Australia Day - Change the date, or keep it the same?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: Australia Day - Change the date, or keep it the same?

#31 Post by bits » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:13 am

SRW wrote: But those who are engaging in the debate to resist a shift from specifically January 26 need to be clear of their reasoning of why Australia Day must be tethered to it.
People are celebrating the cities that were built, the government system, the civil order, the life expectancy and endless things which are directly linked to the arrival of the English.
People are celebrating the current modern Australia which has a whole lot to do with the settlement and then development of Australia.
The celebration is directly of the English settlement, it makes sense to do that on the day it began.

You can move the date to May 8 and the celebration would still be celebrating what the English did to/for Australia.
You can not disconnect the reality of what happened and why it happened.

To remove the importance of January 26 removes most all of the Australian history that people want to celebrate.

Basically no one in the country is celebrating the arrival of the Aboriginals and removal of any previous occupants.
Or the wandering, hunter gatherer society. The aboriginal languages or the diet. Or any primitive tools they had made. Or any primitive huts they built.
That is history but it isn't history people are commonly wanting to celebrate.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#32 Post by rev » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am

bits wrote:
SRW wrote: But those who are engaging in the debate to resist a shift from specifically January 26 need to be clear of their reasoning of why Australia Day must be tethered to it.
People are celebrating the cities that were built, the government system, the civil order, the life expectancy and endless things which are directly linked to the arrival of the English.
People are celebrating the current modern Australia which has a whole lot to do with the settlement and then development of Australia.
The celebration is directly of the English settlement, it makes sense to do that on the day it began.

You can move the date to May 8 and the celebration would still be celebrating what the English did to/for Australia.
You can not disconnect the reality of what happened and why it happened.

To remove the importance of January 26 removes most all of the Australian history that people want to celebrate.

Basically no one in the country is celebrating the arrival of the Aboriginals and removal of any previous occupants.
Or the wandering, hunter gatherer society. The aboriginal languages or the diet. Or any primitive tools they had made. Or any primitive huts they built.
That is history but it isn't history people are commonly wanting to celebrate.
Look at this racism. The intolerance.
The belief and attitude that you are better then others, and that they are lesser then you, beneath you and insignificant.
I like how you've included us all in you ur intolerant racist complex about the indigenous people of our country.
Speak for your self.

The fact there are people like you, and that other racist ghs still in our society who feel it's ok to be openly racist in public places, shows there's still a problem in this country.

And here I was, and I bet most others on here, thinking we were around tolerant mature people.
Seems some of you have become comfortable enough that you think your racism and intolerance will be tolerated.

bits
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by bits » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 am

rev wrote: Look at this racism. The intolerance.
The belief and attitude that you are better then others, and that they are lesser then you, beneath you and insignificant.
I would love to know what you think is racist about saying that the English brought modern society to Australia and that most celebrate that modern society on Australia Day.

And I love that the guy that called me a "piss ant" just a few weeks ago is now telling me I have "belief and attitude that you are better then others, and that they are lesser then you, beneath you and insignificant."

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:25 am

Maybe we should rename the current Australia Day to Britain Day and then hold a new Australia Day later in the year?

It would require very little work on anyone's behalf - we could either cut the top left bit out of any existing memorabilia with flags on it or simply blot out the superfluous bits with a marker pen.

Simples.

[Shuz]

#35 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:35 am

Lets have an Australia Day, Britian Day, Indigenous Day, Republic Day, Commonwealth Day, Empire Day, Imperial Day, Reconciliation Day, Torres Strait Islander Day, Multicultural Day...

Everyone satisfied now?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#36 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am

[Shuz] wrote:Lets have an Australia Day, Britian Day, Indigenous Day, Republic Day, Commonwealth Day, Empire Day, Imperial Day, Reconciliation Day, Torres Strait Islander Day, Multicultural Day...

Everyone satisfied now?
Britian Day might cause some confusion. :wink:

bits
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by bits » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:47 am

Llessur2002 wrote:Maybe we should rename the current Australia Day to Britain Day and then hold a new Australia Day later in the year?

