out. The large country town now feels like a big city.
You make it sound like Perth population is just huge compared to Adelaide. I think they are still comparable, Perth is is bit over 50% larger.

Areas around Seafood Meadows, Sheidow Park, Mt Barker, Gawler, Mawson Lakes, Burton and Munno Para have all seen massive expansions in recent years.

Perths growth has been strong for a while, it doesn't seem that is warrants all the song and dance I see in this thread.

Exactly. And thankyou for helping to further prove my point. Let's say Perth was 1.5 times larger than Adelaide as you say (which is around the mark), then in a year that Perth builds 40,000 new homes, then Adelaide should build....say.... 26,000 or so if they were growing a the same rate. At BEST it was probably building 15,000. That's the difference.

And if we take the economy of WA and SA, with WA 1.5 times our population. SA State final demand roughly around $100 billion, WA around $250 billion........ or 2.5 times larger.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#19 Post by claybro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:10 pm

rev wrote:From Adelaide we don't need to fly to any other Aussie city to get to Europe.
From Beisbane Sydney and Melbourne they don't need to fly to any other Aussie city to get to Europe.
Even people from Darwin don't need to.

From Adelaide we can fly to Singapore Dubai Qatar Kuala Lumpar and on to Europe and elsewhere.

Why would I fly to Perth to go to Europe?
Maybe if the overall ticket cost was cheaper to fly to Perth domestic and go intentional from there, but how much cheaper would it be?
If you wish to fly via Singapore or Dubai that is up to you or anyone. If it wasn't viable for Qantas to do Perth London or Perth - Paris direct it wouldn't be planning it. Rest assured within a couple of years if you happen to be from Melbourne or Adelaide, are a quantas club member and have a business trip to Europe , you will be flying via Perth and not Changi or Dubai or Abu dabi, and surely that is better for the Australian economy if not just Perth.

ghs

#20 Post by ghs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:39 pm

As someone who has lived in both cities, one of the major differences between living in Adelaide and Perth
is the location. Next weekend I'll probably head over to Melbourne for the weekend and enjoy a well deserved
break. I'll go over on friday evening and fly back to Adelaide on sunday night. You can't do that from Perth, it's
too far away.

claybro

#21 Post by claybro » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:53 pm

ghs wrote:As someone who has lived in both cities, one of the major differences between living in Adelaide and Perth
is the location. Next weekend I'll probably head over to Melbourne for the weekend and enjoy a well deserved
break. I'll go over on friday evening and fly back to Adelaide on sunday night. You can't do that from Perth, it's
too far away.
Absolutely one of the things I miss mist about adelaide are the spontaneous sneaky weekend trips to Melbourne. But the proximity to Melbourne is one of Adelaides biggest problems in regard to head office locations and services such as telecoms flying their techs over for the day to carry out repairs. It is too easy to service adelaide out of Melbourne, and it is a big brain drain on Adelaides employment mix.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#22 Post by rev » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:26 am

claybro wrote:
rev wrote:From Adelaide we don't need to fly to any other Aussie city to get to Europe.
From Beisbane Sydney and Melbourne they don't need to fly to any other Aussie city to get to Europe.
Even people from Darwin don't need to.

From Adelaide we can fly to Singapore Dubai Qatar Kuala Lumpar and on to Europe and elsewhere.

Why would I fly to Perth to go to Europe?
Maybe if the overall ticket cost was cheaper to fly to Perth domestic and go intentional from there, but how much cheaper would it be?
If you wish to fly via Singapore or Dubai that is up to you or anyone. If it wasn't viable for Qantas to do Perth London or Perth - Paris direct it wouldn't be planning it. Rest assured within a couple of years if you happen to be from Melbourne or Adelaide, are a quantas club member and have a business trip to Europe , you will be flying via Perth and not Changi or Dubai or Abu dabi, and surely that is better for the Australian economy if not just Perth.
Who cares about Qantas? They don't consider Adelaide important enough for international flights so why would we fly to Perth out of all places to fly out of the country? We've got several options from right here in Adelaide.
And other options less than an hour away that again don't involve setting foot on a Qantas plane.
Qantas pulled the plug 3 years ago.

If it wasn't viable?
Qatar thought it was viable to have daily flights from Adelaide to within throwing distance of Dubai, on the Aussie Europe routes that are already well serviced. You can fly 45 min to Melbourne and catch other services to the region and Europe as well mind you.
They've cut back services so soon, not because of their claims of delayed new planes for their fleet but because many flights to Qatar are leaving almost empty.

Why am I going to fly 3 hours to Perth? And then 15 hours to Athens?
I can fly 7 hours to Singapore and spend only 11 hours to Athens for example.
That's a far better break up of the flying time.

Add in the extra hours for Melbourne and Sydney..
I appreciate Perth wanting to become a hub, but it makes little sense unless you want to spend a massive amount of time on a plane for the biggest stretch of the trip.

Adelaide to Perth 3 hours Perth to London 18 hours
Adelaide to Singapore 7 hours Singapore to London 13 hours

The less consecutive hours you have to spend on a long haul flight the better.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:34 pm

rev wrote: They've cut back services so soon, not because of their claims of delayed new planes for their fleet but because many flights to Qatar are leaving almost empty.

Not sure what you base that on. The latest figures are actually quite positive, the plane is 35% full inbound and 70% full outbound in its second month. Oh, and those figures include Business Class seats.

To compare, the national load rates for Qatar were 60% and 89% respectively.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Jaymz » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm hoping to travel to Europe middle of next year, and i'll give Qatar a go if they're still around.

A friend of mine used them to get to Egypt from Adelaide recently, and had good things to say about the plane and service.

claybro

#25 Post by claybro » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:37 pm

Rev, I tend to agree that 17/18 hours on one flight is a bit much for many. But you have sidetracked as you asked for specific examples of what people in WA do besides dig stuff up. I have given you some specific examples of what is actually quite a robust and diverse economy, and if Qantas or anyone else choose to make Perth a hub, as appears to be the case, it matters not how you chose to fly. There are any business customers that will like getting on a direct flight in Perth, going to sleep in their business class Skybed, and not be interrupted mid flight to traipse throug Changi hoping their connection works ok in the middle of the night. If it works for Qantus, you can be sure others will follow.

ghs

#26 Post by ghs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Singapore Airlines flew direct from Singapore to New York (about 18 hours) however the service was canceled in 2013 and
hasn't been resumed since. It was the longest aeroplane route in the world at the time.

If a direct flight between two big cities like Singapore and New York is not sustainable then I doubt that Perth - London
would work, given that Perth is a smaller city.

Nathan

#27 Post by Nathan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:17 pm

ghs wrote:Singapore Airlines flew direct from Singapore to New York (about 18 hours) however the service was canceled in 2013 and
hasn't been resumed since. It was the longest aeroplane route in the world at the time.

If a direct flight between two big cities like Singapore and New York is not sustainable then I doubt that Perth - London
would work, given that Perth is a smaller city.
Singapore is actually going to be restarting their NY and LA non-stop routes once they receive their new A350s in 2018. I thought the longest current route was the Qantas Sydney – Dallas route (just shy of of 17hrs on an A380), but a quick check shows Emirates launched an Auckland – Dubai route in March which clocks in at 17hr 15min.

ghs

#28 Post by ghs » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:56 pm

One of the problems with London - Perth is that if the aeroplance couldn't land in Perth due to weather
conditions it would then have divert here to Adelaide which would be like 21 hours :)