Interactive maps of the former tramway network

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Will409
Legendary Member!

Interactive maps of the former tramway network

#1 Post by Will409 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 pm

It's been a while since I last posted here!

Recently for the Tramway Museum, St Kilda website, I have been working on a series of interactive maps detailing the former tramway network. Not just on a line by line basis but by a stop by stop basis. This information has been collected from the 1951 and 1953 copies of the Tramway Street Directory and Field Guide issued to the tram crews of the day. These books have been borrowed out of the Museum's archive to compile the information. In addition, photos taken at each stop (where available) have been added, also from the Museum archives.

Attached below are the direct Google Map links. Only three of the maps have been completed so far with the Western, Port Adelaide and Trolley Bus lines still to come. Enjoy!

Northern Lines (Cheltenham, Prospect, Enfield, Walkerville North, St Peters and Paradise).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00002&z=13

Eastern Lines (Morialta, Magill, Kensington Gardens, Erindale, Burnside and Linden Park).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 00004&z=13

Southern Lines (Glen Osmond, Fullarton/Springfield, Kingswood, Mitcham, Hyde Park and Col Light Gardens).
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 99995&z=13
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

Re: Interactive maps of the former tramway network

#2 Post by Goodsy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 am

amazing that one used to go all the way to Paradise, although it was probably traveling through farmland back then. I wonder if it would be worth rebuilding that line to take some load off the O-Bahn

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 am

Why, oh why, did we rip up the tram network!? It was so extensive!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Uncle Monty
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Uncle Monty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Some of those photos at the stops are incredible, compared to how those same roads and intersections look today. Fascinating maps and a great idea, thanks for posting.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Fantastic resource, Will!

Looking at the Cheltenham line, does anyone know why the Hawker St bridge over the Gawler Line was removed? Surely once the tramlines were ripped up, it would have been useful for cars.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by timtam20292 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Stupid government at the time ripping them all out :wallbash:

Thank you for posting this, very interesting :applause:

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by OlympusAnt » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:13 pm

thanks for this - makes me want to go out and recreate these shots :applause: :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

arki
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by arki » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Amazing work! I was so surprised to see that a stub ran to Unley Oval along Oxford Tce.

Did the Goodwood Road tram ran under the underpass or over the top?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 am

arki wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:08 pm
Amazing work! I was so surprised to see that a stub ran to Unley Oval along Oxford Tce.

Did the Goodwood Road tram ran under the underpass or over the top?
wikipedia wrote:...The road continues through the so-called "Goodwood" Subway, (adjacent to the Millswood Railway Station). This is a deep road underpass which has double-lane traffic in both directions, and an elevated pedestrian walkway along the western wall. It was originally built for the Goodwood Road tram traffic to pass safely under the Belair Railway Line and the main Adelaide-Melbourne Railway Line. Although the trams stopped travelling along Goodwood Road, and the tracks were removed, many decades ago, the subway continues to provide grade-separation between a very busy arterial road and a railway line with long, slow freight trains...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by mshagg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:11 am

There's a pretty tired piece on the ABC news site today about Adelaide's "biggest cock ups", but it did include this absolute belter of a shot showing a tram under the millswood underpass whilst a train passes overhead:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-24/t ... ss/8813884

Will409
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Will409 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 am

Sorry for the delay but the fourth map of the former Adelaide tramway network is now available after several months of work. This particular map covering the western suburbs lines (Findon, Henley Beach, Hilton/Richmond, Wayville West and Glenelg as well as the various tramway loops and sidings provided at Wayville Showgrounds, Morphettville Racecourse, Colley Terrace, Franklin Street Loop, West Terrace and Deviation Road. Once again (where possible), photos from the Tramway Museum archive have been used to illustrate each individual tram stop. With this map, the entire former City network is now available to be explored online.

The direct link to the Google map can be found below and the map is also publicly available now on the Tramway Museum, St Kilda website at www.trammuseumadelaide.com

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 26165&z=13

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:37 pm

Would you be able to do that in one map all together?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Amazing work there, and such detailed information. Thank you for the hard work Will, you should be commended for it.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Will409 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:36 pm

The maps were designed to fit the Tramway Museum website history section which has the lines based on geographical direction, hence the four seperate maps. With all of the information for the main system now collated, it won’t be much work at all to transfer the data to a new, whole system map. Watch this space....

Thank you for the kind comments everyone, I’m glad you all enjoy these maps.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Will409 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:44 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:37 pm
Would you be able to do that in one map all together?
It took a little bit longer than I had planned but the full combined map is now available to view. 21 tram routes (routes 1 and 2 out of the 23 were Hackney and City Depot runs respectively), around 440 tram stops and possibly 1200-1300 photos are included in this map. A small addition I have made compared to the previously released maps has been the location of the various signal boxes that were located around the CBD as well as in the Northern Parklands. The Flinders Street Loop has also been added.

I hope everyone enjoys looking through the full network!

MTT Electric Lines:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... c9Lw6CAXJp