Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#76 Post by SRW » Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm

To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expesnse without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#77 Post by SBD » Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 pm
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expesnse without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
I have recently seen adverts in online games inviting me to join the OTR class action. Adero Law is currently "accepting registrations of interest" for class actions against Romeo's, Drakes, Mantle Hospitality and Target. It lists 12 current filed class actions including OTR, Woolworths and Coles.

These lawyers appear to be only one step above "ambulance chasing" to me.
https://www.aderolaw.com.au/class-actions/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by SRW » Tue May 26, 2020 12:29 am

SBD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
SRW wrote:
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expense without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.
I have recently seen adverts in online games inviting me to join the OTR class action. Adero Law is currently "accepting registrations of interest" for class actions against Romeo's, Drakes, Mantle Hospitality and Target. It lists 12 current filed class actions including OTR, Woolworths and Coles.

Whether chasing an ambulance or not, I would say the likelihood of there being substance to the 'accident' is high: these service-based industries have marginalised workers to the point that wage (and entitlement) theft is widespread.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD

#79 Post by SBD » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am

SRW wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:29 am
SBD wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm
SRW wrote:
To say they're 'fishing' is a bit bold. You don't pursue something over years and at great expense without some cause. And given the many recent examples of wage theft in the hospitality industry, it stands to reason that this industry with a similar profile of vulnerable workers would be experiencing some level of exploitation.

Whether chasing an ambulance or not, I would say the likelihood of there being substance to the 'accident' is high: these service-based industries have marginalised workers to the point that wage (and entitlement) theft is widespread.
I have no first-hand experience of working for any of these companies or their industries. I have friends and relatives who did or do work for some of the other companies in the lawyer's list, but not for OTR. As such, I have no proof whether or not illegal behaviour is widespread and systemic or not. I think the legal firm's conduct is probably legal as well. That doesn't necessarily mean I like it.

ChillyPhilly

#80 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 am

Adero, the law firm in question, won the recent court decision regarding long-term casuals being entitled to paid leave and other entitlements.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#81 Post by rev » Tue May 26, 2020 6:37 pm

I wouldn't call it ambulance chasing.

What they're doing is putting the word out to ensure as many people that have been affected know about the class action so that they can get on board and win back what's owed to them.

Believe it or not, not everyone is in the loop of whats going on, and not everyone knows where to chase up information. So putting the word out by advertising overcomes that.