Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#76 Post by SRW » Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm

To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expesnse without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1532
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#77 Post by SBD » Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expesnse without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
I have recently seen adverts in online games inviting me to join the OTR class action. Adero Law is currently "accepting registrations of interest" for class actions against Romeo's, Drakes, Mantle Hospitality and Target. It lists 12 current filed class actions including OTR, Woolworths and Coles.

These lawyers appear to be only one step above "ambulance chasing" to me.
https://www.aderolaw.com.au/class-actions/

User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 381 times

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#78 Post by SRW » Tue May 26, 2020 12:29 am

SBD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expense without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
I have recently seen adverts in online games inviting me to join the OTR class action. Adero Law is currently "accepting registrations of interest" for class actions against Romeo's, Drakes, Mantle Hospitality and Target. It lists 12 current filed class actions including OTR, Woolworths and Coles.

These lawyers appear to be only one step above "ambulance chasing" to me.
https://www.aderolaw.com.au/class-actions/
Whether chasing an ambulance or not, I would say the likelihood of there being substance to the 'accident' is high: these service-based industries have marginalised workers to the point that wage (and entitlement) theft is widespread.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1532
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview
Has thanked: 464 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#79 Post by SBD » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am

SRW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:29 am
SBD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expense without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
I have recently seen adverts in online games inviting me to join the OTR class action. Adero Law is currently "accepting registrations of interest" for class actions against Romeo's, Drakes, Mantle Hospitality and Target. It lists 12 current filed class actions including OTR, Woolworths and Coles.

These lawyers appear to be only one step above "ambulance chasing" to me.
https://www.aderolaw.com.au/class-actions/
Whether chasing an ambulance or not, I would say the likelihood of there being substance to the 'accident' is high: these service-based industries have marginalised workers to the point that wage (and entitlement) theft is widespread.
I have no first-hand experience of working for any of these companies or their industries. I have friends and relatives who did or do work for some of the other companies in the lawyer's list, but not for OTR. As such, I have no proof whether or not illegal behaviour is widespread and systemic or not. I think the legal firm's conduct is probably legal as well. That doesn't necessarily mean I like it.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1753
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 302 times
Been thanked: 633 times
Contact:

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#80 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 am

Adero, the law firm in question, won the recent court decision regarding long-term casuals being entitled to paid leave and other entitlements.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4489
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 384 times
Been thanked: 544 times

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#81 Post by rev » Tue May 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I wouldn't call it ambulance chasing.

What they're doing is putting the word out to ensure as many people that have been affected know about the class action so that they can get on board and win back what's owed to them.

Believe it or not, not everyone is in the loop of whats going on, and not everyone knows where to chase up information. So putting the word out by advertising overcomes that.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests