2018 South Australian State Election

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who will receive your first preference vote in the 2018 State Election?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:28 am

Labor
73%
Liberal
10%
SA Best
4%
Greens
2%
Nationals
No votes
Conservatives
4%
Dignity
4%
One Nation
No votes
Independent
No votes
Other
2%

Total votes: 49

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: 2018 South Australian State Election

#361 Post by Jaymz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:35 pm

mshagg wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 am
Nort wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Couple this with a Federal Government who has only been forced to acknowledge south Australia's existence on account of a troublesome premier in weatherill and it's a recipe for a bad time. Not even Pyne can keep the SA liberal family safe from being steamrolled by powerful NSW liberal interests.
Yep, and now that S.A only represents 7% of Australia's population (even less than that as % share of national GDP) and declining, that's about the only current reason we were being acknowledged. Last year we also lost another Federal seat and if not turned around, then let's hope we can at least hold our own from here on in. Let's give them a chance for 4 years.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#362 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:41 pm

As a staunch Labor supporter, I'm obviously disappointed and concerned about the outcome of the election - although, whilst it is obviously Labor's party-line at the moment, I think some comfort can genuinely be taken in the fact that a 16 year old government wasn't completely steamrollered in this election, and that the Labor vote largely held (or in many electorates increased) over 2014's. Coupled with a new leader (hopefully Malinauskas) and perhaps an underwhelming term by the Liberal party and we're on a good footing to regain control in 2022.

That said, the situation is what it is and I am hoping on some level to be surprised by what the Liberals have to offer. Whilst most of what I have heard so far has, *in my opinion*, been fairly lackluster or even backward-thinking, there are a few snippets which I will be watching to see if they can bring about something resembling positive change.

1) Deregulation of shopping hours. Whilst I don't believe this will be any form of magic bullet which encourages greater spending overall, I also don't think it will be the small-business crushing move that it has been made out to be. Nor do I believe that workers will be forced to work longer hours - the extra shifts will be filled by those who are able and willing to work them. It will remove one of the key points which makes Adelaide feel a little bit behind the times.

2) Encouraging reuse of empty above ground-level space in CBD buildings. If allowed to be rezoned as residential then this could give a nice (and interesting) boost to apartment space within the CBD and lead to 24-hour populations in places which have traditionally been dead outside of business/retail hours.

3) An independent infrastructure assessment body for South Australia, if truly independent (and that's the big if), could be a sensible move which would focus infrastructure spending where it will have the greatest positive effect (whether there will actually be any spending is another story). Plus, the body might do a better job of producing business cases and help to attract Federal investment. Of course, it could just be a token body installed by the Liberals to provide an excuse for not building any further infrastructure - time will tell.

4) The Liberals might be more open to private investment in our public transport system - for example the Downer proposal for the airport tram. Yes, the Libs ruled this out at the election but when the money starts being waved and the backhanders are exchanged then they may be more receptive...

5) In the short term the Liberals might have a bit more sway with the feds to attract funding for completion of the north-south corridor.

6) Haese likes trams and I believe will continue to lobby the State Government for a North Adelaide tram to boost the value of and potential for the Le Cornu site. If, in the next four years, the Libs make any move on this (although I personally feel this is unlikely) it would still be a good addition to our tram network and comparable to a single term Labor investment in the network. I presume the likelihood of this will be hugely dependent on what the existing business case shows. I hold out no hope for the CBD loop.

7) Not an economic game changer but the proposed Glenthorne National Park and the opening up of reservoirs for recreational activities isn't a bad proposal.

8) Gallery aside, the Libs' plan for the old RAH site is broadly similar to that of Labor's so at least we're not facing the not-unimaginable prospect of it being dusted off and reopened as a private hospital for conservative veterans or the like. The decision to move Le Cordon Bleu there rather than letting them contribute to 199-200 North Terrace is a bizarre one and I personally feel the Aboriginal Art Gallery will be less of a tourist drawcard than something bold along the lines of MONA but at least the vision for the site remains largely unchanged.

That's it really. There are so many policies which frustrate, upset and genuinely confuse me but I can't do anything to change the situation for another four years so I'm going to focus on the above and at least try to hold on to some small nuggets of hope that all good things won't suddenly grind to a halt.

Nort

#363 Post by Nort » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:52 pm

mshagg wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:46 am
Nort wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Hopefully they were right. I don't think so and am worried what is going to happen the next few years, but in my mind the best possible outcome is if 4 years from now I am considering working to re-elect Marshall due to the growth of SA so I will hope he does a great job.
Sure you have to give them the benefit of the doubt in that they have SA's best interests at heart, but there's a lot at stake just to brush aside any concerns about competence.
It's not so much about brushing concerns aside as accepting that the electorate made their choice and we have to live with it for 4 years. The Libs are unlikely to take on any of the Labor policies so barring a time machine those policies are now sadly irrelevant.

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#364 Post by Raider » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:00 pm

I believe the Libs also promised to move year 7 from Primary school to High school to match the rest of the country. Not sure if they'll follow through on it as they would have to spend significant funds on building new classrooms in nearly every High school in the state. Then again, there would be a lot of construction industry jobs in it.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#365 Post by Jaymz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Oops and I quoted incorrectly a few posts above. That was myself replying to mshagg, nort not involved. This multiple quoting thing gets confusing 🤔

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#366 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I 100% agree with your list Llessour.

Ser Noit of Loit
High Rise Poster!

#367 Post by Ser Noit of Loit » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:43 pm

The map in the Tiser of what the electorates voted for is interesting. Turns out I was a labor voter in an area primarily liberal and the areas I go were mainly pro liberal too.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#368 Post by neoballmon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:48 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:.
7) Not an economic game changer but the proposed Glenthorne National Park and the opening up of reservoirs for recreational activities isn't a bad proposal.
What exactly is the significance of Glenthorne? I live in Sheidow Park and cannot understand the massive objection to housing on some of the land. From my understanding, the Uni only want to use a small portion for housing and leave the rest mostly as is. There is the recreation park on the other side of Adam's Road as well as on the other side of Majors Road, the gorge near Flagstaff Hill and more open land on the other side of the Lonsdale Highway so it's not like there's a shortage of open space in the region. But this was one of Spears' (lib for Black) big election points.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#369 Post by Norman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:22 pm

I assume Glenthorne National Park will ensure that there is a green belt between the inner southern and outer southern suburbs. This is actually a good thing, Adelaide needs more green space, not less.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#370 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:48 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:.
What exactly is the significance of Glenthorne?
This project has a website https://www.glenthorne.com.au/ with some more information including:

"Glenthorne National Park is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to preserve a significant portion of open space and turn it into a thriving environmental and recreational precinct. It is a unique space in the heart of our city that will be opened up for the enjoyment of all South Australians, our children, grandchildren and future generations."

I live in the electorate and like the idea that some of the land that is currently behind closed gates, will be opened up for public use. It will pull together this land and the neighbouring conservation parks into one unified national park (larger than Belair). It will also protect the land from creeping development and maintain the clear break from the sprawl of metropolitan Adelaide.

During the election, the local Labor candidate ruled out any housing development on this land too. Hopefully this will be an election promise that can get through, unlike the trading hours.

claybro

#371 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm

Not living in SA I didn't vote in the election, however what surprises me is how little, people I speak to there seem to know of the Liberals plans. It must be released somewhere, but specifically to transport, what are their plans for N/S motorway, Gawler electrification, northwest rail corridor, Port Dock spur line, Tonsley line extension? Their thoughts on trams are well documented to the negative, but what of the others listed above?

Raider
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#372 Post by Raider » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Corey Wingard had campaigned prior to the previous election on the grade separation of the Oaklands crossing. Not sure if he brought it up this time, I'm no longer in his electorate. After Labor announced their plans for it, I'm not sure what the Libs position is. Other than that I don't recall seeing or hearing anything on rail.

Llessur2002

#373 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:54 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Not living in SA I didn't vote in the election, however what surprises me is how little, people I speak to there seem to know of the Liberals plans. It must be released somewhere, but specifically to transport, what are their plans for N/S motorway, Gawler electrification, northwest rail corridor, Port Dock spur line, Tonsley line extension? Their thoughts on trams are well documented to the negative, but what of the others listed above?
Nothing to see here...

https://strongplan.com.au/wp-content/up ... NSPORT.pdf

Waewick

#374 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Raider wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm
Corey Wingard had campaigned prior to the previous election on the grade separation of the Oaklands crossing. Not sure if he brought it up this time, I'm no longer in his electorate. After Labor announced their plans for it, I'm not sure what the Libs position is. Other than that I don't recall seeing or hearing anything on rail.
now in Boothby, the local member Nicole Flint has tweeted that the first community day is coming up tonight at the aquatic & Lesiure Cemtre 5-8

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#375 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Raider wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm
The contract for the grade separation has already been signed. It is going ahead.