Smoking Bans

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Smoking Bans

#16 Post by Ben » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:52 pm

Will our pub be smokefree too Howie? ;)

From the Messenger:
Pubs clearing the air

Michelle Etheridge

29Oct07

AS SMOKERS butt their cigarettes out for the last time inside pubs and clubs across the state today, some local watering holes are more ready than others to cope with the change.

As of tomorrow (November 1), smoking in enclosed public areas will be banned, forcing pubs and clubs to renovate or risk losing business.

Many pubs in the eastern and inner-south suburbs have already built new outdoor smoking areas but others are still rushing to get approval for beer gardens and courtyard areas.

Hyde Park Tavern director Tony Franzon said after Unley Council's development assessment panel (DAP) rejected his application to build a licenced outdoor smoking courtyard in July, patrons would be forced to smoke on the footpath.

``There's nowhere for smokers to go except on the street. With more people out on the footpath, there's more probability of things going wrong,'' he said.
``At least in my premises I can control what's going on.''

Unley DAP members refused permission for the courtyard over concerns about noise and lack of parking.

Mr Franzon plans to appeal against the decision in the Environment, Resources and Development Court.

At the Arkaba, Hurley Hotel Group operations manager Rob Henry said outdoor smoking areas were completed in August.

The group has also built a new beer garden at the Alma Hotel for smokers.

Mr Henry said they had no trouble securing licences for the new areas.

He did not believe the changes would have a dramatic affect.

``I think there will be a minimal downturn (initially), but everyone's pretty ready for it,'' he said.

``There will also be people who don't go to hotels because of the smoking, who will start coming.''

Chris Gibbons, manager of the Tower Hotel in Magill, said two partially undercover smoking courtyards were developed in 2003 when the hotel was refurbished.
The areas were more recently licenced to accommodate drinkers and smokers.

The SA Liquor and Gambling Commission has received about 100 applications from hotels and clubs wanting to extend licences to outdoor smoking areas over the past two months.

At press time on October 26, there were still 12 pubs and restaurants in the Eastern Courier area waiting for licence approvals for these areas.
Some places are already smokefree. HQ banned smoking inside two weeks ago and since the Hilton Hotel in Hilton reopened after it's refurbishmewnt in September smoking has been banned inside the front bar. So it still smells new two months on.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Diamond » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:49 pm

Have you been to HQ since the smoking ban? Your thoughts Ben?
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:11 pm

yeh it was great I thought. i got home and didn't have to have a shower to wash the smell out of my hair. Was my best night out in a long time!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:34 pm

I'm probably going to get grilled for this but next I want to see it completely banned along Rundle Mall and bus shelters.

Banning it in the CBD would be great, though that might be going to far :lol:

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:51 pm

I think grilled is an understatement.

People have every right to smoke if they wish as long as it doesnt affect others.... smoking in rundle mall does not affect anyone unless u walk right next to someone.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AtD » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:40 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:I think grilled is an understatement.

People have every right to smoke if they wish as long as it doesnt affect others.... smoking in rundle mall does not affect anyone unless u walk right next to someone.
It's Rundle Mall, you're always walking right next to some one. I don't know if it's any worse than standing next to stationary traffic, but it's anti-social at best.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Diamond » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:19 pm

Ben wrote:yeh it was great I thought. i got home and didn't have to have a shower to wash the smell out of my hair. Was my best night out in a long time!
Good to hear! Did you find the following 'rumours' to be true at all?...
City pubs brace for the big stink

Aaron Coultate

11Sep07

A SURPRISE side-effect of the upcoming smoking bans in pubs and clubs from November 1, will be exposure to the poor personal hygiene of many patrons

Cigarette smoke, while a health hazard, conveniently masks all sorts of body odours including flatulence, burps and perspiration, as well as other odours such as smelly carpets and toilets.

In Victorian hotels, where tobacco bans started on July 1, patrons and staff noticed the bad smells at unprecedented levels prompting even non-smokers, according to Melbourne newspapers, to question the merits of the ban, and general hygiene standards.

Melbourne venues resorted to incense sticks, scented fog machines and circulated scented oils through air conditioning vents.

``I know it has been a bit of an issue interstate,'' Australian Hotels Association SA general manager Ian Horne said.

``When the smell of smoke is gone, you will notice a range of other smells ... like the cleanliness of the carpets and the aroma of the patrons.

``Of course BO is off-putting but you don't get a disease from BO.''

Zok Szoeke, general manager of Melbourne club One-Six-One, was one to turn to incense sticks and evaporative oils to clear the air.

``We're not noticing the smell as much now,'' he told the City Messenger.

``I think some people are looking after themselves a bit more, maybe they bring some deodorant out into town with them.''

Mr Szoeke said the smelly problem hadn't completely disappeared. ``We are a smaller club, so it isn't as much of an issue. You still go to bigger places and get hit by a wall of smell when you walk in.''

Former Goodwood resident Ava Saunders, 21, now living in Melbourne, described the smell effect as ``terrible''.

``As you get closer to the dance floor you find yourself covering your nose. Then when you walk within five metres of the toilets you get the gag reflex happening,'' she said.

