Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Do you support de - regulation of shop trading hours ?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Deregulation of Shop Trading Hours

#16 Post by [Shuz] » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:38 am

SDA's tactics in recruiting membership is downright dodgy and shady. They excel at preying on uninformed young adults who couldn't give two rats about unionism and just work for a wage. And then claim that their acting in their best interests when really they're just screwing them over even more and lining the pockets of the fat cats up top... cough Malinouskas cough. And half the SA Labor Party.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by bits » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:39 am

Lucky we have the few members of Sensational Adelaide that personally know all 30,000 members. The 30,000 should be so lucky a few arm chair experts can tell them all the illogical wrong things they do, such as joining and remaining in a union that is working directly against their wishes.

Or perhaps the 30,000 members actually joined and remain in the union because they wanted to, are generally happy with their work and feel accurately represented.

Stop thinking you are a super human above everyone else. 30,000 people are not stupid while you are the only smart one.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by SRW » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:40 pm

This is probably taking it off-topic, but on the SDA: I'm sure most of the membership are satisfied enough with SDA's role in enterprise bargaining and individual advocacy. But do you really think that the SDA leadership's (right wing, Catholic) positions against equal marriage + adoption, euthanasia, abortion rights etc is reflective of their (often young) membership?
Keep Adelaide Weird

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Hooligan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Would longer shopping hours equal more profit for shops, or would it just increase a shops operating costs just to give customers more convenience? and therefore a higher cost for goods and services to customers for that extra convenience?

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Hooligan wrote:Would longer shopping hours equal more profit for shops, or would it just increase a shops operating costs just to give customers more convenience? and therefore a higher cost for goods and services to customers for that extra convenience?
Pretty much the later.

Just because shops are open longer, doesn't mean people magically have more money to spend. So the retailers are making around the same turnover with the higher costs of labour and open-hours-overheads.

It's convenience at a cost. Also big retailers tend to use extended hours to stamp out the smaller retailers.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:29 pm

I don't mind regulation in the normal suburban locations, but I was enraged when I discovered Glenelg trading hours had been regulated. WTF were the government thinking?

Also the current restrictions in the City are a bad thing. Forcing the shops to shut at 9pm and not reopen until around the time the last train leaves is another of those little decisions (like the plastic bag ban) which together make Adelaide more car dependent.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by HiTouch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:08 am

Aidan wrote:I don't mind regulation in the normal suburban locations, but I was enraged when I discovered Glenelg trading hours had been regulated. WTF were the government thinking?
One word, unions.
Also the current restrictions in the City are a bad thing. Forcing the shops to shut at 9pm and not reopen until around the time the last train leaves is another of those little decisions (like the plastic bag ban) which together make Adelaide more car dependent.
Nothing wrong with being a motor city. Just look at Detroit. One of the most beautiful cities of this modern age.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by citywatcher » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 pm

rev wrote:So have you gone out and asked every small business to know and be able to say with certainty what you're saying?

read my post carefully.
Im in favour of allowing businesses to operate at any time they like. Complete unrestricted trading hours.
That's starkly different to your assertion that businesses should be forced to open.

The market will sort it self out.
Those businesses that there is a demand for after regular hours will open and thrive those who don't have demand won't.
Arrant nonsense

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#24 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 am

citywatcher wrote:
rev wrote:So have you gone out and asked every small business to know and be able to say with certainty what you're saying?

read my post carefully.
Im in favour of allowing businesses to operate at any time they like. Complete unrestricted trading hours.
That's starkly different to your assertion that businesses should be forced to open.

The market will sort it self out.
Those businesses that there is a demand for after regular hours will open and thrive those who don't have demand won't.
Arrant nonsense
Citywatcher, you could be right, you could be wrong, but just stating "arrant nonsense" is not an argument. Explain where Rev is wrong or right.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by citywatcher » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

I think others have done a good enough job of that and I have already quoted the relevant posts

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 am

citywatcher wrote:I think others have done a good enough job of that and I have already quoted the relevant posts
So if you had nothing new to add to the discussion why resurrect it after a month?

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by citywatcher » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Sorry
Next time I'll get your permission to comment on something

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by monotonehell » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm

citywatcher wrote:Sorry
Next time I'll get your permission to comment on something
In triplicate, please. ;)

Maybe I'm just a little grumpy today, sorry.

potsandpans
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#29 Post by potsandpans » Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 pm

I really think Adelaide needs to deregulate shopping hours. I think it will encourage jobs growth, economic growth and add to the vibrancy of our city, in a time where we want all three to be increasing. I read an article (which I can't seem to find) that listed the benefits of deregulating shopping hours and how it would affect the economy in a good way. Does anyone know of similar articles?

My dream would be to see shopping strips like Rundle Mall and Jetty Road Glenelg, and shopping centres like Westfield Marion open until 9pm every night (or even later). Not all shops have to open later, but at least there would be the option. I myself am not even a big shopper, but I know lots of people are, and at least there would be the option, if people wanted to. I'm sure if shops/restaurants were open later, tourists would spend more as well.

This is something else I can't understand in our modern world... if someone works 9-5, when they get home most shops are closed. If they need to buy an item/product, there is a high chance they are just going to order whatever they need online and get it in a day or two, instead of waiting till late night shopping. And I'm sure families don't really enjoy cramming their weekends with all the shopping they need for the week. Why not allow physical shops to be more competitive against online shopping by deregulating shopping hours?

This topic is a passion of mine, sorry if I rambled on!

bits
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by bits » Wed May 31, 2017 7:13 pm

The large shops are already open Monday to Friday until 9pm.
Small shops already have very few limitations to trading hours, they close because they want to.