Underground CBD tunnels

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

Underground CBD tunnels

#1 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:36 am

I have been wondering if a good way to improve efficeincy in our rail network is to make our trains pass through the adelaide station and under the city to the keswick station say. This would make it more viable to increase the frequencies of trains that run on these lines as turnbacks would not be an issue in the city, a rediculus setup in my books.

Now I have been hearing that there are actual underground tunnels in the city, possibly ones we could reuse instead of digging new ones.

Does anyone know anything at all on locations and how many of them were around etc etc. I would say it would be a good idea to reuse them and extend them to be used in our rail network if it is possible to do so.

Any feedback??

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Underground CBD tunnels

#2 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:57 am

Yeah man theres plenty of tunnels in and around the CBD and the suburbs.
jimmy wrote:Does anyone know anything at all on locations and how many of them were around etc etc. I would say it would be a good idea to reuse them and extend them to be used in our rail network if it is possible to do so.
Yeah I agree, but I'm not sure how big these tunnels are.
Anyway I found this on the internet, something about the tunnels around Adelaide.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thr ... pid2431195

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:17 am

man i love conspiracies!!! all though i do beliee these tunnels were either bunkers in WW2 or large sewage tunnels.
Not some sort of "Underground City"
Last edited by Cruise on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by rhino » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 am

There were tunnels under Victoria Square going from the Treasury Building (now the Medina Hotel) to other govt offices. They were built in the late 1800s I believe, and are still there, though they are now locked and disused. Some were used to store old documents when I worked there in the 1980s.
cheers,
Rhino

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:54 am

Cruise Control wrote:man i love conspiracies!!! all though i do beliee these tunnels were either bunkers in WW3 or large sewage tunnels.
:shock: WW3 ?

toby1
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#6 Post by toby1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:01 am

i had a look into these some years ago: there are many tunnels under the cbd (and some in suburbs too although don't know much about them) and they have been used for many things. I know that some of the ones near vic sq were actually used to create and store maps for a large part of the last 100 years, and only about 10 years ago they were actually running tours through some of them. apparently they were also used as storage and are large enough to move horses through with small carts. rumour has it there is even a tunnel from the railway station to where the hospital is now, and it was once used to move horses from the original cop shop (where Riverside is now) to the pastures/river that was on the RAH site.

there are more ... i just don't know about them ... yet ...
Thou Shalt Ignite That Which Burns

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Howie » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 am

Great shot from urbantwilight.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:09 pm

beamer85 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:man i love conspiracies!!! all though i do beliee these tunnels were either bunkers in WW3 or large sewage tunnels.
:shock: WW3 ?
:oops: lol typo.

and dont worry WW3 is a coming soon..... :wink:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:29 pm

Do they still have tours these days? I love this kind of stuff.

alfer7_3
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by alfer7_3 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:08 pm

I like the idea of using some of the tunnels for an underground rail system. I've always thought that a underground system should continue from the railway station under the Adelaide uni and then down Hutt Street, Wakefield/Grote Streets and back up West Tce and connect to the existing lines on the northern side of North Tce where the trains could continue back into their suburban routes. Although i dont see this happening for at least 20 years. stations could be at Adelaide uni, end of Rundle St, Victoria Sq and West Tce. Sydney, Melbourne, Brissie and soon Perth will have an underground system, we ahould too!

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by jimmy_2486 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:07 pm

Well one of the way we should improve our poor rail system is to increase the services. However we need to make the Adelaide station a pass through station and not a terminus. As well as electrification.

Even if we build more lines we will still need to do this as the adelaide station will get way overcrowded with trains turning around. It would be mayhem to manage. Could you imagine double the amount of trains at the station at peak hour, there are already like 2-3 trains docked at each platform at peak hour.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:17 pm

Howie wrote:Image
Great shot from urbantwilight.
That would be kinda freaky, walking in there :P

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#13 Post by rev » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:55 pm

Underground city? :wank:

Although that conspiracy site is pretty funny, especially how one guy tries to make a connection between "the family", killing kids, the Beaumont children, and an alleged underground city.
What the heck is "the family"? Is this some theory on Adelaide's version of "the firm"(not the strip joint on nth tce)?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:10 am

rev wrote:Underground city? :wank:

Although that conspiracy site is pretty funny, especially how one guy tries to make a connection between "the family", killing kids, the Beaumont children, and an alleged underground city.
What the heck is "the family"? Is this some theory on Adelaide's version of "the firm"(not the strip joint on nth tce)?
In the 80s five men were abducted, drugged, held captive, sexually assaulted, hideously mutilated and murdered. so very sick minded animals

Now don't get me wrong I love this state, but it has a pretty dark side that is nothing to be proud of. Though thankgod its nothing like that now...
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... ses_1.html

Gave me a bit of a fright looking at that, though its fascinating

While I don't know what Adelaide was like in the 70/80s, but I feel pretty safe in Adelaide and don't buy people from interstates claims that Adelaide isn't a safe place to be.

Though after having a good look at that you can see that a person from interstate wrote all that, looks like the person was trying to put down Adelaide (probably a vic :lol:), But the "City of Corpes"? - pfft first I've heard of that oh and the churches bit :roll:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Mants » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:48 pm

crawf wrote:
rev wrote:Underground city? :wank:

In the 80s five men were abducted, drugged, held captive, sexually assaulted, hideously mutilated and murdered. so very sick minded animals

Now don't get me wrong I love this state, but it has a pretty dark side that is nothing to be proud of. Though thankgod its nothing like that now...
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... ses_1.html

Gave me a bit of a fright looking at that, though its fascinating

While I don't know what Adelaide was like in the 70/80s, but I feel pretty safe in Adelaide and don't buy people from interstates claims that Adelaide isn't a safe place to be.

Though after having a good look at that you can see that a person from interstate wrote all that, looks like the person was trying to put down Adelaide (probably a vic :lol:), But the "City of Corpes"? - pfft first I've heard of that oh and the churches bit :roll:
i do not disagree with you in saying that Adelaide is not an unsafe place; however, it is fair enough that many people from interstate do see Adelaide as the crime hole of Australia, or, in this case "City of Corpses".

you only have to look at cases which have had great attention from the media. of course there was truro in the seventies and snowtown in the nineties which saw Adelaide gain the label as a crime hole.

and more recently...names like megumi suzuki, maya jakic, peter falconio and carly ryan all come to mind.

so i guess its not that stupid that adelaide has gained such a nickname.