``I don't think the air conditioning vents work because BO just clings to everybody.''

Smoking is banned in all licensed venues from November 1. Smoking bans are already in place in every other state.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:13 pm

AtD wrote:
jimmy_2486 wrote:I think grilled is an understatement.

It's Rundle Mall, you're always walking right next to some one. I don't know if it's any worse than standing next to stationary traffic, but it's anti-social at best.
Trust me it will never happen. If you are implying that people shouldnt smoke in outside public areas, your dreaming.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by bmw boy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:29 pm

You are probably right jim... for the near future anyway.

But What I think needs to happen, is attitudes towards smoking chaning with the times (as laws have come into place gradually, through bans in restuarants and now all lisenced venues) now its hard to regulate much further than that. Where possible smokers should respect others around them.

e.g. If at a bus stop with others there and you have the urge to light up, atleast have the decency to ask if they mind if you have a smoke there. Or better yet, stand outside the shelter and have it..

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:15 am

crawf wrote:I'm probably going to get grilled for this but next I want to see it completely banned along Rundle Mall and bus shelters.

Yeah a complete ban is taking it too far, just like the ban on smoking in cars. (I don't smoke, but how dare Rann think he can tell me what I can do in my private vehicle!)

I think copying the Queensland regulation of no smoking within 4 metres of a building entrance would be a good move if it's not already being done. When I was working in the AON building on Pirie St there was always a bunch of smokers huddling near the entrance to the building and you had to walk through a cloud of smoke. Here in Brisbane the 4 metre rule has forced all the smokers into the middle of the mall since they can't sit or stand near the shops and I think it works rather well. The smokers have to spread out around the perimeter of entrances and it gives the smoke a better chance to dissipate.

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by Diamond » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:48 am

Bulldozer wrote:
crawf wrote:I'm probably going to get grilled for this but next I want to see it completely banned along Rundle Mall and bus shelters.

Yeah a complete ban is taking it too far, just like the ban on smoking in cars. (I don't smoke, but how dare Rann think he can tell me what I can do in my private vehicle!)
I think the aim of this proposed law was to protect children when parents/others smoke in that car, and rightly so!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 am

Diamond wrote:
Ben wrote:yeh it was great I thought. i got home and didn't have to have a shower to wash the smell out of my hair. Was my best night out in a long time!
Good to hear! Did you find the following 'rumours' to be true at all?...
City pubs brace for the big stink

Aaron Coultate

11Sep07

A SURPRISE side-effect of the upcoming smoking bans in pubs and clubs from November 1, will be exposure to the poor personal hygiene of many patrons

Cigarette smoke, while a health hazard, conveniently masks all sorts of body odours including flatulence, burps and perspiration, as well as other odours such as smelly carpets and toilets.

In Victorian hotels, where tobacco bans started on July 1, patrons and staff noticed the bad smells at unprecedented levels prompting even non-smokers, according to Melbourne newspapers, to question the merits of the ban, and general hygiene standards.

Melbourne venues resorted to incense sticks, scented fog machines and circulated scented oils through air conditioning vents.

``I know it has been a bit of an issue interstate,'' Australian Hotels Association SA general manager Ian Horne said.

``When the smell of smoke is gone, you will notice a range of other smells ... like the cleanliness of the carpets and the aroma of the patrons.

``Of course BO is off-putting but you don't get a disease from BO.''

Zok Szoeke, general manager of Melbourne club One-Six-One, was one to turn to incense sticks and evaporative oils to clear the air.

``We're not noticing the smell as much now,'' he told the City Messenger.

``I think some people are looking after themselves a bit more, maybe they bring some deodorant out into town with them.''

Mr Szoeke said the smelly problem hadn't completely disappeared. ``We are a smaller club, so it isn't as much of an issue. You still go to bigger places and get hit by a wall of smell when you walk in.''

Former Goodwood resident Ava Saunders, 21, now living in Melbourne, described the smell effect as ``terrible''.

``As you get closer to the dance floor you find yourself covering your nose. Then when you walk within five metres of the toilets you get the gag reflex happening,'' she said.

``I don't think the air conditioning vents work because BO just clings to everybody.''

Smoking is banned in all licensed venues from November 1. Smoking bans are already in place in every other state.
Nah no bad smell at all really tho that could have been the absinthy, bacardi 151, hypnotiq or canadian clubs i was drinking ;)

I also wish the mall to be smoke free. Its very hard to escape cigarette smoke in the mall.

it's also interesting that new tabacco sales laws come into effect today and if you walk past woolworths for example you will not see one single packet on display as now they are not allowed to be visable at all. Big changes!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:13 am

Yeah I noticed that at my local woolies the other day, it does a make a big difference

Didn't the City of Port Adelaide Enfield wanted to ban smoking at all bus shelters in its area?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:22 am

crawf wrote:Yeah I noticed that at my local woolies the other day, it does a make a big difference

Didn't the City of Port Adelaide Enfield wanted to ban smoking at all bus shelters in its area?
I think it was banning of smoking on beaches that they were looking at. To commence March 2008.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Howie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am

Ben wrote:Will our pub be smokefree too Howie? ;)
Yes but there will be a Beer Garden next to it where you're free to light up :)