It would require very little work on anyone's behalf - we could either cut the top left bit out of any existing memorabilia with flags on it or simply blot out the superfluous bits with a marker pen.

Simples.
We could have a multicultural day to celebrate the people from all corners of the world that are now in Australia. Maybe call it Harmony Day and celebrate it on I don't know March 21?
Clearly there is a huge appetite for celebration if such a day existed.

Plus we could have an entire week in something like July devoted to the Aboriginals people and culture!

Then still maybe have a day to celebrate the joint venture between Aboriginal and English people that started on January 26 to create the infracsturture, culture and society we know and love now.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#38 Post by rev » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:26 pm

bits wrote:
rev wrote: Look at this racism. The intolerance.
I would love to know what you think is racist about saying that the English brought modern society to Australia and that most celebrate that modern society on Australia Day.

And I love that the guy that called me a "piss ant" just a few weeks ago is now telling me I have "belief and attitude that you are better then others, and that they are lesser then you, beneath you and insignificant."
Half expected you to cherry pick, but lol anyway.

Your post basically dismisses the indigenous people of this land as insignificant and a non-entity, as if they aren't part of modern Australia.
You dismiss over 40,000 years of history, of their civilization. Just because their civilization and their way of life was different doesn't make it any less significant.

They managed to survive on this same land for over 40,000 years, without a big city, while maintaining the eco systems around them.
In 200 years we've destroyed much of the natural ecosystems that our cities and towns are built on.

Australia day is about every Australian. Not just your perception of your Anglo Saxon culture being superior to one of the oldest cultures and peoples of not only this country but this entire planet.

It's ok, no need to reply. You've established your self as a racist already. You wont dig your self out of that hole.

claybro

#39 Post by claybro » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:41 pm

rev wrote:It's ok, no need to reply. You've established your self as a racist already. You wont dig your self out of that hole.
Oh come on Rev. Your PC vitriol is actually as offensive to me as Bits supposed racist overtone.
Now for a reality check.
Most Australians of European/ Asian/ Middle Eastern ancestry, whilst sympathising with the plight of Aboriginals, do not really care enough to take direct action to help with the actual problems at hand.
Most have never travelled to an Aboriginal settlement.
Most of the above don't really find anything remarkable about an ancient people, wandering an empty land, using often violent means to assert their claim over their various regions within the land. All cultures from every region of the world evolved from such tribes, with mythical spiritual connections to the land. Most moved on. Why not celebrate every ancient culture in the world? Or each separate Aboriginal nation. (they are not one people you know)
Most Australians and tourists encounters with Aboriginals unfortunately are by being abused by brawling drunks in the park or on public transport.
Most Australians realise that governments saying sorry, or changing dates, or having white people acknowledging ancient custodians or having welcome to country ceremonies do nothing to actually solve the problems of rape, murder, child abuse in the lands controlled by the very people we are trying to appease.
Most Australians, truth be known probably don't really care on which day Australia day is celebrated either. its just a day to relax in the sun and be thankful for living in an amazing country.
Rev, I'm sorry you don't like that our big cities have destroyed much of the natural ecosystem, but may I suggest, that it is not feasible for Aboriginal folk to be wandering around still setting fire to the bush either. If you are so offended by our development as a modern nation, there are plenty of Aboriginal settlements in remote areas you might like.
Sorry if you find me also a racist, but I am all for equality for every individual residing in this great country, and for every individual to take responsibility for their own situation, and not to make people feel guilty for having a different point of view.

Nathan

#40 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm

claybro wrote:If you are so offended by our development as a modern nation, there are plenty of Aboriginal settlements in remote areas you might like.
Can we stop the variously worded 'love it or leave it' instructions? Whatever your argument is, it's dismissive, makes a complicated issue black & white, implies that that one issue is critical in where someone chooses to live, and suggests everyone must conform to one set of opinions.

Waewick

#41 Post by Waewick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 pm

I'm indiferent to the date, so having it changed wouldn't concern me.

I would like it changed to celebrate republic day and a new flag though.