Incomplete roads

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Incomplete roads

#1 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 pm

Name any incompleted roads. Morphett Road?

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Incomplete roads

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:12 pm

Sudholz Road? I think it it is...supposed to connect with Elder Smith Driver.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am

Sudholz turns into Walkleys Road. But you can see where the alignment would run to Main North Road.
Elder Smith would have to be realigned to meet it.

Montague Road seems to abruptly end just before the North East Road/Golden Grove Road intersection.
Not sure what the volume of traffic is through there, would North East Road going over the top of Golden Grove road, and on/off ramps from Montague and Golden Grove Roads be worthwhile, with Montague and GG Roads aligning in a T-junction below a North East Road overpass/bridge?

There's the alignment obvious between Bridge Road and Churchill Road North..I think that might have had something to do with the MATS plan or the PREXY?

Not sure what you mean by Morphett road? Where's it supposed to run to?
A tunnel could be an option, but in this day and age with terrorism I think it's advisable to avoid a motor vehicle tunnel under an international airport.

James Congdon Drive should be widened to 2 planes each way the full length.
It should be linked directly with Deacon Avenue, which should along with Moss Ave/Ritchie Tce(parallel to each other), Birdwood Tce/Mcarthur Ave(parallel to each other), Osborne & Birkalla Terraces(parallel to each other) be realigned as a new north-west corridor between Port Road and Anzac Highway/Cross Road. Over/under pass at Marion Road and South Road.

Military Road between Henley Beach South and West Beach.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Goodsy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 am

rev wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am
Sudholz turns into Walkleys Road. But you can see where the alignment would run to Main North Road.
that alignment runs all the way to Port Wakefield road.

makes me wonder if they regret letting that retirement village get built near bridge road, now that they could have another east/west connection to the northern connector (if they built an interchange at Globe Derby)
Last edited by Goodsy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Eurostar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:50 am

rev wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:22 am

Montague Road seems to abruptly end just before the North East Road/Golden Grove Road intersection.
Not sure what the volume of traffic is through there, would North East Road going over the top of Golden Grove road, and on/off ramps from Montague and Golden Grove Roads be worthwhile, with Montague and GG Roads aligning in a T-junction below a North East Road overpass/bridge?

There's the alignment obvious between Bridge Road and Churchill Road North..I think that might have had something to do with the MATS plan or the PREXY?

Not sure what you mean by Morphett road? Where's it supposed to run to?
A tunnel could be an option, but in this day and age with terrorism I think it's advisable to avoid a motor vehicle tunnel under an international airport.

James Congdon Drive should be widened to 2 planes each way the full length.
It should be linked directly with Deacon Avenue, which should along with Moss Ave/Ritchie Tce(parallel to each other), Birdwood Tce/Mcarthur Ave(parallel to each other), Osborne & Birkalla Terraces(parallel to each other) be realigned as a new north-west corridor between Port Road and Anzac Highway/Cross Road. Over/under pass at Marion Road and South Road.

Military Road between Henley Beach South and West Beach.

According to my 1936 street directory Fosters Road was meant to go further north towards Bridge Road.

I meant the southern end, Morphett Road ends in Seacombe Heights, beyond Gulfview Road its drawn in many street directories to go further south, one is a fire track only, further south it got called Adams Road. It even lines up with Panalatinga Road. I was thinking if Morphett Road did go through to Panalatinga Road how much traffic it would of took off of Ocean Boulevard and Main South Road.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Nathan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:46 am

Frome St (both the original widening, and the bikeway).

bits
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by bits » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm

McIntyre Road connecting to Modbury Freeway.
Seems a lot of the roads for the North East are not finished and have land reserved.
Sudholz, Montague, McIntyre.

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Alyx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm

No Through Road.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Eurostar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Alyx wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 pm
No Through Road.
Smartie

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Eurostar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:33 pm

Some roads that puzzle me:

WHITES ROAD

Whites Road runs between Diment Road and Waterloo Corner Road, for some reason instead of a crossroad and it going straight on, it starts again bit north west , does curve, straightens out again runs till Kings Road, starts again after the river area, running till Shepardson Road. Starts again west of Port Wakefield Road ending in Globe Derby Park area.

MARTINS ROAD

Starts at Port Wakefield Road, heads towards Hollywood Plaza. Starts again north west of Burton Road roundabout.

HELPS ROAD

Starts at intersection of Waterloo Corner Road, heads towards the freight line then appears to stop at the raaf base. Did it go further towards Argent Road or was it planned to before the raaf base was established?

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Goodsy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:18 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:33 pm
Some roads that puzzle me:

WHITES ROAD

Whites Road runs between Diment Road and Waterloo Corner Road, for some reason instead of a crossroad and it going straight on, it starts again bit north west , does curve, straightens out again runs till Kings Road, starts again after the river area, running till Shepardson Road. Starts again west of Port Wakefield Road ending in Globe Derby Park area.

MARTINS ROAD

Starts at Port Wakefield Road, heads towards Hollywood Plaza. Starts again north west of Burton Road roundabout.

HELPS ROAD

Starts at intersection of Waterloo Corner Road, heads towards the freight line then appears to stop at the raaf base. Did it go further towards Argent Road or was it planned to before the raaf base was established?
they were probably all dirt roads that were all dead straight 50 or 60 years ago that connected farms together and they've all been realigned over the years.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 am

Torrens Road. It basically ends as a dead end suburban street in Rosewater.

Surprisingly looking at Google Maps, it actually aligns perfectly with Coburg Road which connects with Grand Junction Road. The only thing stopping Torrens and Coburg Roads joining are the railway lines. I wonder what the reasoning was to split the two roads and not duplicate decades ago?, maybe the intersection would've been too close to Port Road and Grand Junction Roads perhaps?

metro
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by metro » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Cross Keys Rd.

Starts at the Intersection of Port Wakefield and Montague, ends at Park Tce, Salisbury. The two ends separated by about 4.5km of Mawson Lakes and Parafield Airport. I'm not sure about the history of the road, but it looks like it may have once connected or was planned to connect all the way through as the section of road between Montague and Levels Rd is a 4 lane main road (same as South Rd in places) just with hardly any traffic. The Northern end around Salisbury has a much greater amount of traffic yet is only 1 lane each way, but there is land to widen the road if needed.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Cross Keys Road used to run across Parafield Airport. In the early 70's, I was told by an old Air Traffic Controller that the road was still present in the 1960's but there was a fence and telephone at each runway. When you got to the fence, you used the telephone to ask the tower for permission to cross the runway. If granted, you opened the gate and the drove across. Needless to say the process took so long that nobody used it.

Walkley's road was supposed to bend to the east and then cross Bridge Road, Main North Road, Parafield airport (just short of the runway), Salisbury Highway and join Port Wakefield Road. The road reserve from Montague Rd to Bridge Rd is still present and is used as a recreational reserve. There is a narrow reserve (now wetlands) from Bridge Rd to Main North Rd. The section across Parafield Airport has now been earmarked as an industrial estate. The road reserve from the airport to Salisbury Highway is still present and forms a buffer between Mawson Lakes and Parafield Gardens. There remains a wide road reserve along Ryans Rd to Port Wakefield Rd.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Eurostar » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 pm

How old is the bridge and was it part of South Road prior to the Southern Expressway interchange?
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-21-21-30-32.png
Screenshot_2017-08-21-21-30-32.png (617.93 KiB) Viewed 8307 times