Tram and South Rd closed - for a worrying reason

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

Re: Tram and South Rd closed - for a worrying reason

#16 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:13 am

HeapsGood wrote:
OlympusAnt wrote::shock: :shock:

there's no easy fix for that either

How long do you reckon?

Seems to me they would be better off to just to remove the section entirely, close down the bike path, let traffic flow as normal, get their shit together, then come back one weekend and attack it.
depends on how long they want to take
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:45 am

Does anyone know the cause yet? Why this infrastructure would suddenly tilt without an earthquake type event. It should be built to withstand an earthquake in any case.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:56 pm

That's what made me wonder about failure of the expansion joint due to, well, thermal expansion.

Or....has a(n albeit very) tall vehicle hit it overnight and driven off?

How does this happen:
without an external force being applied? From the pictures there's no visible movement or cracking in the concrete piers but then again there's no visible impact damage either...

Has the joint been installed in such a way that with each expansion and contraction cycle the rubber block shifts slightly before finally reaching a point where the center of gravity of the beam has moved enough for it to topple?

It's like a very poor episode of Murder She Wrote. But with bridges. And no murders.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AG » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:33 pm

The type of failure evident here is an torsional displacement about the main longitudinal axis. It is true that the beam would contract and expand due to thermal variations (hence the flexible bearings at each end to accommodate this), however the expansion and contraction would happen along the length rather than the width of the beam.

Because of the tall and narrow length of the beam, it's possible any significant eccentric (off centre) loading such as the side barriers may have contributed to the beam rotating as well, although not necessarily the cause of the failure in the first place.

(Structural engineer involved in other bridge projects)

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by OlympusAnt » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 pm

what's the fix?
Follow me on Flickr

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by Goodsy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:43 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:what's the fix?
pick up that section with a crane and put it back down I guess?

bits
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by bits » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:40 pm

Llessur2002 wrote: How does this happen:
I think you need to see all contact points that have or had a force being applied.
I could imagine the rest of the structure somewhat twisting and picking up the piece and placing it down in to this position. Over a long period of time. In fact this looks a repeated lift up, move right, place down, move left kind of movement.

1)The tram weight might lift and move parts at the other end of a section it is currently on. Vibrations would assist movement.

2)Or the main support from underneath where the tram part just has a lot more play to accept the movement or the current movement just flukes that it isn't impacting the tram bridge contact points as badly or it has huge problems also which we just do not know about yet. You need to consider those uprights as a full 3d object which can twist and manipulate all kinds of ways.

3)Or perhaps the force is coming from the horizontal up there where the end(s) twist and drags the center piece wherever it is going due to how it is fixed together or just pressure coming inwards to the center.

4)Or mount points are failing and the structure has an unbalanced weight load which causes it to want to twist under its own weight which it can no longer correctly hold.

Main point is I think the picture is showing you the result of somewhere else which moved.
Last edited by bits on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:51 am, edited 6 times in total.

bits
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by bits » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

There is a cement patch work where it looks like the "floating" center beam has hit/crushed. Is that brand new work this week? Or has this bridge moved heavily to that side, hitting before and is now moving back but this time without its little foot block coming with?

Llessur2002

#24 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:46 am

bits wrote:There is a cement patch work where it looks like the "floating" center beam has hit/crushed. Is that brand new work this week? Or has this bridge moved heavily to that side, hitting before and is now moving back but this time without its little foot block coming with?
Also wondered about that, but maybe it was damaged during installation?

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am

Streetview could hold the answer to the age of the patch, or at least give a few clues as to when it appeared..
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002

#26 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 am

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:47 pm

Temporary repairs are expected to be completed overnight, and be open to traffic Saturday.

Also on the lighter side:
Adelaide's broken South Road bridge put on eBay, passes $100k in bids
A satirical selling of Adelaide's broken South Road bridge has attracted more than $100,000 in bids and hysterical comments.

The eBay listing describes the bridge as "a little wonky but still has plenty of life in it" and boasts the bridge will "make a great farm bridge for getting those milkers across the creek". "You will need to bring a couple of mates with trolley jacks," the ad also stated.

Bids started a $1 but have since skyrocketed as people got in on the joke. One prospective buyer asked, "Will you swap it for my '86 VL Holden Commodore" to get the reply: "Has it got mags?"

The South Road bridge is expected to have temporary repairs completed overnight. South Road, from Anzac Highway to Cross Road, was closed to traffic on Wednesday morning after fallen debris from the bridge was found. The area is expected to be reopened to traffic Saturday.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-20/a ... 0k/8197992
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by OlympusAnt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:11 pm

South Rd is back open again
Follow me on Flickr

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by BillD » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

Here's a shot of one of three temporary bracing brackets which have been fitted to the overpass. Large-diameter threaded rods run from these brackets up through holes drilled through the footpath deck where they are fixed to secure the path. Wooden wedges have also been installed between the beams and the beam's supporting structures.
During the work, Laser distance measuring equipment watched for further movement in either of the two beams which have rotated/shifted.

Bill.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:40 pm

Should we be concerned or is this a classic case of fear mongering?

"WATCH: An urgent safety check on the O-Bahn tunnel amid revelations of a link to the crippled South Road overpass."

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/823796180878430209